1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Happy and yet not happy - I am happy but my sister is not and that is killing me!

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by pinknblue, May 15, 2015.

1. pinknblue

pinknblue New IL'ite

Hi everyone,

I am here to ask for your advise about the following:

1.best way my sister can handle her situation
    2. ways I can help her

First the issue my sister is facing: She has been maried for almost 5 yrs and has an almost 2 yr old baby girl. From day one, there hasnt been any true bonding or love between her and her husband. The husband is just not willing to even sit down and have a heart to heart talk to her about it. Ofcoure she has her own speculation, family issues and personality differences. I understand when family issues arise and couples fight. But in their marriage there's mere obligation to stay together and put up a happy face. Absolutely no longing, no love. And then few times the guy has been physically abusive. Though he pretends as if he did it by mistake or was just being playful. He is good when it comes to spending money on both set of a parents and would try to be nice to our side of the family too, when meetin gin person or talking on phone. But keeps to himself when its just the 2 of them, controls who she talks to, who she meets, her finances, doesnt want to travel for leisure (whenever my sister wants to make some plans will shut her up ad refer to few trips they made in the first two years of marriage...saying how much more she wants to travel). once in a while, he will come back and apologize after being physically abusive and will try to make her feel better for a day or two but will be back to his usual self in a couple of days.

The Issue I am facing: Me and my sister are in different continents and our parents in another one. Distances ofcourse dont make it easy. My own life has been a mixed bag and is just getting better. I have two questions for you. Whats the best way I can help my sister. I feel so utterly helpless. We are very different personalities. And I am realizing that earlier I would say so many daring things to her and push her to not settle for this bull**** and speak up and even think of divorce (before she had her baby) but when I think of my own situation couple of years back, I never had the courage to do some of those things myself and so I feel what right I have to tell her to do those things. But in her case the husband is just not ready to talk, listen, share or anything.
    And secondly, (ok I am really finding it hard to put it down forget how to handle it) there's so much in my own life that's good and making me happy and then I look at my sisters state and I hate my own happiness. Its like if I close my eyes to my parents and sister's miserable life, my own life is full of happiness, but I have come to hate my happiness. I feel extremely sad to see that while I am getting to enjoy physically and money wise, no matter what I do I just cant help my parents or my sister. (Helping parents through money - they dont accept is another matter and being constantly there for both sister n parents - by talking to them everyday and listening to them). I almost feel like god doesnt want any of us to be happy. At the same time, I do realize that in my role as a mother and wife its unfair to my hubby n child to see me sad. But no matter how hard I try, my sadness on my sister and parents front spills over to when I am with my daughter and husband. Please tell me how can I be, if not the best but atleast be good in my different roles and yet lead a peaceful life without feeling guilty and sad all the time.

2. Maniya

Maniya Senior IL'ite

I feel for you.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  3. Merushilpa

Merushilpa Senior IL'ite

Hello pinknblue
    Your story is exact same as mine except my sis dont hv kids yet.After all ups and down my life getting a bit steady now,planning for my second kid,but all these sis and parents problems makes me insane and as u said that reflects on my hubby and child.
    I too feel helpless and cant even eat and sleep peacefully and cant enjoy being happy with family.
    In business or other fields we can put efforts and change it as we want but dealing with stubborn egoistic ppl is very tough.its not like one of those Rajinikanth movies wherein his kindness and sacrifice melts the enemies hearts.In reality the more u tolerate the more they take us for granted.
    I don't want to sound pessimist but as of now,after trying my best,I hv resigned everything upon gods feet and hope for best.As they say Time is best healer,one should learn to let go of things as sometimes u can only Love your dear ones but can't save them.For the sake of kid and to save my sanity,I am mentally accepting the fate and going with the flow of life.all this bcos I don't want all these negativity affect my kid.
    Life is harsh upon everybody so take life as it comes.everybody have ups and downs in life.have positive thought that life will get better.my feeling for my sibling will never diminish but as of now iam not happy nor broken. Sounds philosophical but this attitude will save our family.

2 people like this.
  4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

pinknblue

I understand where you're coming from. I go through these bouts as well, even though none of my guilt is for reasons as painful as yours. I feel bad with our huge backyard and comfortable home, when my parents have to climb up 3 floors to get to our home in India. I feel bad when I just zoom off in my car when my parents have to haggle with auto-drivers etc. So, I think everyone goes through emotions like this.

But think about it this way, your happiness is probably the sliver of hope in your parents' otherwise miserable life. They probably get this small peace of mind that at least one of their children is leading a happy life. I think you being happy and at peace is important in not just making it peaceful for them, but that would also put you in a place where you will be able to be the emotional support to them in their times of misery. Reassure your sister that you're there for her, re-assure your parents that you're there for your sister and them. I think that would matter to them most.

4 people like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I came up with about 4 responses.. posting all. :)

1. You are the thinks-too-much type. Such agony is your karma. :) If you lived in India, seeing little children run to your car window at traffic light, would make you depressed. You would feel horrible about your own kid eating something or playing with phone in car while that child outside is begging. You'd think whether you should give something, or is that encouraging adults to use children as beggars... light would turn green...

2. To some it'll seem like what you are going through is silly and you should shake it off. You can't.

3. You need a bigger problem. :)

4. Cut down on the frequency of calls and communication with sister. There are many marriages that go on like that for years. Rest assured there is enough happiness to keep her going. Just a happy healthy child and a sometimes-attentive husband is good enough. Yes, people might jump and say 'abuse is never acceptable; it is setting a bad example for children; she should walk out;' That is that, and then there is reality.
    Let her be. Stop trying too much to fix things for her. Always let her know you are there to listen. Just don't listen everyday...

Personally, when such guilt strikes me, I think of the times I have to myself clean the toilets, do the dishes, and iron clothes.. and feel sorry enough for myself. :coffee Away goes the guilt. :)

4 people like this.
  6. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Your sister is an adult and responsible for her decisions. As much as you want to help her, this is the best help you can give. Stay away from her married life and only give a lending ear. The position where she is, she will not like/take your advice plus if she gets divorced based on your judgement, she may start blaming you for her loneliness. Whatever it is, she will deal with it. Let her be. Just be a good friend instead of rubbing her the wrong way.

5 people like this.
  7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP
    Sometimes people are in situations not because of something they did or didnt do. If only all things are a direct consequence of our actions..life would be very simple... no?
    It is indeed very hard when we see someone we love unhappy..even harder when we are helpless . So many times ..I have wanted to go in and fix things for people I love....Oh how I have wished....only to be reminded of my own human limitations.
    Let her know u are there...do not judge her or her marriage...or her decisions ..what could have been done.... should have been said. Sometimes a few words of comfort is all a sibling needs.

Do not beat urself up over what u thought was the best advice u could give then. If u have access to a counselor it would be good to talk .Atleast a few sessions.

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,

It is obvious to feel bad or guilt when our dear ones struggle while we are at peace and comfortable compared to them. There is no choice other than extending some helps to make their life easy as much as you can. Not necessarily financial helps, but some emotional support or physical support... whatever possible in your case.
    Also, better not to share your happiness and comfort with the ones who are yearning to have them, but unfortunately never blessed with. Better such details are not shared unless it is very important.

Now coming to your sister's issue... Treat her as an independent adult.. more importantly a married woman with a child. Always give her some times to listen to her problems, pray for her.. and let her know that you care for her life and ready to support should she requires at any time. That should be enough.

Do not force her to do anything. Because her problem, personality and situation may be different from yours. So, let her decide.

When I had marital problems, I just speak out all the issues I faced to my mom and sissy without realizing how it would have hurt them then. But venting really helped me then to move on with life.
    So, the next day I would be fine by forgiving or forgetting my spouse after the venting, but they will still be worried about me and hold the grudge against my husband for doing this to me. Sometimes, my detailing style of the issue may be way too much speculation than what happened in real.
    Can't help, because a problematic heart needs a place at least to vent.

Later, I found IL to vent; thus my folks slowly got out of my daily dramatic life issues. This helped a lot as they felt happy about the improvement; thus stopped judging me or guiding me against my will.
    Although my life has not changed much, I was still able to handle it perfectly. This confidence later helped me to stand up for myself; thus eventually change the life for better. Now I am happy.

Just because your sister vents and says some really bad stuff about her H, doesn't mean her life is that bad. Perhaps it is really not good as yours, but she still can cope it. That is why she is still living it.
    Her venting helps her. But don't get them to your heart.

Just be a supportive counselor. Perhaps you can direct her to IL

9. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

OP you are aware of only one side of story.

10. pinknblue

pinknblue New IL'ite

thanks to each one of you to take out time and help me with suggestions.

I will be honest. It will be almost impossible for me to cut down on our amount of conversations. Sorry but I cant disappear from her life when so much is going on. And trust me, while I agree I only know one side of the story, my sister isnt the one to feed me with sad stories every day. She feels the need to vent out only every few months when she cant hold it up inside her anymore. So no, there's no drama involved here. Rihana i find it hard to find any humor in this. I will give you credit that it helps to lighten the situation but am getting tired of dealing with one thing after the other, not just with her but other closed ones. Been there, done that..nothing good comes out of it. Know that it doesnt help to worry either but finding it hard not to!!

However I will try and follow what many of you mentioned. Be there for them and lend them a listening ear and help them in any way I can. I agree with what peartree said, the entire family is happy when i share my big n small joys with them. Thank god atleast there's no jealousy involved here!

A big hug to you guys!! reading new suggestions will help and most importantly its reassuring to hear few things you already know from others who have been there n done that!!

Thanks a ton!

2 people like this.