Normal delivery Vs C-Section

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by dsrini, Apr 26, 2007.

1. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Inducing Labor

I am 38 weeks pregnant, my doctor said that she is going to induce the labor because of the baby's weight. I am little worried about that, anybody who had an induced labor plz share ur experience, that would be really helpful.
    Anywayz she asked me to come and admit coming Sunday midnight.
    All these days I was cool, but now I am feeling a bit nervous. However labor goes , I just want my baby to be healthy.

Hope to c ur replies.

Thanks
    -Dhivya

Admin Note: Check our feature

8 Reasons Why a Normal Delivery is a Better Option for You

2. Pritirach

Pritirach Silver IL'ite

Re: Inducing Labor

Hi Dhivya
    Yes i had a induced labour 2 yrs back.My problem was not the weight of the baby but cervix or uterus(i dont know the perfect term) does not open up even after 9 months so she had to induce labour.I too was worried and my parents decided to take a second opinion.The other doctor also suggested the same thing . Dont worry there is nothing to worry about it.They inject some medicine in your vagina so that the uterus opens up.But the only thing is U are not sure of the normal delivery.IT is 50 -50.IT largely depends on your body and how it reacts.If after inducing your body reacts normally and pains start then it could be anormal delivery otherise c section is the option.Doctors generlly wait for 24 hrs before going for c section I had a normal one though, and that too within 2 and 1/2 hrs of labor.
    Dont worry too much .Trust your doctor.she is the best person to judge your situation.After all u want a healthy baby isnt' it.

In my case my son had done potty inside and also cord was around his neck.So listening the doctor's advice gave me a healthy baby.DOnt worry it does not affect u or the baby anyway.Trust your doctor completely.

Cheer up
    All the best
    Waiting for the good news on this site.
    Priti

sindmani likes this.
  3. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Hi Dhivya,

I too had a similar problem like Priti, cervix was not dilating and the doctor put some medicine (some tablet) couple of times to start the dilation and it worked fine and I had a normal delivery.
    My water had broken, so went to hospital and they got me admitted because the baby also had meconium inside. The doctor then checked me and told me that usually after the water breaks, the contractions will start within 24hrs. But it never happened for me and then the doctor decided to induce by putting 1/4 tablet first. It did not help much, then they put 1/2 tablet and after that the labor was not that long for me...within 2 hrs I was dilated 5cms and I took an epidural...and then within the next 45mins I was fully dilated and had a normal delivery...but the baby's heart rate was coming down..so last minute doctor decided to use forceps...glad he did that instead of taking me to operation theatre for a C-Section:)

Don't worry too much.....your doctor is the best person and talk to them to clear all your worries. You will have a healthy baby...don't worry too much.

-Sihi

sindmani likes this.
  4. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Thank you very much to both of u for responding immediately.
    In my case case my cervix have started to dialted (it has dilated nearly 2 cm) and also baby's head has engaged and also I am starting to get pain, but not frequently.
    As u both said I totally trust my doctor.

Once again thanks (both of u)for ur reply.

-Dhivya

sindmani likes this.
  5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Dsrini

Mine was also induced labour at 36 weeks due to hypertension and GD.My BP hit 180/110 and so the doctors decided to induce labour.This was in India so the process was a little different.First,they injected a gel like substance,contractions started then subsided.That was in the morning.Then at noon,the doctor again applied gel,this by inserting almost her whole fist inside.It was quite painful to tell you the truth.Again contractions started and subsided.At night,finally,the doctor induced labour again by making a small fissure on the uterus thru' the vagina.I am really not sure of what she did.This started proper contractions and my baby was born by normal delivery in the morning.

From what I heard from the others here,I think the process of inducing labour in the U.S., is not as painful as my experience above.So relax. This is normally done when the cervix is not dilated.Full dilation is 9 cms for a normal delivery.
    All the best.

sindmani likes this.
  6. Tamanna12

Tamanna12 New IL'ite

hi for me water bag broked in my home we went hospital but i did not get pain. so doctor decided to induce me. morning 6 o clock they induce me evening 3 o clock i had normal delivery oneore thing i didn't took epidural my baby is big baby.its depend upon your body. so dont worry all the best.:2thumbsup:

7. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

I Thank all of u for ur reply.
    Its really comforting for me to read all ur experience.
    Day after tomorrow night I need to go and admit in the hospital.

Once again thanks to all of u for sharing ur experience.

-Dhivya

8. rshilpa

rshilpa New IL'ite

chances of C-section with induced labor

hi all,

i had a baby boy last year with induced labor resulting in C-section and two of my friends are due this month and their docs have suggested to go for induction.is it true that inducing a labor results in C-section? just wanted to know if any one of u had the same experience.

appreciate ur replies

thanks in advance

shilpa

9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: chances of C-section with induced labor

Hi Shilpa,

Welcome to IL. Is there any reason your friends docs are suggesting induction? Do your friends have any complication like Diabetes or anything?
    Anyway with induction, it really depends on how the doctor, nurses and the hospitals handles it. Both my deliveries were induced ( first, my water broke and no labor pains. second one , i was over my due date and no labor pains). Both times, after induction, i had a normal delivery. of course for me, they took it slowly, the medication dosage was increased gradually and it took like the normal 10 hour labor that most women go through.
    So it is possible to have a normal delivery with induction too. It all depends on the mental frame of the laboring lady, and the doctor involved in the delivery.

Hope this helps
    Vandhana

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Re: chances of C-section with induced labor

I too had induced labour because of gestational diabetes and high BP but normal delivery. I am sure induced labour does not always result in C-section...why would one induce labour if anyway it was going to end in C-section?

ForumLady likes this.