Quick help required to save and use frozen milk

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by AnithaPartha, Apr 19, 2014.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi ladies,
    i started saving BM in freezer as I have good supply for now and so thought to save it for time being. I know that frozen milk can be used until 5 months and deep frozen ones even longer upto an year..

Q's:
    1. How to use frozen milk for baby? Should we first transfer it to refrigerator (for thawing)?
    2. Once kept in refrigerator how long can we use it? Upto 5 days ?
    3. Frozen milk will be in the form of ice. Once kept in refrigerator it will turn to liquid and then can we take out and keep in warm water before feeding baby?
    4. If baby leaves 10 ml of thawed milk.. Can we refrigerate that again and use in 24 hrs or do we need to discard?

I usually store in refrigerator (good for 5 days) and during feeds I take it out and keep in warm water to feed baby.

Is this procedure correct?

2. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Anitha,

I also deep freezed and used the milk for my kid.

If you decide to deep freeze milk, deep freeze it immediately after expressing.Do not keep it in refrigirator for 5 days and then deep freeze.This way the nutrients will not be lost.

If you decide to thaw the frozen milk, keep it in refrigirator for 24 hours and once it is thawed/turned to liquid form, you can keep it in warm water and then feed.But do not re refrigirate or freeze the remaining milk.Just discard them.

Hope i have answered your questions.

2 people like this.
  3. AnithaPartha

JGVR,

Thanks so much for the information !

I've few more questions to all ladies out there:

1. I'm running out of medela storage bottles (80 ml ones) so am planning to buy storage bags. Is that a good idea to buy storage bags (Lansinoh bags)? or medela bags are good? Please suggest !

2. My baby takes 75 ml for every feed. Let's say my bag can store upto 85 ml. In this case, I freeze 85 ml milk and once it turns to liquid form then I warm up the milk but baby requires only 75 ml. In this case, how to store the remaining 10 ml? Should I remove that 10 ml (when it is in liquid form) before I thaw it and use for next feeding?

3. Once, I start to feed my baby and if instead of 75 ml let's say he takes only 65 ml then can I save that 10 ml for next feeding using a different nipple or we should discard the used milk?

4. Mostly, storage bags limits are in 180 ml's.. If I freeze them then how will I separate milk into 75 ml's for each feed? Frozen milk will be in the ice form and have to refrigerate to turn it to liquid form. When it turns to liquid form, can I then separate 180 ml's into 75 ml in separate bottles?

Right now am labeling each and every bottle - Time, date I pumped milk and giving them in the order. I know, this is a challenging job right now for me :)

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

1. I used Lansinoh bags. They were good.

2. Pack in small amounts. Once thawed don't freeze it again. You can try and break 3/4th of the frozen milk. But it is not a good idea. The thick and thin part of BM will kind of separate when kept while freezing.

3. If the next feed is within 1 hour then you use. Otherwise discard it.

4. Store in small quantities. It will make life easier.

5. AnithaPartha

Hi Ramya,

thank you!
    Are storage bags reusable? I never used them before so am
    not sure .. Also, I heard that we need to keep bags in flat position in the freezer and while thawing we just need to drop into a vessel of warm water?

As you said I will store 75 ml in each bag though it can store a greater capacity .. If they're reusable it's five else we may need to end up buying more bags right ..

Appreciate if someone could answer these q's..

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Bags are not reusable.

Keeping them in flat position helps save space in freezer.
    Check this idea for storing BM: Breast Milk Storage | GreenLiteBites

You can run the bags under hot (not super hot) tap water to thaw it out.

7. AnithaPartha

Thanks for the link Ramya.. Will read ..

8. AnithaPartha

hello ladies,

quick question:
    when you store 6oz milk in a storage bag and freeze it.. As a part of thawing, when you shift that iced milk into refrigerator it turns to liquid form in 10-12 hours or even more.
    Once it turns to liquid form, do you take the required feed amount for baby (May be 2 oz) and leave the rest in the refrigerator itself?

In that case, how long is that liquid form milk good in the refrigerator? (Upto 5 days)????

Please let me know.

9. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Thawing frozen breast milk
    •Breast milk can be thawed in the fridge or at room temperature in a warm water bath.
    •Breast milk that has been thawed in the fridge but not warmed should be used within 24 hours, and should not be refrozen.
    •Breast milk that has been thawed outside the fridge in warm water can be used immediately, or stored in the fridge for up to 4 hours.

10. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

If u keep freshly expressed milk in the fridge it can be used within 3-5 days. Frozen milk that is thawed should be used within 24 hours.
    When I store milk, I store as much as required for one feed. I don't fill 6oz although that is the capacity. One reason is I don't get that much even now for one session. I get half an oz less than what she drinks during formula feed. Anyway it's easier to be able to thaw and give the baby the whole quantity of milk. Now to answer your question, if you do want to separate (not advised), you can gently swirl it (not vigorous) and separate it BEFORE feeding. This thawed milk has to be used within 24hours.
    Kellymom.com is a good site for all this information as it has a table with the required information.

1 person likes this.