Any Ideas About Dog Keeping

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by write2sreejata, Mar 20, 2009.

1. write2sreejata

write2sreejata New IL'ite

Hi Girls,
    I am going all crazy to keep a pet dog; I so much love dogs, but never got an opportunity to pet one, as my mother was always scared of it. But I am now determined to pet one in my in-laws house. They are not opposed to it, but have asked me to choose wisely the type of dog I want to keep. They also have never kept a dog before.

But I am confused, what should I go for? Suggest which one would be the best for a household. The question also remains that how would I understand if the dog has good pedigree or not. I am all totally confused. If any of you have ideas about dog and dog keeping please let me know.
    I hope you all will help me.

Take care,
    Sreejata

2. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sreejata

Your post should be in "pets" forum. Please ask the moderator to move it there . probably thats why you did not receive any FBs.

There are many dog lovers in the Pets' forum and you will get good advise there .

But since I am a dog lover too and have always had dogs, I can give you a few tips.

1. First and most important is - a dog is a commitment for life . It is not something which you can throw away when your fancy gets over.

2. Please decide honestly how much time you can spend every day for your dog. The dog needs to be taken for walks- atleast twice daily.

3. I would suggest you have a trainer so that he can teach you how to train your dog .

4. Everybody in the family should be willing to lend a helping hand .

5. Believe me, taking care of a puppy till he is house trained , is a BIG JOB!!!

6. Any vet in your area will be able to suggest a good pup for you . The breed that you would like to have depends to a very large extent on where you will be living - apartment or an individual house . If you are going to live in an apartment, I suggest you go in for a smaller breed like Dachsund or a Pomeranian. If its a house with a large garden where the dog can run freely, you can go in for either a Golden Retriever or Labrador or German shepherd.

(But in all honesty, I would be delighted if you adopt a pup from your local blue cross.. that would mean that one more abandoned dog gets a loving home)

I know other members will contribute more useful tips.

Take care.. have a wonderful time choosing your pup and do post photos and write ups about him/her.. soon

cheers

Bhooma

3. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Hey Sweetie,
    Welcome to the gang of pet and animal lovers. I would like to share a few things.
    First the goodies. I feel all the people who pet animals are chosen ones by God. For they bring the cute innocence that is forgotten these days. They are the bundles of endless unconditional love. They would lick you even if you have left them locked in the house, even if you scold them or maybe give a slap at times(rare though) they are so forgiving. They bring so much energy, joy, playful environment with them and release your tensions. Its like having a baby at home for years.
    And now the cautions.
    Think think think and then decide. Think of yourself is it the supressed desire from childhood that you want to fullfill or just affection. Are you serious that you want to have a pet for years. It should not add one to the increased number of abandoned pets. That would be worst even than you not having a pet. As i said its like having a baby at home for years that would need your love affection, care, attention, feeding, taking out, time to spend, cleaning, medical check ups, vaccination every year and so on. If you are going away for a few days or so you can't leave him/her alone at home either take them with you or someone has to stay back. At times people are really lucky to have good neighbours or in some cities paid professional shelters are available to keep them for a few days. They are usually home sick so if you take them away from home for a longer time (other than outing) they might be a bit difficult to control.
    Till the time they are house trained at times they might make place dirty. Think of your family reaction to such things. At times if scared or too agitated they might bite someone(depends on how you handle) though they are regularly vaccinated and there is no big danger, people get scared and dislike the poor sweetie. Our children grow and start doing things on their own and talk what's wrong with them or if they are not well. But for pets you need to understand and treat on time. They need non veg food naturally so think if your family is vegetarian. Most of the times, the visitors to our home do not like being encountered with a pet. They scream, run, throw things on pets or push them if they bark. This irritates the pet and it becomes even more violent. They are friendly but generally don't like if someone hates them and shows it. In such situation either you have to keep them tied away or people reduce their visits. You need to train them and also handle the situations to avoid this. Sometimes families don't like it if the pet licks of plays with small children at home to avoid infections this might make them feel bad.
    Think of all these things and then decide. Its lovely that you want to make a life but please don't spoil it. Never mind if you drop the idea. I understand this is too much Gyaan but I felt it was needed. I won’t mind even if you say it was boring or crap. It was important for me after seeing so many incidents around. They can’t say how they feel or even if they are hurt and we don’t understand always like they understand from our expressions. It needs time to understand them.
    If you go ahead it would be really wonderful. As Bhooma said consult a doc he'll tell you about the breed and even most of the times they give you references if someone's dog is breeding. I would back her suggestion to pet an abandoned dog. that would add to the good work you are about to do. All the best and do not forget to post pics.
    If you get through all this fight i can assure you'll have a gala time even while training it and all the mischief he does or maybe both of you. Its awesome feeling

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  4. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Bhooma & Vaidehi,

Just want to congratulate both of you on your wonderful and comprehensive posts in reply to Sreejata's request for advice about embarking on an emotionally charged adventure...namely bringing home a pet dog.
    Bhooma , you have analysed and tabulated all the possible queries with answers.
    Vaidehi has elaborated on the psychological aspects of the pet and the owner .
    Both your posts read like a little manual and will be handy for all first timers.
    So very true ....it has to be a lifetime commitment of which the rewards cannot be measured in any terms as only we ardent dog lovers can vouch for.
    Pet dog rearing is a happy story of unconditional love from the four legged one's side and unless we two legged ones return that in full measure it will turn into a very sad story with no "happily ever after " ending . And we don't want that at all !
    Choosing a dog from the Blue Cross or any other source that has abandoned pets will be a noble venture too.
    The First Dog of the US of A , BO reached the White House after spending some months in another home where things were not suited for him we read!

5. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Paulina!
    Hey Sreejata you didn't mention anything. Did i scare you?