1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My dad's habit is causing problem . please help me

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sanarthi, Jul 20, 2015.

1. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I require your advice here. I'm a working mom, staying near by my parents. After my child birth, my parents as they are retired, they came here to see my baby. We stay

in seperate house.

The problem is , my fathers words soemtiems are more hurting. He thinks as he makes joke and spills out some words regarding my daughter. Example:-

1. My baby will cling on to me after i come back to home. So if i move aroud some where she wil cry as amma and will come hug me and will tell me to carry. In this

situation my dad wil tell " See how she calls like night begger( ra pichai)"; Even i feel hurt. My husband also feels the same.

2. As babies thing, my baby wont respond alsways if you call her. When she wants something, she will respond. When i call my baby , if she dont respond, my dad

thinking he is making joke of that situation, he will tell "yei deaf dog ( yei sevudu, sevudu nai)"

3. The recent one, we went to a fort in kannur. my husband and i went to the fort, when returned, she was clining on to me, without leaveing me for a minute. My dad

thinking he is making a joke he told" you should have thrown her to the sea" .

Like wise many has happend and my husband responded for Kannur incident. He told dont talk like that mama. this is more hurting.

My dad he told that you dont have the right sense to take it and left the place. after then he did not talk to my husband. My husband is ok now. After coming home when

my mom talks to dad he tells the following things:

1. Her in laws are not that amicable; still we dont make any issue. At any point of time they are not changing. They are stubborn in what ever customs they have and

her mil is not that much good talking lady, showing off as a Guy's mother and expects us to bend to her.

2. Son in law(my husband) is also not that attached to us. Still we come all the way from our home town to take care of the baby. So dont I have that right to talk

anything. Am i doing what i tell? if i tell to put her in sea, that is for a joke; i am like this for past 60 yrs; you wanted me to change where as her inlaws and SIL

( my husband) wont change for any reason. He tells i cannot change my self, i will talk as such only as i have the right to talk. And now he is not talking to my

husband and my husband is cool. he is ok if he not talks and he did not take any further

My husband tells i cannot voulntrily talk to your father to console his anger. I he talk i will also talk and if incase i talk and he does not respond i will leave as

it is. Eventhough your parents has supported a lot by being silent to my parents does not mean i can be a slave to them. it does not mean they can talk what ever he

wanted.

My husband tells the following:

1. not everytime i can keep silent. When your father calls our daughter Deaf, i can be silent. But how do you expect me to become silent when he tells to put her in

sea.

2. Just because my mother is not amicable and as your parents they accomodate, does that mean your daddy can talk anything. Tomorrow incase he is sick and we take him

some where and we tell that we can put him in sea or leave in railway station, wont he feel hurted.

3. I am ok for all his jokes, but what i wanted is to not to use any harsh words.

My feelings:

1. Even i am getting hurted when i dad puts certain words. So it is natural for my husband to get erupted when heard some unusal words.

2. My father is as such. his age (60 yrs) is not ready to accpet what he talks is not correct in parents purview. He clearly tells why cannot daughter and son in law

accept me as i am and bear my words; As i adjusted to their inlaws from the day of the marriage proposal and have relocated to see the baby. Dont that show that i love

this baby? Only this words show that i dont have love?

3. What to do ladies. My daddy is also stubborn and same is my husband. Please guide me.

2. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Why is your father bringing the topic of your inlaws when defending himself? This makes me feel he is doing this more as a revenge .

But is he generally like this to everybody?

yesican likes this.
  3. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

Dear OP ,

You should have stopped and curbed your dad's usage of such filthy words against your daughter at the very first instance. Now say to him, “Kulainthaiyum Deivyum Onnu”..(child and god is one). So don't use such harsh words against your LO.
    It is not right to demand using such words as “funny ones”. Your MIL , SIL roles / acts does not have connectivity to this issue. A wrong deed cannot be accepted as an excuse of another. If you have any issues with the In-laws deal it separately. Does age act as a factor to overlook any abusive act. Then your MIL also will reserve the same reason ..isn't it?
    Try talking to your dad in a amicable way to express your feeling of pain when he uses such words and convince him.

sindmani and pear like this.
  4. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

Hi Iamsrihere,

He is not intentional to rake revenge on my inlaws. He usually do it on me and my mother ; now it is my daughter.

5. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

Dear sanarthi

Will your child understand it that way? How old is she?

6. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

Hi Sangeethapriya,

She is just 2 yrs. I really feel hurt and then i cannot tell my husband to keep quiet always. He can be silent at times, not i cannot expect him to be silent all times my dad puts some uncomfortable words.

7. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

Why is it so important for your parents to re locate for the love of the grand child?

Are you working and are they the care givers to your baby while you are away at work?

Whatever the case, he cannot talk they way he talks (even though according to him its just a joke)

if it hurts.. it just hurts...

he cannot defend it by saying

1) He is old
    2) He has relocated for the sake of baby
    3) He was always patient with your ILs

The above points are irrelevant to the topic... better don't mix things up

In my opinion it is not even healthy for a child to be subjected to a usage of language like this (sevudu naye, ra pitchai etc) ... I wouldn't subject my child to this. It won't be long before your child starts calling her play mate or any random stranger sevudu naye.. I wouldn't approve of such a usage..

What you can do ... just my opinion

1) try to reason with him as to why it is not good to use such a language in a child's presence and hence he needs to stop

2) see if you can do away with the arrangement of having them constantly around...by the post it sounds to me like a permanent arrangement after a good amount of planning.. not sure if that is changeable.. if not you have more reasons to be much more assertive than what you are now...

your husband sounds reasonable / fair in his expectations and outlook. I am not very sure if he was "equally fair" while dealing with his own side of family (looks like he was not).. nonetheless it is unrelated to the problem on hand and do not muddle your thoughts with all this..

the only question you need to ask your self is this ..

Is it acceptable to me as the mother of the child ?

is yes.. ignore the jokes and move on .. if no.. put your foot down .. no matter what and who..

sindmani, yesican, Marzipan and 3 others like this.
  8. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

Thanks SWT.Charu for your kind reply. I dont like it. But now and then i will tell him it hurts. he will ignore. This time my husband got involved. i already argued with him. He tells i am like it. You have to tolerate. if yes , we can stay together if not we can part. This is his reply.

In this case i prefer the latter. If i tolereate him for this habit, surely he wil take advanatge for his some other hurting habits later. It does not sound good to me either. and age factor is not related to change. Change for good must. If not, then we must ignore the people.

9. sweety17

sweety17 Gold IL'ite

Babies clinging to parents is common. Almost 99% do it. But calling them deaf in case they don't listen is not correct. At the most what anybody could say is to give them a slap or something if they don't listen the next time. But calling them offensive names is a big NO. and excuse such as age,IL's revenge etc is pathetic.

It is always clear that if you don't react to the abuses today, then tomorrow almost everyone will abuse the little one. It is you who has to protect the baby and make sure no one abuses. If this continues it may have serious impact on the child's growth. Somebody is just taking advantage of being old and thinks they can talk anything. This is the mentality of people from old school.

OP, put your foot down and argue with daddy not to make offensive 'Jokes' at baby. If you don't stop it now am afraid you can't do it later. Already its late. Should have cut it off at the first instance itself. And better stay far from them. Mingling occasionally will help.

sindmani likes this.
  10. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

oh my god, such harsh words for such a small baby. We can not say these words to others' babies forget about our own. If it is a joke, then your dad has a rotten sense of humour. Just tell it on his face, next time. in our house you are not allowed to say "adi, aadu" to babies. We add "babu, thalli" in the end. Your husband is very much right. When your husband gets involved, don't stop him. Let him give his dose. If you are not in a position to say anything to your dad then at least don't stop a father who speaks for his daughter. If your dad doesn't talk to you hubby later, then let it be. He moved to your place for the love of his grand child. is he doing a favour? 60 years is not that old. and anyhow age doesn't have anything to do with common sense.