Join the club! Membership FREE !!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Paulina, Dec 7, 2010.

1. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

Spirit...
    Spirit1.jpg

6 people like this.
  2. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

hello Deeps..
    been a bit out of this forum and I read today that spence was adopted lastw eek of dec2012.. must've been hard on you.. this guy was so cute..but I guess Spirit will make up for the loss..
    just wanted to tell you that you are such an enviable position.. doing so much good for these lovely canines.. giving them the love and care that they truly deserve... you are definitely one great champ for them..
    Kerman
    P.S. spirit looks absolute handsome.. did you manage to sedate and clean him???

2 people like this.
  3. deepslikes

Hi Kelly,
    I am reminded of Spence's cute face and expressions all the time.
    But Spirit is definitely keeping my spirits up.. lol..
    We took him to the vet past week and while he was sedated they were able to shave his face and other areas (butt - lol) He still needs grooming, but at least he doesn't look so wild now. I want to give him a bath.. I think he may not bite me now.. probably....lol... will try this weekend.

1 person likes this.
  4. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi deeps,

So here we are with SPIRIT your next lucky doggie ! What have we here? A LION or a doggie? He looks so leonine, besides all that golden fur makes me feel like calling him GOLDILOCKS ....ofcourse he is a BOY and will take offence .....I better run before he comes after me ! LOL.
    Just read about his getting sedated and shorn . Perhaps you need to cut those few strands hovering above his eyes too ....just a suggestion...they might hinder his vision.Besides being a snappy dog he might just get the wrong idea and snap at the wrong stuff if he can't see them clearly .Guess thats the latest style in canine fashion for this breed and thats how they are, but watch out.
    He looks so huggable and cuddly, hope he will soon become calm and even tempered with your care and attention, which will only be a matter of days I'm sure with your proven skill at handling so many doggies.
    As with all others you had, those eyes are so captivating! Have fun and post more pics soon.

1 person likes this.
  5. deepslikes

Hi Paulina, good to hear from you, as always. The pic was before the vet visit, they did trim that face hair..
    I will post some updated pics soon.

He is sweet and cuddly for the most part; :) the growls come when I try to brush/clean him or I try to take away his toys (very aggressive chewer).
    Both are manageable for now - I stop brushing/cleaning him (LOL) and to get toys from him, I just exchange them for treats.
    He is now letting me brush him where his hair isn't matted.. so hopefully he will improve.
    I think he is really at his worst at the vet & groomers and with other animals.
    He doesn't like new people either.. but we hardly have any visitors at home.. so not too many irritants for him at my place..

He got selected into a local three month program where the prisoners train and take care of doggies like him that need training. :)
    I believe the inmates selected for this program are not imprisoned for violent crimes... and they are instructed by professionals on how to train the dogs.
    The program is meant to benefit both the dogs and the inmates..
    But there is a big waiting list and so Spirit will be with me, until he goes to prison!

2 people like this.
  6. Paulina

Hi deeps,
    Great to hear all about your latest doggie SPIRIT.Whoever christened him did a perfect job!
    From what you have posted seems like he is full of the WRONG kind of SPIRIT it seems ! LOL
    You are the embodiment of PATIENCE magnified a million times ....putting up with all that sniping and snapping & growling. The rewards at the end of all your efforts are definitely fulfilling for you and at the finally he gets a permanent home where his new owners find it easy to deal with him coz you have smoothened out all the rough edges!
    Really impressed to read about the program they have out there for the prisoners to train dogs.So positive an approach.Interacting with dogs will benefit the prisoners too......wonderful.
    And so SPIRIT is waiting in line to go to prison !! all the best dearie to get tamed and become a lovable cuddly pet to some lucky home

7. deepslikes

Spirit went into the prison program today. It was a bit sudden, just had 12 hours notice. I didn't take his pics to my heart's content ... Maybe he will come back after his 3 months at the program.. Some dogs get adopted directly while in the program, some may need foster homes after they complete the program.

8. Paulina

Hi deeps,

So SPIRIT has been enrolled in the Prison Program....that was really fast.
    Wish he had stayed longer with you ....anyway hope he returns after 3months.Meanwhile what are you planning? Any other doggie dears waiting to come over? Hope another cuddly one will join you soon.It must be rather dull without wagging tails and yelps and barks and occassional growls isn't it?
    Sure you'll find one fast ....your reputation as a good caregiver will definitely have a large following waiting to come home.
    Hoping to hear soon and ofcourse see their pictures too.

9. deepslikes

Hi Paulina,
    I didn't get anyone yet.. I am a bit confused on what to do. If I get a doggie now and it doesn't get adopted within 3 months, I won't be able to foster Spirit if he needs it then.. I also have a vacation planned in mid-May right before Spirit is meant to be done with the program.. To add to my confusion, I read in the web site of the prison program that some of the doggies leave early because they don't get used to the hustle and bustle of prison life.. So just waiting to hear for some updates before I do something..
    Say hello to R+J from me :)

10. Paulina

Hi deeps,
    great to hear from you about Spirit ....so sweet of you to wait for him to decide if he wishes to continue the prison program or call it quits there.I'm sure he will join you soon ....how can he adjust to the strict rules after a doting pampering Mom lavished so much care on him?
    hope he returns and you find a good foster home for him before you start your vacation.
    R & J send their best waggies and woofs to you.
    Here is a pic of both ...R is a lazy lump forever stretched out near the AC .J loves to run around and here he is trying to coax R to join him with no success at all !! He seems to be saying " Will someone tell R to get up and come out to the garden......I'm fed up of calling him.."

[​IMG]

4 people like this.