Does the second delivery have to be a C-section too?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by rojaramesh2005, Jan 23, 2008.

1. rojaramesh2005

rojaramesh2005 New IL'ite

Is normal delivery possible after a 'C' section delivery in the 1st pregnancy?

Hi,

I had my first delivery as 'c section' . Again iam pregnant now. Is there any chance to get normal delivery.

thanks in advance,
    roja.

2. Deepi

Deepi Senior IL'ite

Re: pregnant

Hi roja,

Usually i have heard ppl saying that if first delivery is c-section second will also be the same.
    Anyways u can consult with ur doctor if u can try for normal delivery. She would be the best person to clear this doubt of urs.

luv,
    deepi.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi roja,

Congrats on your pregnancy. Your second delivery can be a normal one based on the reasons for your c-section in the first delivery.

If you did not have contractions, and your pelvic muscles are not flexible , then the second could also be a c-section.

If it was for reasons like heart beat of the baby, or other instances second delivery can be normal....

Your doctor will be the best judge in any case....
    all the best

4. rojaramesh2005

rojaramesh2005 New IL'ite

Hi,

thanks for ur reply.

5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hello Roja, I discussed just this with my gyn today:) Mine was a last minute c-section and now i'm pregnant again. she said since i had opened up well etc., in the first delivery chances are that i'll also deliver normally. But only as the pregnancy progresses the gyn can assess how much my previous scar can handle and based on that they'll recommend a planned c-section or otherwise. Latha

6. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Re: Is normal delivery possible after a 'C' section delivery in the 1st pregnancy?

Ob/gyns in the west are trained to encourage C-section as it is less stressful for everyone including the doc. If your doc gives you an option to try vaginal delivery then you could try it and if it becomes too stressful they can always give an epidural and make it a C. Though vaginal delivery is supposedly the normal way to deliver it comes with its own pros and cons. So take it as it comes and do not fret if you choose one method over the other. Surgical care is well advanced now that they take 2 weeks or less to recover even from C-section.

-L.

7. rajisrinivasan

rajisrinivasan New IL'ite

anyone would tell me ... if the first delivery is ceasarian, will the second too be the same? pl throw light on this. first baby delivered five years before, intimate the complications if any, arising on the second delivery?

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Re: delivery

Hi Raji,

Like my gyn said once caesarian is not necessarily always one. And yours was 5 yrs back. If your doctor is understanding enough then why not a normal delivery? They'll only have to make sure the stitches from the operation is well healed to avoid rupture during contractions.

My first one was c-section (3 yrs back,in Bangalore) and now my 2nd one is normal (2 months back, in Germany). I have recovered so quick. They had to induce the labor but monitored me very well.

I may be wrong here, but i understand most doctors in India prefer c-section the 2nd time if you already had one! so talk with your doctor and insist on a normal delivery when other conditions (head fixed etc.,) are also favourable. I must say it depends entirely on the gyn.

Latha

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Raji,
    It all depends on why you neded a C-section the first time, whether the scar (the one in the uterus not the external scar) has healed well and the baby's size/position/complications and your health this time. Latha is right that in India the concept of VBAC (vaginal birth after C section) is not a popular one and older docs esp will not agree to try for a vaginal delivery. Try to find an OBG who supports you in this.

Vanathi.

10. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi

How do we know abt the healing of internal scar, i mean the scar in uterus? Will the doctor can predict during regular check up, bcos i am concerned in that as my incision opened sometime after delivery!