Getting a driving license in Dubai!

Discussion in 'Personal Services in Dubai' started by Sylviaram, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hey ILites in Dubai,

I moved to Dubai early this year and I have been struggling to get a driving licence. I have 8+ years driving experience in India but I am still going for my classes here. I registered with Emirates and they seem to be daylight robbers..

I am sure many of you would have gone thru' similar situations. Can we exchange our thoughts, ideas and experiences on the subject so that we know that we arent alone...

Cheers!
    Sylvia

2. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi Sylvia,

Getting a DL in dubai is ofcourse tough, as it is a straight forward exam with no room for a jolly ride..Before a year, even after failing the test, the no. of classes u need to take and reg. again for the test were all quite flexible, but now, they r restricting too much to limit the alarming inc. in no. of drivers and road accidents..So failing in a test causes severe loss , financially and also time consuming as classes have to be taken again..But as far as i know, EDI is the best institute in Dubai...So Best of Luck !!!

3. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hey maha,

you are right... DL is being such a pain lately. The cost per half hour class is 60dhs and if you fail once, you have to take 10 more classes before your next test. After I failed my first test I waited for about 3 months to get a instructor again. My husband completed his classes in Sept and is still waiting for his road test... We have spent more than 5000dhs already and I am not sure how much more we need to spend before we actually get our licence.

I need a lot of luck!

thanks
    Sylvia

4. balwinder

balwinder New IL'ite

I am new to this forum: From the USA and I have been studying Licensing Requirments in Dubai. You have rightly said, 'it's a day light robbery!! The sustem has been monopolized and only Indian suffer there!

Dubai has agreement with other countries to exchange their driving licenses but not form India! I can understand the reasons but to fail and then charge and fail and more lessons!! That's just not fare:

More on this topic next time:
    Best Regards to you all.

5. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I have failed thrice and spent more than 4000dhs already. I dont know how much more money I need to part with before actually getting a license. I am not a bad driver actually... I have more than 8 years of driving experience in India with zero accidents... touch wood!

Here, they expect you to show your best performance in just a few secs. you are allowed to drive for a very limited distance and sub-zero tolerance towards mistakes. They should understand that a person is a little nervous when it comes to a test. Examiners are known to be rude and grumpy and they look for ways to fail you. With all that, there is a big waiting period.. last time my test was at 7:30am and I was called in at 10:15am. After all this, there is absolutely no consideration for nervousness or tension.

I believe that, to get a driving licence is Dubai, you dont need to be a good driver, you just have to be lucky. I have seen terrible drivers getting their licence just becos they speak arabic. lol!

Whatever, this is probably the price you pay for moving to a different nation... I am missing India.. sob sob sob!

Regards
    Sylvia

6. balwinder

balwinder New IL'ite

Hi Sylvia,

You said it right! the price we pay to move to another country!! Such a big workforce from India emigrate to the UAE and yet this kind of behaviour with us. The Govt. of Dubai should have some consideration - people from India can not exchange their licenses yet drivers from most of the countries allowed to do so. It is NOT fair.

There must be something that we can do. So all of you out there with same problems- let's get together and do it.

Take care and Good luck for next time:
    Balwinder [​IMG]

7. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Dear Sylvia

It is easier said than done. You may be a driver of 8 years experience in India. But that will never work here in U.A.E. Here is it "KEEP RIGHT", whereas in India it is "KEEP LEFT". The driver sits in the left side here, and in India it is right hand drive. This makes a lots of difference. The roads are very smooth and vehicles move at fast pace. Lane changing is not done like India. In India there are no lanes.......... or vehicles just move here and there without maintaining lane discipline.

I am resident of Dubai for 14 years and driving for 8 years.... i.e. in 1999, I got my licence after a strenuous 1 year training carrying a learner's licence. That time, even side parking, garage parking, hill, signal and then Road test..... all these tests will be taken by Police themselves. We will be given only the dates and not time..... will wait from 8:00AM and take the road test by 12 /1:00PM only.

You cannot be nervous when you drive the car, which is a great threat and risk to other drivers on road. You have to be firm and steady while taking up the test. You have to do shoulder test, give proper indication while changing lanes etc. I have seen many who must have passed in short cut ways, but find it extremely difficult to side park their car and hit the other cars and damage the parked cars. Earlier days, all our cars remained in tact without any hit / dent. Now due to constraint in parking spaces all the cars are found with hits and dents!!!!!!!!!

Sylvia........... you have to be patient. It is not day light robbery. It is question of safety of other road users!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish you good luck.

Warm Regards
    Shanti Subramanian
    17-12-07

8. swethakrishnan

swethakrishnan Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I'm going to register for a license soon. I want to know whether it is better to apply for Manual or Automatic. Most of the people here drive automatic vehicles ... which one do u feel is better?

9. Jaynat

Jaynat New IL'ite

Dear Sylvia

Take it easy. It is indeed tough to get a license in Dubai but it is damn worth. EDI is the best and swedish model course program. Dont worry. Very soon you will get ur license. At least dont bother about money spending but think it is an investment. Just take note that EDI instructors are little bit tough but the Cops are bit relaxed. They will not make any unnecessary comments. It is policy of UAE to minimise the issuance of license. Until 2005, in Dubai it was very easy to get only in Abu Dhabi it was tough, but due to the increase of road fatal accidents they want to make sure that safe driving practice is adopted,but the rule is only for Expats. Indian riding will not be counted as at back home, still no discipline on roads are enforced. long way to go.

good luck and again i repeat take it easy. you will get ur license soon.

10. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hey Swetha,

According to me, automatic is better. I dont think you will buy a manual car anyway. Automatic vehicle is better for Dubai roads... Also, its easier passing an automatic vehicle since the numbers of parameters for the road test if relatively lesser.

Good Luck to you...!

Take care
    Sylvia