Passing blood clots post delivery - Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by AnithaPartha, Apr 18, 2014.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ladies,

I delivered my LO on 4/10/14 vaginally. I'm bleeding since day 1 and it is continuing (today completing week 1). I'm seeing blood clots when I use restroom but sometimes bleeding becomes lighter as if it is going to stop but all of sudden it turns to bright red color and passing clots.

Is this normal after delivery?

Between, am breast feeding my baby.

Few more questions:
    1. How long bleeding continues (I know it differs women to women) but still an approximate answer?
    2. Will bleeding color changes from light to bright and vice versa?

2. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Anitha Partha,

1) I had bleeding for nearly two months, dear. As you mentioned, its person to person. If bleeding is heavy and wets 3-4 pads a day, call your gynac immediately. Else, its absolutely fine.

2) Yes, color changes.

3. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP,Congrats on your baby.Its normal to bleed clots.Take lots of rest and try to near restroom as much as possible. It shudnt be too long before your bleeding stops.Mine stopped in 20 days.If you have any doubts with anything you are experiencing call the nurse .She will clear your doubts immediately.Good Luck.

4. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi anitha,

Acc to me I think 3-4 pads still come under the normal range after delivery . If you are not able to use 1 pad more than 2 hours, then please check with be doc for excessive bleeding. And make sure you use the long wide maternity ones, not the regular.

Clots are normal. And yeah colour changes until its almost colourless

5. april1981

april1981 Gold IL'ite

Hi anitha..
    even I passed blood clots in initial days and yes it does change colour. Mine was there for 22 days and the flow reduces gradually. You will come to know when it will stop

6. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

sorry Anitha Partha. I was in a haste and typed erroneously. Your call is when you drench a pad every hour or you get a foul smell from the discharge (the smell should be just like your period).

There might be clots in the discharge as placenta related tissues would get wiped out during this discharge. Bleeding might be heavy for the first 10-15 days and it should get reduced thereafter.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014