1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

No support from my own family

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by oohlala, Dec 9, 2014.

1. oohlala

oohlala Senior IL'ite

I have always been close to my parents and thought they would be there for me at all times. Now I do not believe this. I had my first baby earlier this year and I had read many books to prepare for it. But what ended up happening, I never expected. When my baby was born, I received calls, texts, Facebook messages from many people, except my own sister. I was very hurt and upset and told this to my mother, who yelled at me in the hospital 3 days after my c section. My parents defended my sister's actions and make excuses and said I am making big deal to expect this. I could not believe it.
    My sister never visited me in hospital nor did she visit when we invited her (and did not have courtesy to tell us she is not coming). Then, one day my parents went to pick her up and bring her to my home but they told me that they were just going out. Then they called me and said she is with them and they are coming to my place. I was very upset. They hid it from me and told me they were just going out to stores. We also had gone out with baby but when they called us, we took our time to come home since we were upset that we had been lied to. My dad was furious waiting outside our house for us, so we decided me and baby would wait in car while he calmed down since we did not want him to yell in front of 1 week old baby. While I was in car, my dh had gone into our home and my mom started bringing up small issues from years ago she was upset about like how she cooked us dinner once and we had gone out to eat. My dad raised his voice and then my dh also raised his voice at my dad, and that is when the showdown started. My mom said a lot of bad things to my dh, and my sis added to it. There was a lot of shouting. My dh apologized for raising his voice, but they did not care.
    My parents feel they do not need to tell us what they want to do and they deny they hid this from me. They feel that I still have to follow their rules in my own home. I feel like they should tell me who they bring to my house, especially since I was upset that my own sister never acknowledged birth of my baby. They also accused me of keeping baby away from my sister since I stayed in car with baby. I did not do that. I was just keeping baby way from any fighting.
    I ended up going in with my baby and I begged my mom not to leave me because I needed help. She did not care and they all left my home. I could not believe all this was happening. The birth of my child was ruined by own family. They did not even care that I just had surgery and they yelled at me.
    My mom ended up coming back the next day in a grouchy mood and only stayed for 1 week after. I had thought my mom would help me for months.
    My baby is going to be 1 year in a couple months but I am unable to move past this. My sister has still not seen my baby. I have invited her a couple times to see my baby, but she has made excuses. My relationship with my parents is ruined. They were not there in my time of need. My mom even tells me next kid I have, she will help me with delivery if I behave or else she will leave my place. Please advise me how to move past this. Every time I see other people's parents helping with grandkids, I get very jealous. I feel why I do not have this.

1 person likes this.

2. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

why is your sister angry ? what happened between you two? .. forget abt the issues, try to patch things up after all we have only 1 mother father and sister.....

sindmani likes this.
  3. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

do you need this same drama playing out again?

1 person likes this.
  4. oohlala

oohlala Senior IL'ite

Exactly! I am not going to have her come next time I have kid. I will get a nanny.

1 person likes this.
  5. oohlala

oohlala Senior IL'ite

My sister and I have never been close but I do not understand why she did this to me. I have always been happy for her accomplishments. But this is birth of baby and she did not care.

1 person likes this.
  6. coolwinds

problem solved. good!

7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I think you all need to get together and have a huge group hug and just start all over.Everyone say sorry to one another and kiss and make up.

For your next baby....Plan ahead. If your mom is coming to help for 2 weeks...it is enough. You and your husband plan ahead and you can manage yourself. If your relationship with in laws is good...call them .

As for sister.....you can't force her to come.Let it be. You keep your door open.

sindmani likes this.
  8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

You have your own family now, your child and your husband. Something went wrong with your childhood family members. Maybe if things calm down after a while you can start to rebuild the relationships. Usually no need to get mother or nanny for delivery as pregnancy/delivery is not a sickness. Sometimes you can have health issues but usually not.

2 people like this.
  9. oohlala

oohlala Senior IL'ite

I wish it was that simple yellow mango. My parents do not ever feel they are at fault. I want them to accept they hurt me so that nothing like this happens again. They always favor my sister over me.

1 person likes this.
  10. coolwinds

one of my friends delivered last month via cesarean and she was discharged on the 3rd day post birth, how long were you there?