1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Santa Clara dmvtest

Discussion in 'Personal Services in Bay Area' started by aparnamohan, Dec 18, 2008.

1. aparnamohan

aparnamohan New IL'ite

I have my drivers test at santaClara DMV , can anyone tell me what exactly is test route . & any suggestions

2. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

From a friend...

A word of personal suggestion: Santa Clara DMV test is tough.. I would suggest Santa Teresa DMV Rather..

Forward email:
    Here the three routes that Santa Clara DMV people tak u for the drive test. I collected this info when Iswarya Rai (name bumped) was giving test. I thought this info will be very useful, so sending to group. But please note that Santa Clara DMV is real tough(mainly for women starting to drive and give test here). I heard that Pleasanton or Mountain View DMV offices are little relaxed w.r.t Test. Enjoy!

Route 1:
    ========
    L on Granada
    R on Pomeroy
    R on El Sobrante Av (Reverse & Curbside Test)
    R on Kiely Blvd
    L on Benton
    R on White Dr
    R on Las Palmas Dr @ STOP sign
    R on HomeStead
    R on Pomeroy
    R on Granada
    R onto DMV Office and Park

Route 2:
    ========
    L on Granada
    R on Pomeroy
    R on El Sobrante Av
    R on Via Dondera
    R on Cala Blazas
    L on El Camino Real
    R on Lawrence Rd (Not onto Lawrence Freeway)
    R on Warburton Avenue (Reverse and Curbside Parking)
    R on Pomeroy
    R on El Camino
    L on Flora Vista
    R on Granda
    R onto DMV office and Park

Route 3:
    ========
    L on Granada
    Lon Pomeroy
    R on El Camino Real
    R on Kiely Blvd
    R on Home Stead Rd
    R on Qunice Avenue
    L on Brook Dale
    R on Pomeroy
    L on Benton
    R on Flora Vista Ave
    L on Granda
    R onto DMV office and Park

Thanks and Regards,
    Iswarya Rai and Abhisek Bachan... :)

1 person likes this.
  3. rflonver

rflonver Guest

Although, I don't remember the exact route, when I had given my test (that I flunked the first time :)) I can say they look for atleast these items, so be sure you are comfortable doing atleast these
    1. Lane change
    2. Watch for changing speed limits (trust me, going slower in higher limit zones is considered nervousness versus caution)
    3. Watch for ped crossings
    4. Watch for bikers in the lanes when making right turns (make sure you look over and go into the dotted bike lane when ready to make the right, I tried to over-impress by making a WIDE right and avoid the bike lane completely, that kinda upset my examiner Big Laugh)
    5. Look into the mirrors, every 5-8 secs
    6. Curbside parking and/or lot parking
    7. Watch for school zones (this one is a must)
    8. STOP signs
    9. Unprotected left turns
    10. Merge versus yield

I had given my test twice and both times in SC DMV they looked for ATLEAST the ones above, its been 6 years so things may have changed but I wouldnt think they change all taht drastically) Regardles sof what people tell you, the examiners make the right judgement of the person's driving skills and they prefer to be safe than sorry when it comes to a person's readiness to drive on the streets. When I failed my driving test the first time, I felt terrible but then I realized I defintely got better for my second test, so keep an open mind.

I wish you good luck, you will do fine..Let us know the outcome of your test....

1 person likes this.
  4. dtmg08

dtmg08 New IL'ite

Hey rflonver,

How r U ? Hope all fine with U.
    Am still learning how to drive but seeing all the post am scared of giving the test in SC DMV,but as U said they just want to make sure the give the license to ones who deserve it.
    Could tell me if u took any driving lessons and from who.it wld be very helpful.

thanks n tc

5. rflonver

rflonver Guest

I took driving lessons from my husband both times. I can understand being nervous and all but keep an open mind and practice well. Dont pressure yourself to go to the test if you dont think you are ready. Consider this an opportunity to reassure yourself that you are a safe driver to drive on the streets. If you pass, congratualtions. If you fail, you just prevented an accident that could have happened, so its a win-win

Good luck to you! Do let us know how your test went. When is the test?

6. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Not getting a license when you are not ready is ALWAYS GOOD ..
    Since you will save your family by being alive for those who depends on you ALSO you are helping the other drivers..
    Having said that, getting the license should not be the goal, getting self confidence yourself so that you feel that , YES!! I can drive now, I can be a SAFE DRIVER...
    At this point, you dont need to look for these routes, the Examiner etc.. you will get them automatically working for you.
    My spouse did fail 4 times, all the times I was as happier as I was when my spouse finally got the License.. Each time, I found that examiner used to explain me why he/she is not passing my spouse, I ALWAYS think that the Examiners are very nice and doing their JOB PERFECTLY WELL..
    Please LEARN LEARN LEARN by doing a lot of PRACTICE, taking the things very practical on the ROAD..
    Good luck for your Safe future DRIVING..

7. MooMooi

MooMooi New IL'ite

Thank you, SreeSri, for sharing the above information! I just took my driving test a few days ago at the Santa Clara DMV, and this was the exact route that my examiner took me on. I'm so glad I managed to practice the route beforehand thanks to the info provided here. I passed my test on the first attempt because of this. Thanks so much once again!

8. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Sure, I passed this info from another friend,
    As a Thanks, help at least two others(helping in any manner).
    Be safe in driving...

9. Pinkie7

Pinkie7 New IL'ite

I passed behind the wheel test about 2 weeks back. Following was the route the examiner asked me to follow:

Turn left at Granada Ave
    Turn right at Pomeroy Ave
    Take the 2nd left onto El Sobrante St (Curbside parking and reversing the car)
    Take the 2nd right onto Kiely Blvd
    Turn right at Homestead Rd
    Turn right at Pomeroy Ave
    Turn left at Benton St
    Take the 3rd right onto Flora Vista Ave
    Turn left at Granada Ave
    Enter the parking lot

I would advise to be familiar with the surroundings by driving 1-2 times over there before the test. Below are the main streets which you should practice atleast once so that you are comfortable driving in that area: Flora Vista, Pomeroy, Kiely, El camino, Benton, Homestead.

And DO NOT BE NERVOUS. I was too nervous and hence i messed up in my first attempt. In my second attempt i tried to be calm and it helped.

All the best!!!! :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  10. renuga

renuga Senior IL'ite

HI
    I too took driving test this week and examiner took me to same route what Pinkie has given.I passed my drive test and happy now.

Renu