1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A dad’s speech at his daughter’s wedding

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Angellic, May 3, 2014.

1. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

A DAD’S SPEECH AT HIS DAUGHTER’S WEDDING

I thought I would start my speech by addressing you as the “new” family of my daughter. But I think it would be inappropriate because now that she is married, you are “the family” for her. Believe me; I don’t have a problem with that. I, in fact, want my daughter to have “you” as her priority now. Its time for us to take a backseat in her life. We would happily accept it but would surely request one thing-
    please keep her happy!

I am more than sure that you will keep her very happy. She will perhaps be happier than what she used to be here. But like all fathers, I obsess over my daughter’s happiness which is making me say this over and over again- please keep her happy!

She never was and will never be a burden for me. She is in fact the reason why I breathe and smile. I am getting her married because this is what the law of nature demands. I am helpless in the face of our culture and therefore sending her to your home. She was the happiness of my home and will now light up your home. I am giving my world to you. Please make sure it remains beautiful. I am giving away my princess to you. Please make sure she stays as a queen. I have raised her with my sweat and blood and now she is wonderfully perfect. For all the care, love, beauty and warmth my daughter will bring into your lives, I just want her happiness in return—please keep her happy!

If at times you think that my daughter has said or done something wrong, feel free to scold her. But handle her with love. She is very fragile. If at times she feels low, be with her. She just needs a little bit of your attention. If at times she feels sick, show her some care. It’s the medicine that works best for her. If at times she fails to fulfill a responsibility, feel free to chastise her. But empathize with her. She is still learning. Do understand her—
    please keep her happy!

I don’t mind if I don’t get to see her for months. I don’t mind if I am not able to talk to her on a daily basis. I would be more than happy if she doesn’t remember me much. But, my only motive in life has been my daughter’s happiness which is now in your hands. I beg you,
    please keep her happy.

Dear son-in-law, these words may not mean much to you now but if you are lucky enough to father a daughter someday, you will appreciate them better when you will find every beat of your heart shouting –
    “please keep her happy”!

As i read this, unknowingly tears welled up in my eyes and an overwhelming feeling of sadness filled my heart. I loved the way the true feelings are put into words...

PS: Read this article in fb. Just felt its a great piece worth sharing...

Dear Moderator: I'm sorry, if i've posted it in a wrong section...

With love,
    Angellic :)

9 people like this.

2. Vijaya@17

Vijaya@17 Silver IL'ite

very emotional and can make any daughter cry, whether their father is alive or they cannot see their physical state once and for all !!

2 people like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I saw this on FB, and wanted to :bonkmy head for each Like thousands of women have put under it.

It is precisely this attitude from girl's parents that creates problems of the kind that women post here in IL.

Such speeches and such dads cause more harm to society than even those who participate in giving dowry.

7 people like this.
  4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Thanks, Rihana. The first time I read this on facebook, the picture that immediately came to my mind was of this helpless old man bowing in front of some mean looking people and handing over a delicate porcelain doll!

2 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

if my dh were to give this speech, my daughter would ask him STOP!!!.

I don't think my daughter would want her dad to bow down, eat humble pie and do all this.

ESpecially these lines
    ??? why should a dad beg a sil to keep his daughter happy.

Even i saw it on fb, and felt bad..

though feels emotional, does not really sit well with me..and i would not want the father of my dil to do this to my son.

6 people like this.
  6. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Thought I was the only one who dint find this FB post appealing. Nice to know I am not alone! :)

2 people like this.
  7. ammulur

ammulur Platinum IL'ite

Few say daughters are attached to their father more than mother....! The same feeling even a daughter goes through.........! She will be princess to her parents but once she is married the total view or her world changes. From her home... the way she thinks... the way she dresses.... her surname... her responsibility gradually adds to it one by one.....! The pampered princesses / girl becomes a "Responsible WOMEN"....!

It is experienced only with speechless words.......!

1 person likes this.
  8. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

I wonder how a post is viewed by different eyes in different angles. My focus was completely on the father’s unconditional love for his daughter and so felt it worth sharing. After reading the fbs, I could see it in a different way…Maybe you ppl found it unappealing because you were seeing it in terms of the relationship between a gal’s father and a son in law…Well, I donno, but maybe I would have done the same if I’m a married woman...
    Those thousands of likes were for the unconditional love between a father and a daughter...

I see your point but I don’t share your opinion. I think, dads like him are one in million and does no harm but infact show the society how a gal child should be treated. And because of dad like him, a gal can still stick to her belief that "NOT ALL MEN ARE BAD"

Its because of dad like him, a gal can know her worth, that how precious and priceless she is…

Its because of dad like him, existence of unconditional love is felt and the person who felt that unconditional love had an unconditional loving perspective towards everything, that’s my opinion…

9. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Angellic,

I find the whole premise of that speech a little false. I would hate for my daughter to feel as if all her happiness is contingent upon one man being able to keep her happy, or that I am marrying her off because society demands that of me.

If I thought my daughter would be happier just not marrying at all, I would totally let her be. I would like to think that if I am marrying my daughter, it would be because she wants to be married and marry the person she wants to marry.

And then there's the stuff about scolding her, showing her care, being with her, give her a little attention... what the heck is all this? When I get my daughter married, I would trust that she is a adult getting married to another adult and both of them together would decide on what makes them both happy!

I would want to teach my daughter that her happiness is in her own hands.

6 people like this.
  10. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing Angellic........

I guess even if it is the summer and you hate the sun.............

Still sunsets are just as beautiful........

Q strikes again....... He he he.....

Take Care
    Chow

1 person likes this.