C-section 4 weeks ago still bleeding, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by miyer, Jan 28, 2011.

1. miyer

miyer Senior IL'ite

Hello...
    I delivered thru C-section 4 weeks ago and am still bleeding. it seemed to stop a cpl of days ago but has increased the last 2 days. no clots but sometimes feeling sharp pains in the abdomen.
    is it normal and to be expected?

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I bled for 6 weeks after the c.

But talk to your gynac asap to rule out any complications.

3. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

The length of bleeding from vagina lasts for about six weeks, from the date of delivery, be it a normal vaginal delivery or a C-section. The secretion is technically called 'lochia' and this period of six weeks is called 'puerperium'. In some women, it can even last for seven weeks.

It is absolutely normal. Most women keep complaining about a pain in the site of the abdominal suture as well as deep inside the uterus, upto a few months, after C-section. The call it in Tamil, 'sundu vali'. It is also common.

Two things if you have along with the bleeding and pain abdomen..........one fever..............two, foul smelling in the vaginal discharge ..........should suggest you that some infection has happened inside...........and you should seek medical advice immediately.

If fear is absent and there is no foul smell in the discharge, then ignore both the bleeding and the pain.

4. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

I had red bleeding for 3 weeks. and whitish discharge for 3 weeks.. sometimes it would be pink.

I had pain in the start.. but it went away.. if you have consern talk to doctor.

5. miyer

miyer Senior IL'ite

Thank you for your replies.. couldnt get online earlier than now.

I did go to my gyn last week just to confirm, she has ruled out any post partum infections and mentioned that the bleeding will go down with breastfeeding and will stop in another 3 weeks. In the meanwhile, I am supposed to rest more :)

-Miyer