Sufficent milk supply

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by renutn, Mar 24, 2013.

1. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I am mother of 6 month old. Till now i am EBF. And every month her weight is increasing not 100% but satisfactory since she born with average weight so my paed says it is okay.
    But now I feel my milk supply is not sufficient but when I squeeze my nipples I can see milk coming not as drop but as fountain type. As I don't get time much in this routine not able to pump and see.
    I want to clarify this - does squeezing means I have enough milk?

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you see milk after squeezing then it means you are still producing milk. If your baby is full and does not require another meal/feed for atleast 2 hours after you BF then you are producing sufficient milk.

By 6 months babies are usually suplemented with solids. So you should be able to manage.

What do you mean by weight is increasing not 100%? How are you defining 100%?

3. binduttc

binduttc New IL'ite

Hi,

I hear you... even my daughter had difficulty gaining weight with breastfeeding. Exclusively breastfed babies gain weight slowely. If the paed said she is ok I guess you should'nt be worried.

I guess you have enough milk and babies are the best pump:) the more you keep feeding the baby more milk will be produced..

At 6 months you can start solid food too

All the best

Bye
    Bindu

4. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Thank you ramyaramani
    I am giving her solids 2 times. After solids i feed her with BM.
    Each visit when they check they say 10% weight gain.
    Agree she plays 2-3 hrs after every feed. But with this mind set I don't leave her for2 hrs i fed her within.
    And she takes 3-4 mins to fill her tummy. Does this okay?

5. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Thanks bindu...I also heard the same and also I heard after 5 months milk supply reduces. So I just want to check how to know about this?