1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by scorpio77, Oct 17, 2014.

1. scorpio77

scorpio77 New IL'ite

I always think there is some truth behind this saying, "Veetai Katti Paar, Kalyanam Panni Paar". I am so much in pain when someone dear to me has turned no one to me. Please take some time to read.

we were once a family with 4 close knit members. My parents, me and my brother. We belonged to a middle class family with my father being the only bread winner. Inspite of all hardships, my parents managed to give us the right education. Today I am in a good position and my brother is also doing well with a job in US.

Initially, my brother used to financially support the family after my dad's retirement, by that time I had got married. In fact, in a land already purchased by my dad in our native place where they moved after retirement, my brother helped financially to build a house. During that time, he was working abroad. After education and within a couple of years, we could see a lot of change in him. He would nt talk much and always doing calculations on how much he spent on parents and pick up fights. He used to hold grudge against my mother for having scolded him during his childhood for not waking up early, not studying and similar such things. I should say, things were not smooth between my mother and brother. But still, after leaving home, he would call every other day and talk normally.

We started looking for marriage alliance. When asked for his choice, he placed few conditions like he wanted a job-going girl in a particular field with so-and-so years of experience, blah ,blah. In our community with a growing demand of brides, we couldnt find one of his choice. If we like a girl, then he wouldnt. So it took us some time to finally find one. During this time also, he used to pick up fights due to the delay. Meanwhile, he had moved to Chennai.
    This bride, we got through a marriage broker. Even before a formal bride seeing, my brother and the girl had met and exchanged their thoughts. Then he had taken my parents for the bride seeing only for eye wash. All this time I was living abroad. My parents had consulted for a horoscope match and were not satisfied with the match results. Also she was in her late 20's and so my parents were little reluctant to go ahead with the proposal. But my brother was adamant to continue with this. So we had no other option but to say ok. Within few days, the girl had got a short term onsite project in US. My brother had been meeting her, spent both time and money on her. She then went ahead for the project. They had been in constant touch. There have been misunderstandings between them which I had never knew. One fine day, the girl called me up and said that she wants to call off the engagement to be held. When I enquired my brother, he gave me some reason which I believed and convinced her. From engagement to marriage, a gap of three to four months, they had some reasons to fight but were not revealed to me or my parents.[Reasons we came to know only later] The girl had already been in an affair and had been seeing him till marriage. My brother not happy with this but later convinced by one of her relatives whom she calls brother/ uncle. The girls parents and relatives had forced her to break the tie, it seems.

After marriage, within 4 days, she showed us her true colours. She had already picked up fights with my parents who were along with them only 10 days. After my parents left the place, she never bothered about cooking. kept pressing her husband to pick up and drop her at her workplace, both their offices are in opposite directions. She insisted on going to restaurants, shopping, etc but would never share her salary. With her waking up late and my brother being late to office after doing dropping her, tensions started mounting and both of them have had misunderstandings. And in 40 days after marriage, she went to her parents place. My brother had not revealed anything about this to us, saying we would feel bad, thats why. After reaching her place, she had gone to my in-laws and relative's place and complained about us, had made stories to make a big issue. Only through our relatives and upon enquiring my brother, we got to know what was going on.My parents had tried to settle down the issue but the girl and her mother had been arrogant and insulted my parents infront of my relatives. [things they demanded- Sister and parents should not visit her husband. the jewels worn by mil belongs to her and what not]. There were no signs of them to compromise, so we left the matter for sometime. Though she continued her job in the same place where my brother was, she never bothered to unite. Meanwhile, the girl had been to his office and badmouthed about him, e-mailed to her relatives about whatever happened or not happened and cooked up stories to make it believe. This went on for almost 4 months amd my brother on receiving a onsite opportunity chose to move over. He went leaving all these problems to us. After he went, people from her side started visiting my parents, talk over but since we were so much hurt with their comments and arrogant behaviour my parents didnt show much interest in talks. Those people took extra steps like sending two people and threatening to file case on us,(Me and my parents live in different place) interpreting and sending message differently to my brother. because of all these problems, my marriage was also in trouble.We had lot of stress and literally gone into depression. we wanted him to come back. He came after two years with divorce in mind.(in these two years of seperation, he has stayed in touch with her over phone, everytime she used to command him, taunting him). He had prepared a document of whatever happened in his marriage, this document was to be produced to the advocate. He asked me to read the document and thats how I came to know about all the problems.He sent a divorce notice. Only then she came to meet him and started saying sorry. During that time, me and my husband were also there. My husband advised and wanted them to unite. That was the time I saw her last. It was in October 2012.Whenever I used to call her, she would say I am little busy now, will call u later, but never did. Till March 2013, my brother stayed in Chennai alongwith her. Gradually, he stopped talking to me and my parents. He had hardly visited my parents in madurai during his stay. Later he flew to US alone, as his wife 's visa was not ready. She took her own time since she was always in a dilemma whether or not to quit her job. After reaching US, my brother would have spoken to us for 8 or 9 times only. Even my brother never bothered to let us know when she joined him. I came to know about them through a FB friend. He is behaving like he is noone to us. He gave us so much pain and now giving us the impression that we are the cause of all his problems. Earlier he was speaking to us once in a month, nowadays it is once in 3 months. Got to know through someone that she is pregnant now. He is least bothered to let us know. I only get a feeling that for the sake of his dear wife, he can go to any extent. Perhaps, he should have done this before giving us any headache.

I do not know how I should be reacting to him, the next time he calls me. I am now worried about my parents.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Your bros wife is pressuring him,not to talk with u and ur parents, it seems. Does ever she talks on the phone with u guys. They may not take care of your parents.

Looks like ur sil wants property, asking about ur moms jewels etc shows that.

tell ur bro, when he calls next time, ur parents worried as he is not calling them, see how he reacts, tell him to visit ur parents.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Sorry to hear this S7.

For many relationship is like main food and for many others it is just a pickle/side dish.

It is evident that your brother has to take the blame most because even before the girl came in to his life, he had shown his colors. He lacked a stable mind in first place. Now adding to that he did get a girl of his similar nature. One who intends trouble would also be subject to trouble.

Now that you and parents have done what best for their best has been done already. Knowing the circumstances and their nature, now it is best to isolate this relationship in your minds, so as to not that keep disturbing your peace at home.

Casual/Social acquaintance is what is to be maintained in order not to face another similar situation. Wish him good and see to that your life is also good.

Not to keep feeling for lost relationship and increase stress, leave it aside - do not prick him if at all he calls. Keep the limits and don't have any arguments about this with him.

3 people like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

This is what I could sense from your long post:-

Your brother is not stable. He has a sound problem, but I am not a therapist to diagnose it.
    He already fought with his parents
    Was very calculative about the money he spend on them
    Was fighting over this matter with your parents
    Was remembering even a tiniest matter and would fight about it with his own old mom

Everything happened before his marriage. Before the arrival of this new woman into his life. This shows this is how he was since the beginning.

Again he looked a girl.. Never bothered to inform his parents about the updates, never bothered about their concerns regarding his marriage, and only treated them as parents for the purpose of eye wash.

Now that he is married. He had problems with his wife. Whatever it may be, he tried to use his parents and you to solve his problems. Perhaps he expected some moral support from you all.

That's it... Now he is again happy in his marriage life with his partner. He went to his usual habit, that is to ignore all of you from his life. This is his usual habit. Just for the sake of selfishness he involved you all into his problems.

Anyhow a new bride like your SIL (not all) would try their best to separate their H from his family. Since there was a history of family problems, this would have been the best choice from her side.

Your brother already preferred his life this way... Far from you, and not so connected. Therefore both matched, and lead a normal happy life. Let them be...

Yes, it is sad... But what to do? Not all the fingers are the same. Blame the destiny for this, and count on your other blessings in life and move on. If possible extend some emotional and financial support to your parents.

5 people like this.
  5. scorpio77

scorpio77 New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply. I have already told him n number of times, even if he doesnt want to speak with me, its ok but not to do the same with parents, but of no use. Thats the cause of worry.

6. scorpio77

scorpio77 New IL'ite

GoogleGlass, I have lately understood my brother. I never thought he could be so selfish. The only thing is, she and her mother put us in bad image infront of everyone and now being happy without any concern. Though it is pain, I am slowly trying to disconnect from him. I am trying to convince my parents also, but there is pain that can never be healed.

SGBV,

I also feel the same. I even told him that he got what he wanted through his wife. He only says he wanted to forget the past and live on. Thats good but does that mean to forget everyone other than his wife. Regarding my parents, I talk to them, understand their feelings. But nothing else could I do about this strained relationship with him.

7. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Human nature it is S7 - we do know, there are instincts always about each relationship. When times are good we ignore those flashes. When times are bad we realize those on postmortem. This is what happened to you now.

World is such - never to be shocked, you never know what bigger shock would spring up. But on those lines can we be negative??? No not at all. Having known shocks are imminent, keeping the mind relaxed would give the energy to face that and still keep smiling. Past is past and burying in that, you would skip all the goods the present & future fast.

Try pleasing yourself and not worry about show casing that to the society - either it is overly concerned or not at all concerned.

1 person likes this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I will try to play the devil's advocate here.Just trying to see things from his point of view.

Looks like your brother did try to fulfill his duties as a son initially.....and probably stopped before he was married.So can't blame his wife here.

Is it possible that he found the expectations of your parents too high? Indian parents do tend to treat their son as a live long ATM.The contrast is even more evident when the other child is a daughter and he is expected to take on the responsibility of the family without caring about his personal life or future.

Seems like his relations with the mother were always strained.Relationship of parents tend to vary between children.While you may have had a good relationship with your mother....you may find it difficult to understand why he had a strained relationship.Indian parents tend to have a very high expectations from sons. The sons have to bear the brunt of these high expectations and the constant disappointment that they see in the eyes of the parents.Not saying this is the case....but this could be the case where he saw your parents being too strict and too smothering with their expectations.

When he was with them.....he had no choice but to be the good Indian boy.Once he moved away....he chose to distance himself....emotionally and financially.

What is wrong with grown up adults in their late twenties meeting up before the bride seeing. After all it is his marriage and him being sure is more important than your parents.

Since your parents were not happy ...it is natural for the girl to be vary of them.

There seems to be a one sided information about the relationship between her and her inlaws(including you).You people seem to have spent almost no time together (what I gather from your post)....still managed to have such strained relationship.Is it possible that your brother was also responsible for her not being close to you people.If your brother has grudges...it is more likely he influenced her rather than her influencing him.

There is a lot of information that seems to be missing. Why would he suddenly stop talking or interacting .How can a woman he was about to divorce have so much influence on him? Did the fights between them have something to do with your parents or you.Did she fight citing you as a problem.If not...then this does not make sense.

I think this has more to do with your brother and his equation with your parents while he was growing up. About their expectations from him and his will to have a life away from it all.

If he is happy with his wife ....then try to give them their space.Be happy for them. As time passes and as he finds happiness in life...he may want to rekindle the relationship.Maybe once he becomes a father....he may understand his own parents better.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    3 people like this.
  9. scorpio77

scorpio77 New IL'ite

To Yellowmango

"Looks like your brother did try to fulfill his duties as a son initially.....and probably stopped before he was married.So can't blame his wife here."

This post is in anyway not to blame his wife alone.

Yes, he did all he could, the best. In fact, he was the one who convinced my mom to go ahead with house construction in city Y after having moved from city X. My mom had lived in city X for almost 30 years and she was not fascinated with city Y. But still with my father's savings and his support, the house got completed. But it all started later, he had started calculating. But at any point in time, my mom never expected him to give more than he could. He always deposited in bulk and parents would take only a fixed amount every month. Even, if I enquire she would say for two of us not much expense.So theres no money issue. Theres some savings done by my father and few properties too.

"When he was with them.....he had no choice but to be the good Indian boy.Once he moved away....he chose to distance himself....emotionally and financially."

He was anyway not with them. After college, he had got a job in a different city and from that time, nearly 13 years, he is away only. For one year, he was in India and the rest in abroad only. And not once, he has taken my parents to the place he lived. But still, he used to be nice over phone.

"What is wrong with grown up adults in their late twenties meeting up before the bride seeing. After all it is his marriage and him being sure is more important than your parents."

I do not see anything wrong in meeting up. During their first meeting only, he had known about her broken affair with some X which he didnt mind but later was causing problems between them even before engagement. (Comparing my brother with X, calling him with the name of X forgetfully) He would say to call off the marriage arrangements without being open or giving proper reasoning. I being unaware of all thses, would advise him to be polite, make adjustments as it is quite common with two people in a new relation.

Since your parents were not happy ...it is natural for the girl to be vary of them.

Since they could sense some tension between the two as was said in the horoscope, they were not happy.

There is a lot of information that seems to be missing. Why would he suddenly stop talking or interacting .How can a woman he was about to divorce have so much influence on him? Did the fights between them have something to do with your parents or you.Did she fight citing you as a problem.If not...then this does not make sense.

From the period of bride seeing till marriage, I was living abroad for almost 3 years then. I had applied for PR and was waiting for the results. Only then she had got the online opportunity and my brother arranged for her to meet me as I was not sure whether I would be available for marriage. She kept asking about my plans but I being unsure told her my situation. That time, we were facing a bad time. Later, I found there were issues regarding this also. Even in my absence, she wanted to go ahead with marriage. My brother wanted to wait for me. They had misunderstandings. To my bad luck, I was rejected PR and had to return to India for good, then the marriage date was also fixed. I came 20 days before marriage and was with her only 6 days after marriage,of which 3 days they were on honeymoon, two days to her parents' place, one day to office. I have hardly spent time with her. Just a night before I left for my place, my brother took my kids to his room. This was cited as "Sister and kids are causing trouble to her married life". This I came to know from my MIL, who in turn was advising me you are so and so's dil and you shouldnt be doing this. My parents have spent very less time 10 days. When my mom has never asked about her job/salary, she had told my mil that my mom asked her to deposit her salary in my mom's account.

If he is happy with his wife ....then try to give them their space.Be happy for them. As time passes and as he finds happiness in life...he may want to rekindle the relationship.Maybe once he becomes a father....he may understand his own parents better.[/QUOTE]

I too want to forget the past, whatever she has done but cannot tolerate him totally neglecting us. We do not expect anything from her. They had their own set of problems and it was their responsibility to resolve them, but instead putting everything in public, and us in answerable positions, giving all sorts of tensions and now comfortably living far away without any concern, is what bothering.

"he may want to rekindle the relationship.Maybe once he becomes a father....he may understand his own parents better."

this is what I am hoping for.

But I and my parents feel so much hurt and in no mood to talk to him even if he calls. I do not know how things going to take turns.

I just do not want anyone to be in a similar situation.

10. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

It's very sad. It's so hard forget and let go your own flesh and blood. I can feel your parents pain and yours too while being away you have your family to look after and in a situation like this your parents state of mind must be stressing you a lot. I guess there is not much you and your parents can do here but to hope that he comes to his senses soon. I would say let nature take it's course. Pray for your and your parents peace of mind. Always try to be there for your parents. Meet them often. Call them often. Look after them in every possible way you can. May god give you enough energy and strength to deal with this. I really hope things work out for all of you.

1 person likes this.