1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do you become emotionally independent when there is so much craving in life?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Rapzee, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Rapzee

Rapzee Senior IL'ite

How do you become emotionally independent when there is so much craving for affection, love and perhaps even attention?

I am an only child before I was born my mom had at least 2 miscarriages that I have overheard of. From the day I can remember I was living with different relatives rather than my own parents. I think I lived my parents between the ages of 1-2 then it was my moms sister-in-law for one year. Then it was my moms cousin for 7 years because my parents lived in a part of the country where education system was not all that good. So I ended up living with my divorced aunt. Throughout all this I never really got to know my parents vice versa. Than all the sudden first decade of my life ends.

My parents and I move to America. This is when I first started living with them although we lived with some relatives. At this point to make true of the "American dream" my parents started working their butt off. I rarely saw them. And when I did they were busy. Three years later we got our own apartment. And things got out of hands even more than they previously were. Now they were on their own so they really had to have it together. Being in my early teens I was in the apartment by myself for most of the day after coming from school. And when they were there it was always arguments and disagreements. I barely even had any friends in school. The ones I did have didn't know anything about my life. So going through the early teenage/mid teens phase I was lonelier than ever. At this point I had somewhat of a view on life. And started craving for my parents. Needless to say they were not there. My parents didn't make the big bucks they were working labor jobs. But they made a decent living.

I wouldn't be lying if I said I got basically everything I wanted sooner or later. But the one thing I needed, till this day I don't have. By the age of 14 I started I had a job of my own. Being a student in high school I didn't make the big bucks and the money I did make I spent it on other people. And life just kind of started taking turn for the worse I started becoming really depressed at times I even ended up in the hospital for suicide threats and plans. And this was when I really needed at least one of my parents the most and again they were not there.

Life went on like that until I graduated high school. The day of my high school graduation they were not present at my graduation. I had to pay an underclassman money to come and take pictures for me so I would have a memory.

As I started my early 20s I became independent in all ways possible despite of living with my parents. But there is still one thing missing a mothers friendship, affection and love. Sometimes I wish there was one person who I could share just about anything I wanted to and know that I won't be judged. If I had to I can recall almost all instances where I woke up in the middle of the night crying because I had a "dream" about hugging a mother figure saying "Maa I love you, thank you for everything you do". I have a feeling this will not go away until I have somewhat of a motherly figure in my life whether it be a mother-in-law or whoever and if not at least until I have a child of my own.

Despite of being alone in every which way possible I have been extremely confident about everything I do. I like to be independent in all areas of my life. Well this is the one area where there is lack of confidence, independence, and even a regret. So how do I go about fulfilling a basic need when there are barely any options in front of me?

On a positive note one thing I would like to say is I hope that the take away message here is not that my mother is no good. She seems to be pretty good with her cooking. She does basically all the chores in the house, though I do like to help out but occasionally. And even finances it has never been like even though I have a part time job I have to contribute in the house. I guess that's because I pay for my own college.

2. Rapzee

Rapzee Senior IL'ite

Seems like I just made a fool out of myself

3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    Make friends in your college. do you have cousins in your age group that you can talk to? Never say never. Try to connect with your parents as a friend now. It is still not too late. You may be able to learn the reasons why it all happened this way and therefore understand. With understanding the craving will reduce.

1 person likes this.
  4. Marun

Marun Platinum IL'ite

There is nothing that could do mate about it. Just involve yourself in some hobbies. Join a group who play sports. You'll feel free. Just don't give any space for free time. Keep yourself occupied!

hobbies are the best way. MY own experience¬

5. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,

Maybe there is nothing there. Craving comes if you think there is something and it being withheld for some reason. What if there is nothing there?

From what you write, you led a very lonely life but it was not due to neglect. You were alone because your parents were working their asses off for you. They were not partying. For them whatever they did was their way of showing their love for you. Your mom cooked full meals in spite of working shifts. Think how tired she must have been but she did it for you. That is love. It is not always like it is in Zee TV and Sharukh khan movies you know?

For many south Asians food is a way to express love. Havent you gone to aunties houses and they will exclaim I will cook this, that, you try this etc etc? That is how our culture expresses love. Talk to your parents about the life they led when you were young. When you understand the extent of their work and sacrifices you will understand them better. Then you will be able to forgive them.

Look at it this way: you are an adult now, raised by their hard work. There was no abuse or neglect in your childhood, just parents who worked hard for you. And whatever it was, now it is behind you. Now take this gift which is your life, which they have given you and create a family of your own and good friends who will give the emotional closeness that you desire.

1 person likes this.
  6. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,
    I hear you and I understand you. You will be married soon, you will have children and you will be around warmth and happiness. Maybe if you pick the right person, your spouse might give you the warmth you crave for.

But I think you are much better off than most people, you need to realize that. Think of a person who is opposite to you. Who was showered love and affection from childhood, to the extent that this person never grew up. Had all the decisions in life already taken for them. Then one day as an adult they are thrown into a life of their own. They don't know how to make the mistakes and learn from it. They don't know how to be there for themselves and be independent. A lot of the problems you see in this forum and outside stem from that.

But look at you. You are independent, you have been there and you can make things happen for yourself. Sure, you have missed some as a child, and you will feel that you missed something big. But you will be much more stronger and successful as an adult, due to your experiences.

Give yourself a pat on the back, there is no holding you back.

1 person likes this.
  7. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

I find it strange that your mother dont have even time to hug you once a day.Is she just busy or she is just not affectionate at all?
    There is nothing which can replace moms love.No matter how much affection you can get from your friends and sisters mother is mother.Mothers love is one of the most important emotional need.

8. Rapzee

Rapzee Senior IL'ite

I barely have to go on campus for my degree. All the cousins in our family have distanced themselves from each other. As far as my parents goes the problem is now I can kinda like understand their perspective but still that is not the justification for my childhood/teenage years being lost. It was not necessary for me to have to grow up before my time but I had to. And they are very much responsible for that aspect of it.
    I cannot afford to go out and play sports. All the Indians in the community seemed extremely reserved and I am a total desi girl so I would never be able to relate fully with a non desi.

I am not denying they were working their butts off for me. But to say it was done for me is not right considering I have been practically independent since the age of 14. Yes I am an adult and I absolutely love being as independent as I am but there is still a part of my that wishes that my parents had done their sharing of raising me instead me having to do it. And obviously on here I have only summarized the whole situation but when I was in school my school counselors did classify somethings as neglect. Obviously they were professionals and granted it that professionals can mistakes too but these guess knew the details of my life.
    You may not believe me but I actually often think about how spoiled and bratty I would have ended up had I not had to care for myself. So when that aspect is considered I suppose whatever happened, happened for good.

You are more than welcome to believe me if you want. But I actually have seen my mom hug others but when it comes to this child of hers, the distance she keeps is just heartbreaking. I agree there is nothing that replace a mom but I suppose someday I will have a mother in law who will be the closest to replacing it.t And if not well I have at least learned what kind of mom I need to be.

9. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

OPs post is a reminder to all moms to be there emotionally for your child as otherwise no matter how much you do for them, the emotional scars are permanent.
    OP learn a lesson from this you never ever repeat this mistake.
    A moms hug is a moms hug and there is just no replacing it. You will get different types of love but the craving for a moms love and approval is always there. Sorry if I sound too blunt but I too had some issues with my mom and though today I have everything , love from my near and dear ones I still miss the unconditional love and affection of my mom.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  10. Rapzee

Rapzee Senior IL'ite

To be honest with you my friend this scar will be reminder when I have children of my own as to what their exceptions will be out of me. And you didn't sound blunt at all. Ideally let's say I did find you blunt neither you nor I can deny the fact that once a person is scarred there is no going back.