1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cat, whatsapp, and family strife

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Rihana, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My friend's much beloved cat got into a fight with some animal in the neighborhood, and came home with a badly injured ear. It needed serious medical attention, and multiple visits to the vet, and some sort of contraption around the ear to prevent Tabby from scratching his bandaged ear.

My friend spent a few hundred dollars, and took off 2 days too from work too. So far so good. Then:

She went and posted about it on whatsapp. Big mistake.

Her folks in India, commented on whatsapp and over phone that the money could have been better used - for example, X needed help with college admission, Y needed to get air-conditioner installed in one more room, Z has been without a job for n months.

Cats are supposed to star in funny videos that go viral. Here, cat has created trouble and hurt feelings across oceans. What do you think ?

Her money, her cat, her wish, no ?

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Cats get no sympathy in India.....very few keep them as pets.
    As for the needy .....shakehead

3 people like this.
  3. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Definitely her money, her cat. its her bond with her cat. People sometimes dont even respect peoples emotion then how to expect towards an animal!! Very sad!

4 people like this.
  4. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana:

For some people, pets are like children. (Is that why this post is in parents and siblings forum?). Others fail to see it. The whatsapp comments could be because of triggers from feelings like, even a cat got treated with a few hundred dollars, when xyz who is human (human trumps cat?! :hide:)is suffering for something very essential. Very few see that she treated a cat the same way a human should have been treated with care if he/she was injured.

Yeah it is her wish, but if she shares/publicizes it, she will hear all kinds of responses.

5. Rihana

Agree. posting on whatsapp/FB about such things will get response of all kinds. That is one reason that other than really huge milestone or event, I don't share life's nitty-gritty often.

1 person likes this.
  6. CoolPie

CoolPie Silver IL'ite

Yes, its her cat. It shows that she loves her pet. Ask her not to care about what people talked on whatsapp... The cat is really lucky to have a wonderful owner. Its kind of her to show sympathy on a small animal that cannot talk about its feelings.

and in future, ask her to be careful in posting anything on whatsapp. We know its one more kind of facebook. Always be careful in what you post even though we have friends/relatives on those applications. It might pat you or bang you hard....,

Its for some of these reasons that I hate these applications.

1 person likes this.
  7. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Not wise of her to display her financial affortability to everyone.Now she is going to have the unpleasant job of rejecting claims to her income for sometime."Money grows on trees in every foreign land except india where you need to earn" concept is more wide spread in indian minds than we like to believe.And people always love to come up with good uses for the money we earn discounting all our spendings as unnecessary.
    (as a cat lover my POV could be little harsh:evil:)

sindmani and Rihana like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Her money, her cat, her life.
    All those complaining about how the cash can be better used should literally put their money where their mouth is. Or go pound sand.
    I have two huge dogs who are our fur-kids. Since the vet bills in part depend on the size of the animals, even the annual well-visit for them is $$$$. One of my dogs has special needs, so that is an even bigger expense. We have never begrudged a cent of what we spend on them. The joy we get in return is priceless.
    That said, I don't expect others to understand the bond we have with our pets. My family and my husband's family gets it. Many others don't so we never talk about costs in public.

3 people like this.
  9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Her cat, her money and her whatsapp.... She did the right thing as per her choice.
    But which whatsapp group she posted this story is the problem.

Your expenses to beauty parlor, cats, dogs or even for any of your social activities shouldn't be discussed with your needy/greedy family members, specially with in laws. Specifically a big NO for the amount spent. Because, these people will convert that amount in rupees, and compare them with their demands (that may be already turned downed by you). So, they will naturally get irritated, compete with the poor cat and what not. Why invite problems?

She could have posted the same pics in her other whatsapp group, where her colleagues or friends participate.
    Or else, only the pics, not the amount spent on that cat.

6 people like this.
  10. Rihana

SGBV, all,

It is true that mentioning how much was spent, even if as an aside, is not the smartest move in a group that has relatives.

But, generally speaking, comments on spending cannot be avoided. Whether it is the rich parent who throws a lavish wedding, the young couple that goes on an expensive vacation, the child who goes to an exclusive summer camp, the teen who joins a frivolous course in a pricey private college, the health-conscious who buy all grocery from costly organic store, the CEO who spends a fortune on trip to the moon, the Rihana who wastes money on coffee at Starbucks too often. :)

All of these can invite comment, and people will always have ideas of how the money could/should have been spent. The commenters think that since they are suggesting a 'nobler' expense, their comment is justified.

A thicker skin, in one ear out the other, and some discretion in sharing financial details is called for.

1 person likes this.