New born birth certificate, ssn and passport

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by aparna_cse, Mar 18, 2009.

1. aparna_cse

aparna_cse New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am looking for some information about infants born in US.

I heard that baby's registration would be done immediately after birth. I want ur help in learning as to what happens after baby's registration is done. Where do we need to apply for her birth certificate and ssn? Can anyone tell me how long it would take for a baby to get her birth certificate, ssn, passport after her birth?

Awaiting a reply,

Cheers..

2. dhanasathesh

dhanasathesh New IL'ite

Hi Aparna,

My daughter was born on Dec 2nd, 2008 in Austin, Texas. Here I am telling what happened for us in TX. It might be little different in your state.

After the delivery, the hospital itself give you the papers for Birth Certificate, SSN and Vaccination record. The documents are supposed to be fill by the mother. You should give clear details in all aspects. Especially baby's name.

We got SSN after two weeks from the date of her birth. The hospital instructed us to apply for Birth certificte after three/four weeks. You can either apply it in person or through online. The hospital itself given the address where to apply. We applied through Online and got it in next 10 days. (Actually 5/7 working days). For Birth certificates they give three different sizes like Full, Walltet etc., you can select as per your need and also the number of copies. For each copy we paid around $22.

Regarding the passport, after getting the Birth certificate you can apply at any time. Passport application form can be downloaded / get it from post office and filled. But dont sign in the application form prior. Check the post office having the passport application facility and get the appointment. Both mother and father should appear in person with their pasports and visa. After the verification they ask you to sign in front of them. Regarding the photo you can take it in the post office itself. We paid $101 for passport process (including photo for $15). Better if you can take it in home and print it. Even its very cheap if you print in Walmart (less than a dollar for 8 copies). In post office they never took good snaps. We got our daughter's passport in two weeks by USPS mail. If you are in hurry you can get it in a week by paying additional $60. Along with the passport application form you have to give the original birth certificate for verificarion. They will return it in a seperate mail after one week when you get the pasport.

I think this information is more enough for you, if you have any doubts ask me, I can help you...

Regards,
    Dhana Sathesh

3. aparna_cse

aparna_cse New IL'ite

Dear Dhana Sateesh,

Thanks a lot for that information. All that was pretty useful.

Can u pls tell me what exactly they look for in a baby's photo? I remember, for US visa, it was a must that the photograph should be a front view(both ears should be visible in the photo). What r those photographs called? any special name?

Also how long would it take for baby to get an Indian visa?

Cheers,

4. dhanasathesh

dhanasathesh New IL'ite

Hi Aparna,

We took our daughter's photo in the post office itself. So I dont have much idea regarding this. But you can get more info in this link
    Special Requirements for Children Under Age 16
    If you want to be worry free, better take it in the post office.

For Indian visa you can get it in the same day. But you should goto the embassy in person. You can get visa for 5/10 years. We applied PIO card for our daughter 20 days back in Houston Embassy. But still didnt get it. You can apply PIO card in online also. For PIO card my husband took the photo in my home and we print it in Walmart for 56c for 8 copies. In Walgreen they charge $25 for 4 copies. For PIO card the photo must be in clear white/light background and the size is 3.5cmX3.5cm.

You have to take money order for PIO card/Visa. For more info, better you check with your state Indian embassy.

When is your EDD?

Regards,
    Dhana Sathesh

5. aparna_cse

aparna_cse New IL'ite

Dear Dhana Sateesh,

Thanks a lot for that information. It was very useful.

I am expecting a baby on May 5th.

cheers,

6. divyrat

divyrat New IL'ite

Dear Aparna,

Hope you and your baby is fine.

Iam Divya , in charlotte . I also come under Washington Jurisdiction. MY EDD is Oct 13 th and need to travel back to india by end of October. So looking for ways getting birth certificate , Passport and Indian Visa /PIO as early as possible. Kindly share your experience.

Thanks in Advance,
    Divya

7. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kareena,
    Welcome to Indus Ladies & to this forum...
    You can find our forum guidelines here...

Congrats on your pregnancy. If you are interested, you can join in Due date club for October mommies!
    Take care...

8. reddyinusa

reddyinusa New IL'ite

hi all,

I am blessed with a baby boy :)

9. reddyinusa

reddyinusa New IL'ite

hi divyrat,

My heartiest congratulations to u... Do enjoy the precious moments now and ahead..
    coming to the information you are looking for,
    I reside in virginia state. For international travel, baby needs US passport and visa. For passport, we need SSN and birth certificate from the state u r residing in. I received my boy's SSN in 10 days(we apply it in hospital itself). We were told to apply for birth certificate after a month. The reason being, the state office has to recieve a copy from hospital, Only then they would issue birth certificate, We applied for birth certificate after a month.We recieved birth certificate after 2 weeks through post. In ur case, you can speed up the process by visiting state office directly and getting birth certificates in hand on the same day. Passoport will take 4 weeks for normal processing and 2 weeks for premium processing. Next step is to apply for visa/poi card. I heard POI card is taking 2-3 months these days. However u would get VISA within a day.
    To add up, the entire process will take not less than 2 months.

I wonder if you can get all documents within 15-18 days as you have mentioned,

All, pls let me know if there are any options for premium processing at any stage other than passport.

Aps

10. divyagirish

divyagirish New IL'ite

Hi everyone....
    I am due on nov 5th and our project ends on nov 31.....and we may have to move to other state...
    my worries are.. can we apply for birth certificate and passport from other place(state) with in US online else should we apply from place where the baby was born...