My cold nose gave them warmth

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Paulina, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

When I was a very young puppy, my mother had an unfortunate encounter with a motorcar and my sisters and brothers were left alone in the world without Mama's loving care.We didn't belong to any pedigreed club with a fancy name like Beagle or Poodle or Basset Hound , we were just a bunch of ..well..good sturdy canines.I've heard my Mama say that Papa was a Labrador.I really don't know cos I haven't seen one.As for Mama ...she was Mama and thats all we knew about her pedigree.
    We five were great chums ,living on that farm ,but that happy state of affairs was only till Mama was around.Very soon our master who really was very shorttempered gave my four siblings away to folks he knew.I was the only one left behind.Nobody wanted me ...Master said to the Mistress ...." Look at him, he is so funny to look at ,what a strange black patch over his left eye."
    I was so heartbroken , I missed mama and my brothers and sisters.No one told me I was funny looking.I made up my mind to run away and start looking for my brothers and sisters.That very night I left my first home and ventured out into the wide world in search of my loving siblings.
    I spent the night running along to wherever my nose directed me to .I was so tierd and hungry that I fell asleep after a good two hour run on the road.I woke up so hungry and thirsty and remembered all the fun meal times with my brothers and sisters and Mama ofcourse.
    I started on my journey without a clue as to where my destination would be.As I dragged my tierd body I saw in the distance a little house standing in a clearing .It was a pleasent white coloured house with green shutters and I could see the curtains fluttering in the early morning breeze.I said to myself maybe brothers and sisters have been sent over there , let me try to find out.
    I went over to the back of the house and saw a net screen door I peered in and tried to figure out how I could get one paw in .It would be easy to work up from there.There was no one about so then I decided to let out a piteous howl.There was still no sign of any one I tried scratching at the sreen door and howling even louder.
    Yes I succeeded .There before me stood a lovely young lady with a tea pot in her hand .She placed it on the kitchen table and came running towards the door to investigate.Just as I expected, I already wont he first round !
    " Arjun ...Aaaaarjun ....come on over here , look who's come visiting ".
    I heard hurried footsteps and a young man came and joined her.The lovely lady opened the door and I rushed in ......my aim was to look for my brothers and sisters as I ran sniffing around the kitchen. Heavens ..what lovely fragrances frehly toasted bread with butter and fried eggs .My brothers and sisters must be feasting leaving poor me out I thought.
    "Hey , the poor dear is hungry" said Anjali the lovely lady."Let me give him some milk" .She gave me a cup of the creamiest milk I had ever tasted in a little blue plastic bowl.The kind young man Arjun lifted me up and examined me thoroughly and both of them were really amused looking at the black patch on my left eye.
    Anjali asked Arjun hesitantly ."Honey don't you think Ajay wil be happy to have this little puppy around?"
    "Same thought crossed my mind" replied Arjun." Only thing is I must get him to a Vet as soon as possible and get all the shots if we have to keep him here".
    "Dr Raj will oblige gladly " said Anjali.
    "OK let us go up stairs and surprise Ajay , its time for him to wake up."
    Arjun carried me upstairs while Anjali followed with a glass of milk for Ajay.
    They opened the bedroom door and crept in noiselessly.I saw the loveliest room with lots of toys strewn about and a bed with a little 7 year old boy lying asleep .
    Arjun drew aside the curtains to let the warm winter sun shine into the pretty room.Anjali called softly ..." Ajay , darling wake up we have a surprise for you dear !"
    Ajay woke up slowly and Arjun placed me down on the bed close to Ajay and took the little boys hands and placed them on me.
    Ajay gave a little squeal of delight and running his hands over my fur said "Pappa , Mamma ....let me guess ...its a little puppy isn't It ?"
    "Tell me what colour is he ? Does he have a long tail?"
    "Yes, Ajay, he is a darling little puppy with a cute black patch on his left eye and he is fawn colour all over " said his Pappa.
    "Ok then lets call him PATCHIE shall we? " asked Ajay all agog with excitement." MA, PA, just touch his nose ...it is so cold but just cuddle him he is so warm... dear dear PATCHIE " exclaimed Ajay
    "You can choose whatever name you like dear ", said Anjali wiping tears of happiness from her eyes .
    I was only 65 days old when I landed but it hit me like a thunderbolt..." Yes, their darling one and only child Ajay was blind !!" Later I learnt that he was not blind from birth but he had a serious condition in both his retinas which eventually led to loss of sight .There is no treat ment for this it seems
    I knew that I had at last found a loving home .I was defenitely born with a lucky black patch and so "PATCHIE" I became .
    Today is my seventh birthday and Ajay is 14 years old now.We are the best of friends and we shall remain forever so ....PATCHIE and AJAY !
    My cold nose brought warmth to Ajay and his Pa And Ma and today I'm Ajay's eyes as he never goes anywhere without me .

warm regards,
    PAULINA:wave

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lalitha
    Wow so nice and touching story of the cuddle little Patchie and Ajay. Felt very sad about Ajay but his dear friend shows him this wonderful world. Indeed Dogs are the most faithful friend of a man.

3. Paulina

Dear Aruna Habibi,
    Thank you for your kind words. Glad you liked the story.

I can never tire about discussing any doggie subjects ...you know how crazy I am about them.

warm regards

4. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Paulina,

A touching story of a loyal little dog....

I recall a pet Julie that was with us...Actually, it was not brought by us....but by our neighbours.
    She slowly got close to our family...I guess it was because of the freedom we gave to move about in our garden..the neighbour didn't have one and had to always keep her tied...Once My Dad gave her a handful of sambhar rice with ghee in it...from that day, her lunch was with us.....and then as months passed by, she was more attached to us than her 'masters'. Don't know why she refrained from them, and when they shifted to another house, she preferred to be with us...she went in between my dad's leg and just wagged her tails as her masters finally called her...They were forced to leave her with us...She remained with us till her end...

By the way hope, I haven't deviated from your story...Just felt like sharing my doggy's story with you.

bye

5. Paulina

Dear Saraswathi,:hiya

Thanks for your kind words about the story .I enjoyed reading about your dog Julie too.Dogs have some sixth sense that is really sharp and once they've decided on their favourite person there is no changing that ever.
    Years back my parents had a Dobberman called Jessie.As I said all our family members are crazy about dogs.....anyway my mother as with all mothers used to be the one to look after Jessies needs and even feeding her..ofcourse she was strict with her if she was naughty and Jessie got many a whack from her so perhaps because of that she used to be extra partial to my Dad and like you said about your Julie she too would run to my Dad and lie curled up at his feet wherever he was ignoring my mother!. It was fun to watch this drama always.
    warm regards

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Paulina,

You write so well! I loved this story. And what strikes me is that you will have a great career as a children's author. Please send this to a children's amgazine and I am sure lots of kids will enjoy and learn from it. The cold nose gave us warmth as well!!

And again, I love all your posts in IL. I have very lil net access, so I dont enter any FB. But just to tell you, I read all your posts and enjoy them. This one above, I will narrate to my nephes when he visits me.

regards
    Vidya

7. Paulina

Dear Vidya,:hiya

Great hearing from you...your kind words literally made me dance a merry jig ...in my minds eye ofcourse !!

BTW I have written for the childrens magazine called "Children's World " ( Brain child of the famous cartoonist Shankar and founder of the International Painting Competition in New Delhi and the Dolls Museum)years back .Somehow did not keep it up as we were moving from country to country and other priorities came up and as is the case certain things like this just faded away .Shall restore it perhaps.
    Thanks again for your warm and encouraging FB

warm regards

8. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Paulina,

Thanx.....your are so right about dogs deciding on their favourite...not that they are unloyal ..its just that they feel more comfortable with people who will give them more attention...

By the way, after Julie, we had another cute little one...I had named it Ponky....
    Initially many found the name funny...it was like innki pinki ponki....but that cute one stole many hearts...
    Just felt like sharing it with you..
    Thanx for being here to share this with all...
    Bye

9. Paulina

Dear Saraswathi,

Wonderful to read about dear PONKY.I'm sure ponki must have been a real roly poly doggie , a real furry ball of mischief. I loved that name ponki ....really original ...yes I remember a bit of the the popular rhyme ----

Inki Pinki Ponki
    Father had a donkey ....or so it goes

warm regards,

10. aproop

aproop Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chechi,

What a beautiful story! hooked me till the last. Actually when I first saw the post, i decided to read it later seeing the length. but after reading it :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

very touching and very well writen. thank you dear for the lovely story.

love,
    Anu