weight loss after delivery

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by kshema, Jun 27, 2014.

1. kshema

kshema Bronze IL'ite

I just delivered baby boy 20 days back.. Please help me to reduce my weight.. I ate too much in pregnancy.. Gained almost 18 kgs..-(72kgs)- After, delivery automatically reduced 10kgs.. Now it is 62kgs.. Want to loose 10kgs.. As I heard taking hot water bath regularly during postpartum and having more garlic in food reduces weight.. If its true how many days it will take to come back to shape?? . Please give some more tips..

2. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kshema,

I'm not sure about this hot water bath and garlic in food.
    But healthy sensible eating and regular exercise will help you in a long run.

There are many threads in Keep Fit & Maintain Shape forum which will keep you in track. Many members have successfully lost weight. Please check it out.

3. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi kshema,

Congrats to you on delivering the baby friendssmiley

Hot water bath - advised for soothing/healing the wounds
    Garlic - increase heat in the body

They are advised so that the uterus shrinks back to normal in the confinement period after delivery.. They WILL NOT bring your weight down.

Breast feeding surely helps you reduce weight, sensible healthy diet, moderate exercise after the 6 weeks mark after delivery.. Its just 20 days, dont worry. concentrate on yourself and the baby first.. But just make sure you don't over-eat.

Good luck

4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Congrats on your little bundle of joy :)

Weight loss is a mind game. Specially it will take a toll on your mind during postpartum. Thanks to the special hormones, deprived sleeps, and other bodily changes to name it.

It is just 20 days post your delivery. Relax
    Give some time to your body to heal.

If it is a normal delivery, then you can probably start doing basic exercise from the 1st month
    If it is a c-section, and if there is no further complications afterwards, it is best to resume any exercise after 3rd month.
    Meanwhile, be vigilant on what you eat.

I delivered a baby 9 months back. It was my second pregnancy. Due to stress, the constant siting position at office, and of course heavy eating, I gained some 18+ kgs this time.
    Unfortunately I lost only 6+ kgs immediately after delivery, so the remaining were always alarming. I had a tough time at the beginning, specially when we celebrated the 31st day function of my little girl, I felt miserable to wear a sari.
    I had some complications with my second c-section too, so I couldn't stretch my body beyond certain extend to exercise too.

I started my weigh loss plan in March. That time my little one was almost 6 months. So, she had started with solids.

I completely avoided oily foods. No fried items, no gee or no any oily stuff in the plate
    I completely avoided tea or coffee. Instead I replaced them with green tea
    Instead of white flour, I replaced the whole wheat for everything
    Instead of white rice, I replaced the red rice
    Instead of meats, I replaced small fish
    Instead of coke or any carbonated beverage, I substituted water
    Reduced the egg intake, and other fat intakes such as cheese, butter and margarine
    Drastically reduced the amount of sugary stuff that I take.

Then the changes in the size of my portion. I slowly reduced the size, so that I won't feel hungry
    But today I eat almost 1/2 of what I ate some 3 months back. But my stomach is toned to that.

Since I was not allowed to do any heavy exercise, I walked.
    I walked as much as I cook. Not in the sense of doing an exercise, but instead of taking the car for little distance, or climbing the stair case instead of using the lift.

For example... I asked my husband to drop me in a main road in the morning, so that I will have to walk some 15 mins to reach my office in a sub road. Same happens during the return trip too.

During the return trip, I usually get down in a supper market or shop one the way home. So that I get to walk for some 15-20 mins in the evening as well.

I did most of the chores at home, despite having a maid and my mom for help. Bending, moping, sweeping and all that whenever possible. Lifting my little one from the cradle, and going for small walking to the garden with kids all count when it comes to calorie counts.

I started drinking a lot of luke warm water.

Today I've lost almost 10 kgs, and I am yet to lose some 5 kgs to reach my BMI goal. However, I am already in a toned shape, and most of my pre-pregnancy cloths are back to my wardrobe now.

Most importantly, you need to breast feed your little one constantly to let your womb shrink, so that you can have a flat tummy.
    In addition to that, do some tummy exercise daily.

3 people like this.
  5. Nidhi2014

Nidhi2014 Silver IL'ite

That's great SGBV!!, losing 10 kgs in these 3 months is really healthy and am sure it would be permanent as you achieved this goal by following healthier method.

i delivered my baby 1.5 months back, I gained a lot during pregnancy mainly by eating a lot of healthy goods (more hunger, bigger portions sizes). I was 98 kgs before delivery and 2 weeks post delivery I was 86 kgs and stuck there for another one month. My pre pregnancy weight was 70kgs I was overweight by 10 kgs)

now recently I see I am 84.5 kgs. I have one Q for you: did your breast milk supply go low once you started reducing portion sizes? I am exclusively BFing but eating a lot as well due to being hungry. I eat v healthy foods like salad, green veggies with less almost no oil, homemade skim milk paneer, rotis etc..

Nidhi

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  6. kshema

kshema Bronze IL'ite

Thanks to all for ur replies...
    @SGBV losing 10kgs is not easy.. u did it.. I was very thin and my wardrobe is full of beautiful sarees and jeans kurtas... I will not eat any oil r junk food.. When can I start drinking green tea instead of coffee... I hav one month old baby now.. It will nt affect him knw??

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks ladies

I don't think reduced portion size or green tea will affect the breast milk anyway. You don't need to eat anything extra to BF your baby. Specially if you are over weight.

Instead of having 3 full meals, you can try to split it to 5 times. Each time go for small meals. Substitute it with fruits and whole grains.

Milk made me gain a lot of weight in the past. I am not a vegetarian, so I get enough protein from the fish and lean meat. So, I totally avoided the milk.

Brest milk supply can only be increased by the pattern of sucking by your baby. If she/he sucks properly, and in a regular interval, then don't worry. The body will calculate it according to his needs, amount and time.

I did take my green tea after 4th month of my delivery. It was okay, and I followed my dietitian's advice.

Hunger is not avoidable while BFing, Specially after a free diet during pregnancy it is really tough to control. Drink a lot of water whenever you feel hungry. Eat some nuts and fruits too. Slowly you feel better.

Now a days, I can't eat the amount which I used to eat before. I would feel full easily, so no hunger feeling anymore.

Above all, open your wardrobe every now and then. As long as you miss your nice cloths, you will start to hate your food. Kidding :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Nidhi2014

Nidhi2014 Silver IL'ite

SGBV,

thanks for for this post!!

i missed reading it earlier as I have been busy..
    its great to hear that reducing portion size is not going to affect BF from someone who has lost weight.

tc and keep up the good work,

nidhi

9. Tanu6

Tanu6 New IL'ite

Hi
    First thing you should do is tie a cotton saree around your whole abdomen very tightly. This will definitely help to reduce postpartum tummy a lot. You can start doing this from the next day after your delivery if its normal delivery. I was over weight during pregnancy. Had gained 22 kgs(84 kgs). Lost 6 as soon as i delivered. In 3 months had lost 9 kgs. My mom had done nice bananthana(postpartum care) for me.
    She used to prepare food with lots of garlic and pepper. Lots of veggies..No gassy food. No green chillies in food. Just red chillies.. she used to use dried coconut (Kobbari) instead of fresh coconut. But she used to use ghee for everything instead of oil. This helps with constipation. I suffered with hemorrhoid. For breakfast either rava dosa or wheat dosa. I did this for 3.5 months. And i breastfed exclusively. No formula.. But trust me wen you will eat this kind of food for this long period you will go into depression and crave for tasty food. :)

10. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

tanu is right.. The postpartum care of tying your abdomen has been there for many years especially in the South Asian Countries.. And it works!! and especially during meal times, you can't eat a lot.. But make sure you drink sufficient fluids and eat healthy snacks now and then..