Keeping JAI's life in mind...

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Sriniketan, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,
    I wanted to let you know that., I don't know whether this is a good news or bad news., but it certainly depends on the personalities..

Today we gave away JAI for adoption in a privately run Animal Shelter.
    It is the place, where they look after the pets, where the owners were not able to look after it, and give it for adoption and see to it that their pets are in safe hands and keep a track of them too..

Today JAI is there..
    The reason behind this:
    1. We came to know that my hubby is allergic to his hair.
    2. The children whose said that they would take care of him, didn't do that due to shuttling to school, class and home-work.
    3. He is not getting enough attention and excercise too..nobody to walk him out. You may ask why don't you, I tried but I am not able to..bonk
    4. He is an outside pet..we tied him to a long chain, so that he can wander around the house. (I am sorry to say that..no other way)..he used to go on loose, after biting his collar., we tried so many times with different collars, he used to bite and run on loose..
    That's not the problem..
    The main one is he runs behind cars..not even behind but in front and side of the cars...many people warned us too regarding this..we don't know what to do and made this 'difficult' decision, fearing for his LIFE..

5. we thought of putting him inside the house, but he messes around..
    6. In our area, fencing is not allowed..so no way of keeping him..

Tears were at the brink, when I saw JAI in the carry on cage, and bid him bye..

My BIL who is on a vacation, commented that, giving the pet for adoption is very emotional..he is also very much attached to him, as he has already 2 pets in his house, he is not able to take with him..

We are sure that JAI would find a suitable owner and spend his life to the fullest, enjoying, playing around in a fenced area, where a lot of people is there to shower affection on him..

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Bhargavi

Reading about Jai is a mix of good and bad news.
    Bad that he will leaving his home and all of you who love him.

Good that he might get adopted to a family who will need him.

I understand what you have outlined. That is so true. I thought of all of that when my son wanted a pet. And that is the only reason we did not go for it.
    We do have fenced in back yard so there is room to play safely.

Hope you feel better. It must be emotional to see Jai going away. I am sure Jai will be fine.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Dear Bhargavi,
    Thats very sad news indeed :cry:.If Jai isgoing toget more attention and feeling free to roam without any danger then we have to take it positively.lets all cheer up.

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Bhargavi

You have done what you think is the best option for Jai. He will be in good hands, although you might miss him for a while.
    We too temporarily had pets for a while for the sake of the kids, but had to give away due to the above reasons you have quoted.

5. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Big B, I think even though its a sad thing, its the best thing one can do.
    Instead of JAI suffering tied up, not being itself, atleast we can hope he enjoys his life somewhere else he wants.

Having pet comes with some responsibilities, morally too. So if one cannot handle it, its always best to find a good home for it where it can lead a happy life than let it suffer. I have seen people not taking care of it and having it in cage always. That's torture I would feel. Why take them and treat them so low. In india, I have have heard people saying, having pets is a status in the society. NO IT ISNT. Its a life. Its a dependent being like your other family members.

I always advice people to think it thoroughly before going for a pet. Its a big responsibility. Its the same as adopting a child or having a baby. No different. Moment they walk in your life, its changed forever.

6. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear Bhargavi,
    I know you and your family will be missing Jai, but the decision you have taken is good for you and also for Jai. So, don't worry! He will find a good place to live in.

best,

7. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Srini,
    This is very distressing news ofcourse that you had to part with your dear pet Jai.
    I can fully understand how terrible you must be feeling , but in the long run it is in everybody's interest including Jai.Surely he will find a good home and a good place to run around without chasing cars. Imagine how terrible it would have been if he met with an accident chasing cars .At least this way you saved him from all that .He is sure to find a good home.Cheer up ...you did the best by Jai .

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

AC, Supriya, Usha, Nandhu, Sindhu and Paulina,

thanks a lot friends for your soothing words,:bowdown which makes the guilt in me, go away, slowly..
    We had this option for a long time...but this went out of control, during the past few weeks..
    My children protested at first, eventhough the reasons were told to them..
    They are kids., so cannot take it in easily..but atlast gave in..to this idea..
    As you all said, we hope that he is in safe hands and be true to his nature., that's all we want..
    Truly said, having a pet, sure brings responsibilites..if we are not able to perform it, better to give away to someone who is ready to oblige..
    But before taking this responsibility., think and act..

This is what I learnt through this incident..

sriniketan

9. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Dear Bhargavi,

Indeed a touchy moment for you.

A pet becomes a family member and no matter how many the issues, we still miss not having it around. But given the circumstances you did the right thing. And you did it only because you wanted the best for him. So do miss him, but do not feel guilty at all. Just to avoid the pain of letting him go you could have easily kept him home and let him suffer. But you did not do that. You had the courage to take this bold and correct step. You should pat yourself on the back for this.

My 6 year old keeps asking for a pet and I keep refusing. Primarily for the reasons you have mentioned. My son may or may not keep his promise of taking responsibility of the pet and I will not be able to bear to shortchange the pet's care. In the end I will get myself all stressed out!

With your sound advice, I am surely not giving into my son's request!

Luv,
    SS

10. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Bhargavi,

Could understand your feeling for Jai. Don't feel guilty !! He will be in safe hands !!