Weight gain during breastfeeding. Is it common ?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by amnilakshmi, Oct 19, 2014.

1. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    My baby is 5 months old. I am feeding my baby but i find my weight is increasing daily. Is this common?

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Are you eating extra for the baby?
    Usually it is the other way round. Breastfeeding helps you get back into shape.
    Sometimes new mom continue eating for two in the name of breastfeeding.Could that be the case with you?If so...eat healthy for one and take the supplements prescribed by the doctors.

Also start some exercise. Taking the baby for a walk in the pram is excellent for both mom and child.

take care and best wishes.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Some women get their periods (sometimes just occasionally) when they are breastfeeding. Perhaps you are working into a period. Warning: if this is the case, you can also get pregnant so use birth control if you don't want baby #2 right away.

4. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Usually, it's the other way round. I lost 30-40 lbs of my weight during bf ing / pumping time and now my weight is stable since I started weaning process.

I think may be you're eating more to make milk or bf ing will make you feel hunger and we tend to eat more. That should be the cause.

5. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No, it is not common..

Eat for 1 person only since you need just few more calories to breastfeed; not the DOUBLE. Also, the best advice I have ever received, go for 1 hour walk pushing the baby in the stroller.. Very good for weight loss and fresh air and relaxes your mind.