What to do with my labrador

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Deepa100, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Deepa100

Deepa100 Gold IL'ite

Hi all, We are a family of 4 - DH, DS ,myself and the fourth being a lovely female Labrador which is 6 years old. We are right now in Bangalore, India and would be relocating to the Texas,USA in a few months time. The confusion DH and me are facing is what to do with our doggie girl. As a family we are all attached to her very much and do not want to abandon her. At the same time, we do not have anybody in the relatives side who are willing to take care of her due to their own commitments. At times, we have even thought of taking her along to USA but are afraid that it might be a costly affair. We are not sure how costly an affair it would be to take care of a dog in the USA. More than that, we are not sure of the process to take a dog from India to USA, how much of pillar to post would the running be and how much it would cost etc. Relatives feel we are soft in the head for taking the dog to USA from India since they feel we are simply inviting trouble and also spending money needlessly. Let me tell you, we do not want to leave her in the doggie daycares that have sprouted around the city. We did visit a few daycares and we did not want to leave her there. There is lot of confusion prevailing as to what is a wise and practical thing to do. We are in two minds now. One is the sentimental attachment and other is we ourselves are going to a new place and we don't know how things will work out there. On top of that if she is also there, then how will we manage. Once we are in USA, another set of confusion is when DH and myself start going for office, then who will take care. Also, if dog falls sick, how would we manage? She has a very sensitive tummy and sometimes she throws up whatever she eats and in such cases her vet bills have always been big. So while in USA, she still would develop such issues and I heard that vets are very expensive. Also, while on vacations, how do we take care then. Initially, I would not be going for a job until I find one. So I would take care. But till then we would be on single salary. We are definitely looking at saving money and with a dog and a kid along, I am not sure whether we will be able to save anything at all. Please advise how we can handle the situation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Deepa

1 person likes this.

2. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Deepa,

This is the most difficult situation all pet owners face. You should not even think of abandoning her. What a thought!!!!!!!!. You should try and find someone who is willing to adopt her. You can advertise in the papers and websites. Try your best to find her a new home before you leave.

Regards
    Uma

3. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

its very tough situation, better try to find a good home for your girl.

Please post an ad in facebook, there are many page available, you can visit Bluecross, animal welfare, chennai pet lovers fb pages and post your ad for your girl adoption.

Please make sure, they are not breeders. Since she is lab, many will be ready to adopt your girl, give a try :)

Sure she will get a best home :)

4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

You can take the dog with you. You need health certificates, pay for the airline transport. There is no mandatory quarantene (but recommendation to keep at home for a month). Here is one link (but please research in more detail as regulations may change):

In Defense Of Animals India | Animal Welfare India
    United States Pet Import Requirements | pet travel info | Pet Relocation

I took my dog from US to Finland and it was quite easy. I trained the dog to get used to the carrier (cage) for a couple of months. I discussed with the vet and agreed that it is better not to sedate for the flight. For a long fligth the dog will wake up and then they may be confused/vomit as result of the sedation.

2 people like this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You can take the dog with you. Find out the rules for taking pets from India to the US: shots, quarantine etc.
    However, veterinary care in the US can be quite expensive, especially if your dog develops health problems. Even something as simple as eating the wrong thing can lead to large bills if you have to rush to the emergency vet. I am not trying to scare you, just stating the facts. You have to be prepared to pay at least for an annual vet exam, vaccines required by law and for some preventive medicines.
    I have two very large dogs, and one has special needs. It is not cheap, but I would not dream of not doing this. Just be aware that it can be an expense.
    Food doesn't cost much, and dogs will be fine staying at home during the day, as long as they get quality time and regular exercise.
    You can board the dog in a kennel while on vacation.
    However if you are concerned with expenses, the best option may be to find her a good new home in India.
    P.S: Vet costs can be significantly less in small towns. I live in a major metro area, so everything costs more. Try finding out what you might expect to pay.

6. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Deepa
    Petvacations - Pet Relocation Worldwide
    Anvis Inc- Simplifying Pet Care!
    please contact these websites and they will help you to re locate your girl..
    PLEASE PLEASE don't leave her here unless you know a family who will love her the same.
    dont worry about vet bills and all thats a part of the game and our duty to our furry babies for the unconditional love.

Take care and all the best

1 person likes this.
  7. drradha7

drradha7 Bronze IL'ite

hi deepa,
    I dont know if you have found a reply / answer to your prob by now. I sincerely feel dont leave your pet behind! I am an animal welfare activist and have 3 adopted dogs at home, adopted after they were abandoned in CUPA, an animal shelter in bangalore. They are really sad and depressed creatures when abandoned by their owners and it has taken me close to 2 months for each dog to get them out of their shell and happy again.
    Worst comes to worse you can approach CUPA or PFA or Precious Paws in bangalore to leave your dog. But hopefully, you wont do that.
    I understand where you are coming from. But gosh! Its so bad for the dogs and my heart really bleeds for them.

Dr. Radha.

8. Deepa100

Deepa100 Gold IL'ite

Thanks all for the replies. I too do not want to leave her but at the same time I am unsure of how to ascertain that the new owner who adopts her will take care of her in my absence.

Also, who would be ready to adopt a 6 year old dog and also my major worry is what if the owner decides to give her away again for some reason. These kinds of thoughts are guilt tripping me.

Again, we are going to be new-comers to Texas. As it is there will be confusion regarding the new land and its rules, add to it a pet. I really am feeling confused and am not able to come to a decision. I jut have 3 months time for my travel.

Will a dog adjust to new owners and forget its old owners. I would be very happy if she does that.

We will be on single salary in USA. Son will be going to 1st grade. So his schooling fees, our own expenses all these make me think if we will be able to save anything there.

Heart says take her along, but mind says no leave her at a good home here.
    Am I doing a mistake by abandoning her with new people. I do not have anybody in the family besides my hubby who can understand my love for her.

9. Deepa100

Deepa100 Gold IL'ite

Hi MalStrom,

Thanks a ton for taking time out to reply.

If you do not mind, would it be possible to give me the breakup of the cost for all the things you have mentioned in your reply like vaccines, vet charges, preventive medicines, food etc.

This would help me have a picture of what to expect at least. You would be doing me a great favor by providing this info.

Thanks,
    Deepa

10. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Deepa,

I can very well understand your predicament as I was in your shoes a couple of months ago. I did a lot of research about taking dogs to US and its really a very simple task. I will explain my situation and it may help you come to a decision.

My boy Chico is a GSD. There are many agencies that help in moving pets from India to US. So you dont have to worry about that at all. Most of them do a great job. One such agency is the Anvis, you can contact them for any info.

Once you reach US, the problem comes if you have a large breed dog. Mine was a GSD. GSDs are rated as aggressive breeds, so when we searched for apartment online, we could not find one. Its very rare to find apartment for rent that allows certain breeds. It was a major heart break for us. So it all depends on what breed you have. I am not trying to discourage you. If you have a small breed dog, it would never be a problem. But if its one of the restricted ones, it will be a little difficult, but not an impossible one. You can still find as you have 3 months time.

We were going on a contract position so we may have to keep moving often. That was one more difficult situation for us. So if you are going to be in a permanent position, it would not be an issue at all for you. And even if you have to move often, moving along with your dog is not an impossible one, but you need to think if you can do it.

Finally regarding money, dont worry at all. You will definitely work over it. The love you get in return cannot be matched with any other thing. If you had a second baby, you will make some way to accommodate your both kids right. Similarly you will get around it. Your dog has been with you for 6 years. I was with mine for 1.5 yrs. After lot of thoughts we found him a really loving home and left him there. We get frequent updates how he is. I left him about 2 months back. I still cry thinking about him. The guilt is really horrible. Though I dint leave him at any shelters, and I found him a good home with 2 other dogs, it is still very hard for both my husband and I.

I would suggest you try your best to take him. If you want, you can contact me in PM, I can give some ppl's numbers who have taken their dogs to US, you can speak to them, clear all your doubts. Keep giving him up as the last option as it really hurts a lot and you just never get over it. This is from my experience. Hope it helps.

Whatever decision you take, best wishes to you and your dog!! :thumbsup

1 person likes this.