Baking Classes

Discussion in 'Personal Services' started by archana.kc, Apr 24, 2009.

1. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Great Bhomma. That would be helpful. Thanks a million :)

2. sumimusik

sumimusik Senior IL'ite

Thank u for the info.I am glad to hear about the cultural academy..Cost sounds reasonable for 20 classes.

3. siva_sundari

siva_sundari New IL'ite

Hi all,

This is Sivagami...i live in USA. am coning to india during mid july and want to learn baking. i don't know the basics of baking...so to say right from scratch. my inlaws live in adyar so it would be convenient for me to attend from there. if its possible can u give me the contact details so then i can fix my appointment.
    sorry for all the trouble
    love
    sivagmi

4. mk88

mk88 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am a new member on this forum and i also live in Chennai. My name is Malini and I am extremely interested in taking baking lessons and came across your thread on the same. I tried out the suggestions you have mentioned including the Culture Academly and the Culinary Institute but i cant take weekday classes and would prefer weekends. If you do have some suggestions please let me know. Also, if you are looking for someone to join a class to make a big enough group (i noticed Bhooma mentioning that you will need about 4 people to join in to make a class) then i would be most glad. Thank you in advance for your help!

Regards,
    Malini

5. jeya0110

jeya0110 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Even i am interested in joining the baking classes...But like sivagami am a novice in baking. So it should be something from scratch.. Please let me know if you people find something near to velacherry..

Regards,
    Jeya.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  6. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Hi

I spoke to the person whom Bhooma was referring to. She charges Rs.350 for a baking session, and teaches one cake, one cookie and one pizza in that session. The session would last for 2.5 - 3 hours. She stays at Kasturibai Nagar, and looks like she will take only in a group. I am now learning baking with Chitvish, and so not keen on joining a class. Moreover, I know to make all the three that she has mentioned here!

Cheers

archana

7. mail2vkiran

mail2vkiran New IL'ite

Hi,

I am Kiran. I have just registered to this site.Could you please send me the contact details of ChitVish where they have baking classes.
    Also are there any other classes near Adyar.I am interested in Weekend classes.

thanks

8. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Bhooma & Deepa...I am also interested in baking and decorating. While the cakes turn out to be nice...The decoration is one area i flop badly. Will you provide the address and contact nos of these institutes/ people who teach cake decoration... I am coming to india during Mar next year on a vacation. I will contact them then.

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Arch,

By experience... i 'learnt' baking from a lady that i knew through someone, a decade back. she basically had practised from magazines and i was the one and only student. Looking back i learnt only all those very buttery cakes with loads of butter icing etc., I haven't since repeated anything i learnt from that class. I learnt to bake better after my blog discoveries and getting hooked onto a good library:) I was rather surprised at your query here... i'd say try out CV's recipes, from blogs and other websites. If at all you want to spend your money put it on a good decoration class. My 2 cents:)

Latha

10. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Latha,

I posted this query loonngg back! It was on seeing this thread, that Chitvish called me and asked me if we could join every weekend and make cakes and post in SBS. I posted this after a small blog discovery of a dates cake, and a chocolate sheet cake. These two were successes, and i was hooked to try more. Tried a vanilla sponge, and it was almost a frisbee. So quietly started going to CV - and i should say, it was a very rewarding experience, as she started with a very old english book - good house keeping, and we explored almost all her recipes of her baking class. I agree, now it does not make sense to put money into a class, but I still say - without a personal guidance, atleast for novices like me - blogs may not be of all that help, except a few ones that I really enjoy for their detailed stories! Now, I pretty much regularly follow exclusive baking blogs, and a lot of dessert blogs - a truly a satisfying experience to do so!
    Arch

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009