post partum anxiety

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by saviour, Jul 9, 2009.

1. saviour

saviour New IL'ite

hi all. my sister had a baby 2 months ago. she's been slipping in and out of pangs of anxiety for no apparent reason. she jus doesn't get sleep at nights ans struggles even for a wink of sleep. can anyone please help. she's totally fine with the baby.plays with her and feeds her with a lot of care.but has these crazy mood swings. can anyone help. plz.

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Saviour,

First of all, it is just nice to see your care in inquiring on behalf of your sister.

Post partum anxiety, overwhelming feeling and mood swings are so common. It is all because of the hormones taking a toll after the delivery. Some people manage it easily while a few struggle to take it. Sleeplessness is also common. So don't worry.

Ask your sister to go for workouts, at least for a nice long walk in the mornings and evenings, get some fresh air. That will make her feel good. Ask her to take some time off the baby. Sometimes taking too much care of the baby, spending all the time with them can also be overwhelming.

Ask her to do whatever interests her for some time during the day - say browsing the net (she can join IL and participate here :), read books, listen to music, watch some TV, etc. That will help her to relax. Sometimes she might also find difficult to concentrate, but that's fine to try taking some time for herself.

Is she with your parents or with in-laws or alone with her baby? This also matters a lot. If she is alone may be she is thinking how to grow up such a small baby and that might be taxing her. Ask her to talk to her DH whatever she feels. If she is with parents or in-laws, good for her, ask her to give the baby to them for a couple of hers and be herself that time.

Workout should especially help to relieve the stress and settle the hormones gradually. Good luck for you sis and take care.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Gonna agree with the PP! par for the course and yet could be something that you can easily avoid.
    Interestingly, though my mother and my sister were never diagnosed with post-partum depression, they too reported symptoms that sounded very similar to what you said. When I started feeling like that, my OB suggested I consider anti-depressants that are breastfeeding safe. If there is a family history, then I would urge you to ask your sister to talk to her OB about PPD.
    How is the baby sleeping in the nights? Frankly, it took my mood swing a long time to settle, till DS started sleeping 4 to 6 hours in the night. Lack of deep sleep in the night will have a devastating effect on the mother. As family, you can lend support to her. Hope this helps.

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I had the same when my baby was about 3 months old and my mom had to leave. Could not sleep a wink even though my baby was napping 3-4 hours at a time. I drove myself and my husband nuts due to this lack of sleep. The only thing that helped me was having my mom back to help me with the baby. Only then could I sleep peacefully. Is there anyone available to help your sis with the baby? If she can find someone to take care of the baby that is trustworthy then I am sure she will be able to rest and feel better soon.