Girls Colleges- Delhi University

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by sweetsanjam, Apr 15, 2010.

1. sweetsanjam

sweetsanjam Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends
    The Delhi University Admission time is quite near. Which college did you enrol in for your graduations? What did you like best about your college? Details about all the Girls Colleges in Delhi University. Let us all contribute!

2. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

I had the privilege of studying in Miranda House. As you all know, it is one of the premier institutions of Delhi.
    It was founded way back in 1948, by Sir Maurice Gwyer, the then Vice Chancellor. The foundation stone was laid by Lady Edwina Mountbatten on March 7, 1948.

Miranda House stands inside the Delhi University Campus. The warm red brick structure is one of my most favourite sights. The spacious and elaborate verandahs and corridors have many a happy memory of my college days.

The college teaches humanities and science to more than 2500 students. It celebrated its Diamond Jubilee in 2007-08.

:coffee

3. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

Hey,

This is a nice thread.

I was a student of Maitreyi College. It is located in the southern campus of the University of Delhi.
    The college offers a number of undergraduate courses in Humanities, Commerce and Science. I was a student of B.A (Hons) Sociology.

The common pre-admission forms are generally made available by the Delhi University in the beginning of June. The completed application forms are generally needed to be submitted back by the end of the second week of June.

The contact information of Maitreyi College is: Bapudham Complex, Chankyapuri, New Delhi – 110021. The contact number is 011- 24673815.

4. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

I did my B.A. (Hons) History from Delhi College of Arts and Commerce. This is not a girls’ college. This co-educational institution is situated in Netaji Nagar.
    It has the following courses:
    a) B.Com
    b) B.Com Hons
    c) Bachelor of Journalism Hons
    d) B.A. Hons English
    e) B.A. Hons Economics
    f) B.A Hons History
    g) B.A. Hons Political Science
    h) B.A.

At present, the institution has add-on certificate courses on French, Spanish, German and Woman’s Development Studies.

For admission to the first year of the degree course to this college a candidate’s age should be 17 years before the first day of October in the year in which he/she seeks admission and should not be more than 19 years.

5. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

Dear All,

I did my graduation from Lady Irwin College. The college offers undergraduate, graduate and degrees in a number of specialties in Home Science or Home Economics.

Lady Irwin College was started in 1932 under the patronage of the then Vicerine Lady Dorothy Irwin. This college is said to be the first Home Science college of India.
    This pioneer institution is located in Sikandrabad.

Lady Irwin College has four departments, namely Food and Nutrition, Textiles and Clothing, Child Development and Community Resource Management and Extension.
    It has a handicraft training centre for artisans.
    It is spread over 16.5 acres of land.

6. JoyshreeGupta

JoyshreeGupta Senior IL'ite

I am proud to have passed out from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Lady</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Shri</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Ram</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">College</st1:placeType></st1:place> for Women. <st1:placeName w:st="on">Lady</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Shri</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Ram</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">College</st1:placeType> which is equally well known by its acronym “LSR” is undoubtedly one of the foremost institutions of higher learning for women in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> today and offers BA Hons courses in Journalism, Elementary Education, Hindi, History, Maths, Philosophy, Psychology, Sanskrit, Sociology, and English besides BSc course in Statistics.
    I studied English Literature at LSR and it was a great experience. Last year, the cut off for English Literature was 91%. The Alumuni list includes well known names like Aung San Suu Kyi, Radhika Kaul and Hon’ble Justice Gita Mittal of the Delhi High Court.
    The college has hostel facilities. For more information you can log onto Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi. Ph 011-2643 4459

7. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

Friends,

My younger sister is doing her graduation from Indraprastha College. The address is 31, Shamnath Marg, Delhi – 110054. The telephone number is 011- 23954085. It is near the DU Vice Chancellor’s Office. It is also near the Kashmere Gate.

The college teaches arts, commerce and social sciences. It offers vocational course as well. IP College offers a Three Year Hons Degree course in:

B.Sc Computer Science, Commerce ,Economics,
    English, Hindi ,History
    Mass Media & Mass Communication, Mathematics, Philosophy,
    Political Science, Psychology, Sanskrit

The college, my sister says, has a faculty of almost 100 teachers.
    She likes the position of the college close to the banks of the Yamuna River.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  8. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

My elder sister was a student of Daulat Ram College. She was a very good student and used to speak highly of her college.
    Daulat Ram College is situated at the heart of the North Campus of DU. It was originally known as Pramila College. Later it was named after the renowned educationist Sri Daulat Ram Gupta.
    The college offers undergraduate courses in all the 3 streams- Science, Humanities and Commerce. The college has as many as 19 departments.
    The library, my sis used to say, is brilliant. The college encourages various extra-curricular activities and teacher-student intereaction.

In order to get admitted to the B. Com (Hons) and B.A. (Hons) or B. Sc. (Hons) one needs to have the required cut-off marks that is declared every year by the college.

9. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

Jaya,

My cousin is in the 2nd year of her graduation. She studies in Daulat Ram College. Like your sis, she also speaks highly of the institution. My cousin is an outstation candidate and hence she stays at the hostel. The hostel has 125 seats. She is very satisfied with the boarding facilities.
    She loves the academic environs of the college. Being a very independent girl, she likes the democratic spirit which I am sure enriches the life of all students.

The minimum age for admission to First Year Degree Courses in Daulat Ram is 17 years before the 1st of October of the year in which one is seeking admission.

10. shefalisingh

shefalisingh Senior IL'ite

Hi all
    One of my cousins studied at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Lady</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Hardinge</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Medical</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">College</st1:placeType></st1:place>. The College is situated at <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Bhagat Singh Road</st1:address></st1:Street>, near <st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">Connaught Place</st1:Street>, <st1:City w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:City></st1:address> 110 001. It was inaugurated by Lord Hardinge the then Viceroy of India on 17th February 1916.It is said that the college was built to commemorate the visit of Her Majesty Queen Mary in 1911-12.

While <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Lady</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Hardinge</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Medical</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">College</st1:placeType></st1:place> admits only girls to its MBBS course, it admits both boys and girls to its post graduate medical programs. It also runs a diploma course in nursing for female candidates. Candidates who wish to seek admission to the MBBS course have to clear the entrance examination conducted by <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Delhi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">University</st1:placeType></st1:place>.
    For further details you can contact the LHMC at Ph 233- 43984.
    :thumbsup