why dogs get cancer?? Please help

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by lazy, Nov 5, 2014.

1. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

guys after going through this forum, I came to know many have lost their pets due to cancer. Can anyone please tell me whats the reason behind it?

I am a 1st time dog owner, having a cute female GSD 1yr old, I just wanna give her the best. Is there any way we can prevent the cancer.

After going through this post, it made me more worried. Everyone have faced their lovable pets loss :( I am more scared about that. I dont want to loose my baby soon.

PS- yet I have not spayed her. She got her 1st heat. Also in dilemma whether to spay her or mate her for 1 time ( just dont want to end her generation) Not sure about it. Please give your advice on this too.

2. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Nice to know you have a GSD. I have a special love for them. Do post some of her pics when you find time. BTW, May I know her name??

Regarding cancer, I have heard neutering males can prevent testicular cancer, but I am not sure about females. But regarding your other dilemma, to mate her or not, let me be frank with you.

Ask yourselves the following questions

1. Is your GSD health ceritifed from a vet for any problems?
    2. Do you have homes ready for the entire litter if you ever let her mate? It may vary from one to as many as 10 pups.

If your answer is NO to one of the qns, please do not mate her. There are so many abandoned dogs already and we dont want her litter too to add in that category, do we? There are so many groups/sites that talk about breeding horrors (I myself was not aware until a few months ago). They use the dogs for breeding back to back and dump them when they are unable to bear any more pups. You dont want her litter to end up with one of them.

So many owners abandon their dogs on streets and the dogs die in shelter without a place to go. Do google more on this and you will get tons of info.

And health certification is necessary because if you mate your dog without knowing anything about his/her health condition will lead to a litter that is weak and may inherit the same problems as the parents. For instance, in my case my GSD Chico had one of his testicles undescended, a condition that increases the probability of testicular cancer. We did not know it when we got him. It was supposed to have got to him because of his father. He should have never allowed to be mated. Hope you can now understand the seriousness!

So please be very careful before making a decision.

Happy pet parenting!! I am very partial to GSDs and I believe they give affection no other dog can. My advice would be to spay her, its healthy for them too and enjoy all your days with her! :)

PS:

I am not totally against breeding, I just believe breeding should be done only by professionals who know what they are doing!

3 people like this.
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

My father, a veterinarian, thought that one litter was good, if you are capable of taking care of it. Do have a checkup before hand and make sure she has no genetic traits like hip displasia that would affect the puppies. You will also need to find a suitable male. Usually the first litter produces 1-2 pups....would you be able to keep them or can you guarantee a good home for them? Just have her doing the deed one time with the male dog to be sure to have a small litter....lots of action contributes to more puppies. You should then think on having her spayed after she weans the pups. Unspayed female dogs have a high rate of uterine problems when they get old including uterine infection.

1 person likes this.
  4. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

Thanks for you reply aishwarya.

I dont have the certificate for her. Me and my fiancee bought a male and female gsd from different mother. So finding a male will not be problem I can mate her with him. My vet told I can mate her once after then we can spay her. But I am not ok with mating.

And answer for your 1st question is NO. So I will again discuss about this to my vet. :) I guess I will spay her soon.

Her name is Jeni. I have gone through the chico post. As I like him she is a picky eater. More over for the past 3 months me and my mom are spoon feeding her. Else she is not eating. I know we just spoiled her. But what to do. And have you neutered him??

New to this forum, So I donno how to attach the image here :(

PS - I have read your Final Adieu story yesterday It was just awesome I will post the feedback there :)

5. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your reply tashidelek2002
    I am not sure about her genetic traits. If she produce 1-2 pups, i can take care. but still I dont want her to be in trouble. thats my main point.

Yeah I googled it, unspayed females have many cons. I will have a call with my vet, guess spaying is good option instead of mating.

Is spaying 100% safe for her? spaying - they will remove the uterus right. After that will it heal soon?

My vet says, spaying is safe there wont be any trouble. But still I want some guidance on this. After spaying, her health will be normal like this?

Thanks again for your reply

6. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

And initially I was scared of dogs, throughout my life time I have not touched even a single dog. But now I am fond of dogs, only because of her.

Now i started loving all dogs, feeding 2 more stray dogs. And my total family started loving dogs :D And started feeding stray dogs. She is the one who changed my total family.

And I agree to you aishwarya, I am more partial when it come to GSD. They are too caring and over protective. I will find a way how to post an image and post it soon.

Jeni will be lean ( now after we started feeding she is good) since she is a picky eater. But my fiancee dog , OMG you can't believe he is a GSD, he will just look like a mini black panda, when we saw him from the back side.:boo:

7. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for taking my suggestion in the right spirit! :)

I know its very tempting to spoon fed / hand feed them if they dont eat properly, but please do not encourage that. It becomes very difficult for them in case the hand feeding person is not available for a few days. If I may ask, what food are you feeding her? Probably she is not liking it. Yeah, GSDs are very picky eaters as far as I have seen, but if you feed them what they love, they become a lil better.

I neutered my boy, its a very easy procedure for boys. Dont worry, if you are taking her a to a vet with good experience she will heal soon, its a very common procedure, so there is nothing to worry.

You can find how to attach images here - Knowledge Base

If possible, try to post both the GSDs pics, I just cant get enough of them! ;)

If you have any other queries, please feel free to post here. We are all here to provide help and support to each other. :)

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Here a spay would consist of removing the uterus and the ovaries. Neutered females have better health than non-neutered as pregnancies are tough on them and big pregnancies one after the other even more so. Many people, if they have a particularly nice pet would like to have puppies or kittens so they have additional nice members of the family.

9. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

Hello Aishwarya

Thanks for your concern :))

Still I am not a junior members, So I am not able to add pic :( Hope soon I can see the option :)

Reg feeding, for the 1st 6 month she was good in eating, we feed royal canin and chicken rice. after 6 months she stopped eating rice, so we fed RC + chicken thrice a day, after 2 month she stopped that too. She started losing her weight and hair.

Then only we started hand feeding. Now we have changed from RC to Drools focus. It was good. Still me or my mom will feed her twice a day. now she is good in weight :) we are happy with that. If we give chicken she will have on our own. But still rice is big NO. she totally stopped eating rice.

Btw what you are feeding chico?

10. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

Many people, if they have a particularly nice pet would like to have puppies or kittens so they have additional nice members of the family.

This is the point we are thinking about. but our major concern was, we dont want any trouble in her health. Suppose if we thought of mating her also, we will do it only when she is around 2 -3 years. So, still she need to have 2 -3 heats :(

80% I wanna spay her for her health. For the remaining 20% i just wanna see her puppies
    :)

Thanks for the reply. :)