Taking Dog from US to India.....

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Gooseberry, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Gooseberry

Gooseberry Senior IL'ite

Pet Lovers:hiya

My children want to have a dog as a pet but I have some doubts which make me think twice before buying a pet especially a dog.:hide:

1. Can I take it to India for a visit and what if I plan to move to India for good? Has anyone done that and how will the dog adjust to change in climate etc.

2. Are there any immigration procedures to take a dog from the US to India? If so, then please give details.

3. What is the cost of ticket etc to take a dog along with you?

4. Moreover, please tell me how much does a dog cost you here in the US even though you don't travel much. I mean, its food, vet visits and general maintenance.

Waiting very anxiously for your response.
    Please pour in your advice/suggestions.

Thanks a lot
    Sarada

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009

2. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sarada

Welcome to Indus Ladies and to the Pets' forum.

I wont be able your questions regarding the cost of maintaining a dog in the US . There are others who will be able to reply to you on that .

But before you get a dog, I would advise you to go through the various discussions in this forum where so many of us have written about points to be taken into consideration before getting a dog .. the most important one being - YOUR TOTAL COMMITMENT .

When I brought my dog back from Muscat to India , I had to get a huge crate done ( one in which he would be comfortable ) . there were a couple of formalities to be followed .. like getting a certificate from the vet( stating that his vaccination is uptodate and all that ) . I think airlines charges you on the weight and size of the crate. I had to spend close to INR 50,000 to get him to Chennai ( which included all costs ).

If you are coming on a short break to India, the best thing would be to board him in a kennel, or leave him with friends who wouldnt mind taking care of him or one family member stays back to take care of the dog .

But please please do remember that having a dog is a BIG commitment and he is entirely dependent on you for everything . He is a baby who will never grow up. So unless everybody in the family is committed, I dont think you should go for it .

All said and done , let me guarantee you that there is nothing in this world that can compensate for the unconditional love that your dog will lavish you with.

All the best

cheers

Bhooma

1 person likes this.
  3. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Sarada,
    Welcome to the pet's forum.:)
    As Bhooma clearly stated, it is a big commitment. This warning is not to scare you, just a heads up. When we adopted our puppy, initially I have to wake up every 3 hours and take her out. After a month everything was within our schedule. Taking care of a small pup is like taking care of a baby. If you adopt a dog which is above 4 or 5 months, you need not have to get up at nights.
    When you are going for a vacation, I suggest that you leave your pup in some dog care/in any of your friend's house. I usually leave my pup in friend's place when I have to go for a trip. For relocation to India, I am giving you a link below which will clearly explain in detail. Airlines in India pets dogs cats allowed
    I have a dog which is 2 years old named Taffy. She is an awesome puppy and gives us tons of happiness. I spend about $20 a month for food. I spend about $50-60 a year for regular check up and vaccination. If the Vet recommends for blood test ( only if the dog has some problem), then you might have to spend another $50.

Regarding the cost of the ticket for the pet, it is about $500-800 for small breeds and about $1500-1800 for big dogs. You have to call airlines and see which one is giving a deal. There are also companies which takes care of all formalities and helps you in relocating the pups, but they will demand you more money.

Feel free if you have any more questions.

All the best,

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  4. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

sindhu

thanks a lot. after I posted , I thought I had probably sounded "rude"!! it was just to make sure that the family who is going to adopt a puppy knows what is in store for them for the first couple of months !!!

Being associated with the Blue cross and seeing so many owners just leaving their pups/dogs stranded , I take it on myself to impress upon prospective dog owners what they are likely to face.

sarada... my post was not meant to be rude or scare you. !!!!

happy times for your family with your yet to arrive pup!!!

cheers

Bhooma

5. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Bhooma,
    What you have said is very correct.:thumbsup It did not sound rude at all. We just share our inputs and helping our fellow ILites in taking a better decision.

6. Gooseberry

Gooseberry Senior IL'ite

Thanks Bhooma for your response. Yeah, I understand that you need 100% commitment to have a dog. That is exactly why we are thinking all possible situations like traveling etc with the dog. Don't worry you did not sound rude. It is very nice of you to come up with some real life situations and how some people deal with pets. That gives me a good insight into how life would be with an addition to the family.

Thanks again
    Sarada

7. Gooseberry

Gooseberry Senior IL'ite

Thanks Sindhuja for your response. In a way it is not a big expenditure.
    The website you provided here is very informative. Thanks.
    Actually do you know anyone who moved from the US with a dog. Physically, will there be any complications since there is difference in climate too.

Sarada