Side Effect of Epidural - Backpain........Is it true??

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by priyankanath, Aug 1, 2011.

1. priyankanath

priyankanath Gold IL'ite

Hello ladies:hiya,

I am due in september this year and as u all know I really cant say whether its going to be a Normal Delivery or a C-Section! But nonetheless I wish to go for epidural as pain management in both cases.
    I have heard that sometimes after Epidural women face some chronic backpain which doesnt seem to go after a long time post delivery also thus making it chronic:hide: Wanted to know from all experienced Moms that IS IT TRUE? Is there any side effect of using epidural? Plus even if women get backpain after epidural....does the pain go away after sometime or it becomes chronic for life??

Please ladies your opinions would be very helpful for me to take the right decision.

Thanks in advance,
    Priyanka :)

2. rsmadras

rsmadras Bronze IL'ite

HI PRIYAKANATH,
    First of all my best wishes and prayers for u.
    i had c-section 5 months back. yes i ve back pain even now. At present im at my mom's place so not doing much work. Even-though i ve pain after sitting for a long time. Im really fed up of this. Don know how im gonna manage to do work after going back to my husbands place. BUt when i enquired about this pain with few others, many says they dont feel much as i do. When i asked doctor they asked me to drink plenty of water and eat healthy it ll go lik that.
    thanks for this thread. i would lik to know about this.

3. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

I have taken epi n had c-section a yr ago, I used to have back pain but it was due to my breast size as I was breast feeding n when ever my breast were full I used to develop back pain , but when I stop feeding n weaned DS ... My breast became normal size n never had any back pain till today.

Hope you have a safe delivery.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Priyanka, how are you dear? Long time, sept is coming so fast eh!

I am planning on going for epidural too. My SIL who has delivered an year ago took epidural. She wasnt breast feeding but she never complained about 'severe' back pain. For the first 2 weeks she was weak and we took care of the baby and her and after that she was pretty much fine.
    My sis who had a c-section after a long labor says the same thing.

I was talking to my yoga instructor and my doctor about this and both of them think very highly of epidural as pain mngt technique. They say that as long as the person giving the epidural is trained and knows what he/she is doing, we should be fine.

I am taking their word for it and in the birth plan (to be submitted to my hospital in Nov) I have mentioned that I would be willing to take epidural if the pain becomes unbearable.

Hope this helps.

5. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I took epidural 4 months back.
    I dint have any chronic pain so far. But i do have lower back pain , however this is mainly due to the baby weight. My son was a 9lb baby and i had the same back pain from 6months of pregnancy.. I dint use any belly support belt and this is a side-effect of that rather than epidural.

Whatever it is ,after birth, you have to do back strengthening exercises to build up your muscles.. am too lazy for that and this is why I still have the pain..

6. magicworld

magicworld Bronze IL'ite

rakhii,
    I took epidural and I still have back pain after 6 months... but, I m overweight now and also as Ranchu said no time for back excersise. on the other hand taking epidural was such a help at that time. however remember one important thing u cannot take epidural after a certain stage of labor ( I think its scale 8).

7. sapnaHYD

sapnaHYD Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I took epidural.Mine was normal delivery with episiotomy(a few stiches).But i had back pain only for a week or so..Now i dont have any back pain or other side effects.I heard that it also depends on the food and care you take after the delivery (atleast for six months).