1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

threatended by sisters family

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by killed, Oct 5, 2015.

1. killed

killed New IL'ite

Hello, Please help me with some suggestion.

I am only son and have two elder sisters. Both of them married living in US for past 22 and 17 years US citizens, owns houses. Both of their husband are MD of the Big Consulting firms earning close 300k USD (what I have from glassdoor).

I lived in Mumbai with my parents, My father was undergoing dialysis which was almost three times a week. My father has put in all his earning in buying a apartment house in Mumbai. He could not have done it alone, I took heavy loan and we both manage to buy house together. I cleared loan after 10 years of struggle, saved every penny literally to pay off loan. I never visited my sis house till now. I did manage to work hard and reach to VP in a company. I did go to USA from my company for business 3 years back, never got invited or suggested by them.

Now my sisters are trying hard to get my house and all my earning; Brainwashed my mother to a point that she asked me to give in writing that "I will not force her out of the house." And about the properties "girls are born just like boys and have equal right in property of father" - by law. Also "It is boy responsibility to take take care of parents." - by religion.

After my father expired, I went back from UK to live with my mother in India, did not take other offers from UK or Japan, as she I could not get a visa for her. So I stayed back with her. I got married and have a son now when I was 34 yrs when married. We had to move out of the house, since my mother started to bang her head to floor or break things for small issues. It seems strange but issues she had was, I went with my wife for a weekend dinner, we never went again. We use to close door when we were alone. It was hard to explain to my mom.

I did not wanted her to get hurt. I have explained this to my brother in law. He refused to interfere and he suggested that it "your family issue". Now I am close to 40 yrs and he is almost 55 yrs, but seems like message is lost. All I said to him, is back to hunt me now.

But with growing house problem, I had to resign my job and even move out home. My boss feedback was "You are always lost in your sad world". Nothing against my work. Well I did try yoga and stress buster problem. which helped as I am alive.

My wife is the bread earner now. but that does not bother her. She has problem with "kind of family" she got married in!. We are away from my home. Now when my friends who visited my mother told that my sisters are visiting soon and have some papers for her. They seem to have already proved right over other fathers property in our village which is worth less than their flight ticket to India.

My question is How can a greedy sisters can be satisfied ? What should I do, Shall I file a case against them ? Shall I ask Indian community in Virginia to help me resolve this ? Seek out help from any where else?

Now I am struggling hard with money no job and they just left my mother in pain. She has knee problem and need immediate doctor attention. She would not talk to me, and evil sisters did not bother to get any medical help since it costs them.

Please Help me !!!

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@killed,
    though it is shocking to read your story, that is what the world is coming to.
    Extremely sorry for the situation you are facing. But the fact is , your sisters have equal right in the property. If the property has been registered in your father's name, in the absence of a will, it will be divided equally among all legal heirs, including your mother.
    The best option for you, is to engage a good lawyer, and listing your mother's medical expenses, and your contribution towards the property (with valid proof) you may get a decent share.
    Wish you well.

1 person likes this.
  3. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Where some daughters are struggling to take care of their parents because of their inlaws resentment while some daughters want only equal share of property while dumping the responsibility completely on brother's shoulder...
    both are the truth of society this time....

Op, at this time are you living with ur mother??? If not is she alone?? First help out your mother....

Legally daughters are equal heir of property while they have equal obligation....
    if they ask equal share in property...tell them they have to share ur mother responsibility too....ask them if they are ready for it???

4. killed

killed New IL'ite

I am not with my mother, I moved out of the house around 2 years back. Out of India now. Could not get work permit to work.

Care : If you ask; Did they take care of her ? very difficult to answer, because; They did a B2 visa and took her to their place in US. Then after 1 year of extension they dropped her back in India. She was suffering with knee pain started around 2.5 years back; my wife had taken her to hospital earlier and got medications. (my wife is in good terms with her). I am the son treated as daughter in law.

When she was in US, she never went to doctor Why ? reason ?? I do know. Last when I spoke to my mom; she said because she did not want them to spend money and mother could not afford medical bills. This is surprising, No medical insurance? What a mess ? Well what I see is it costs around 5000 USD MAX. that is not more 3L-5L INR Max ? They could not do this !!! My mom has joint account with me with more 15L in saving.

Now she is back in India alone with all pain, My mother told me that her daughters had extended their holidays for 10 days because of her suffering and then had to leave for job and family?

I always felt women are more sensitive and caring But my sisters proved me wrong.

The reason why I called was to check how she feels If I returned back, but we fought for more than 2 hours no results. All I could hear was "Your sis have done all for me."

Greed is what driving them. I want to make sure all their friends and office know about them. They have destroyed my family, they deserve the same.

5. coolgal123

@killed, I have few more questions to ask...
    1. Did ur sisters talked about property division clearly or u r assuming that ur sisters are being greedy....
    2. Ur sisters leave ur mother back in India because her visa duration was over ???or for some other reasons?? Why they took ur mother to US???

Talk to ur mother rationally and ask her....
    That now ur sisters have left her in India alone for whatever reasons if she needs you to come back to her or she can manage alone???

6. killed

killed New IL'ite

Thanks for reading me post.

1. Yes, Before my marriage on first year of my fathers ritual, I told her lets sit and discuss how we can sort the property issues. My sister decided to pick all her stuff and go to airport and sit at airport for 5 hours for flight to Hyderabad. Well I dropped her and did got a chance to speak again.

The reason I asked her is becuase when I approached authorities for change of bills example electricity, or change of tenants etc, I was told that it needs to have proper paper work. Well society authority refused to speak to me even if I am half owner of flat.

I approached a lawyer got the paper work done to get NOC, which was discussed by lawyer with them and AGREED. These are more like making a person responsible for taking out various tasks. Which was never signed by them after papers were done. It was returned back to me blank. They agreed with lawyer on call. Now lawyer starting charging me huge every month seeing what was happning. My mother saw all this but refuses to accept any of these, reason ?? I dont know!!

2. Yes, they left her because of visa was over, Being citizen then can get green card for her thats what I read on uscis site and suggested by brother in law. but they never tried Why ?? Yes I was suggested by my Brother-in-law that I should leave immediately my life and should go back to my mom because "moms are responsibility of sons". Why they took her ? - To prove to me and her that they were are caring daughters, caring means provide food and shelter, No medical attention. They thought it was a short trip may be couple of months. (I am assuming). Kept on checking on me when I am going back. My mom shared my number.

I am trying to speak to her "rationally is difficult to say" because she has that I had you for 9 months and carried you around. But I go back, not a single movement we are happy. We have day start with some petty fight then "you want to kill me for property" etc. If stay away and dont talk, then "Ofcourse you will ignore me"

There is nothing rational left. I thought if I was away for some time, she would she the difference. We had a driver and car, I suggested get a servent for cooking etc my mom refuses to use any of those, principles !!

7. coolgal123

@killed, what I got from your post is
    Your mother doesn't trust u completely and ur sister's interference is making the gap wide...ur sister's interference is creating trouble for u and even for ur mom.because of this interference ur mom is not getting proper care neither from u not from ur sisters....
    Nobody of u talking and reaching to a clear decision regarding property division and care for ur mother.....
    U r accusing them of being greedy and they are accusing u same.....u r saying that ur sisters didn't took proper care and if somebody will ask ur sisters , they will say the same about you....
    Instead of getting frustrated over things u talk to ur sisters and brothers in law for once and all....
    Stop fighting or arguing with your mother....it will be of no use....just ignore her and ask her what does she wants you to do....does she want u to come back to India???

Start the process of getting the property on your and your mother's name....this will make clear if your sisters want any share....if they want their share than let them take the responsibility of mother too....
    When your bil says that mother is son responsibility than tell him that if it is the case then please don't interfere next time by taking ur mother to US without discussing with you first...

8. killed

killed New IL'ite

@coolgal . They dont say I am greedy but "irresponsible". And yes I do think it has to be sorted once for all.

My mother is confused most of the time now, I think another wrong thing I am doing is talking via my mother now since I feel all bridges have been broken.

Share mothers responsibility, may be not; she was in pain all this time and they did not get doctor ??

Anyway thanks for suggestion, I just want to be prepared for discussion, Do you think I need some one like a lawyer or anyone with me. Do you think I can contact any family counselor in their office/county etc ? Should I record since they never keep their word any time.

9. coolgal123

@killed, yes you should discuss these things with ur sisters and bills directly....
    I think you should do the talking first without lawyers ....if you want you can consult some lawyer regarding your doubts before discussion....but don't involve any lawyer into discussion....
    Don't go into legalities and all during discussion.....keep the discussion family discussion types....after first discussion u will get an idea what is their stand on the issues....after that if you feel that you can't handle alone then may be you can take a trusted family member in between ....or a lawyer....
    I guess you can record the conversation without their knowledge ....I hope this is not illegal....

10. killed

killed New IL'ite

Thanks Coolgal.. Some of the points I am thinking of getting sorted

1. How the properties be divided ?
    2. Who takes responsibility of mom ? Responsibility does not providing money Stay with her or have some one available with her

I am sounding like a little kid, but I just want to be right thing.

Thanks again gal ..