1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help Parents - how?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by jill1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. jill1

jill1 New IL'ite

Hello All,

I wanted your help in something. I am stuck at this situation and not sure how to get out of it.

Here is the background:
    My father is retired and some how lost all his savings, pension, money, etc in a court case that he inherited tragically.
    My parents have just two daughters. Both of us live out of the city they live in.
    My sister and I earn well. She is married but does not like to spend any money on anyone but herself. Fair enough - lets not go there :)

Situation:

When all this started, my parents moved into a house of my ancestors (which they dont own anymore, neither do have any right on it anymore - since the court case). This is an old house which my sister and I do not like.
    We want them to move out of this house to a flat which is owned by my father at an average location of the city.
    My mother always aspired to have a big lavish house, looks like that is not possible as of now. But she is not fond of this new place as:
    - she has been around in the older place for several years, has relatives around and is pretty accustomed with the neighbours.
    - They were having a steady income from renting the place.
    - This new flat is on 3rd floor. No lift. So lots of stairs for her - since she has arthritis now.
    - The flat needs some renovation, since it was rented all this while.

My father is perhaps is getting into the depression due to all the court cases he is going through and is also cut off with his family. My mother is also falling in the same situation because of what she is seeing happening around her everyday for several years now.

My sister and I want them to move to the new place since :
    1. It will be a new environment, so will be a change from the current place,
    2. New neighbours : new friends?
    3. It will be better for their confidence too.
    4. The ancestral place is not livable, we think!
    5. The new place is neat area very close to the best hospital and parks in the city.

Everytime, I and my sister tell them to move to the new place: they say YES it is in progress. BUT they never move. They just throw some excuse and let months roll. I understand that it needs some renovation. But their recent excuse is: the carpenter said he will be free after 2 - 3 months or so. And this has been going on.

I really want them to come out this, but I cant do anything without their own support. And this situation is sucking them more and more.

I would be happy to help them monetarily. Have been doing that now and then. What I could do? I dont live in the country at this point. My sister would not be of much of a help.

Their situation appears to be like, they are losing the battle. I have to help them win it! But I dont know how! :(

With lots of love and wishes,
    Jill1

2. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jill,
    Maybe your parents love the old place they are living in and depend on the rent which they get from the apt in the new place.
    You have also mentioned that the new flat is on 3 rd floor and does not have a lift, it would be very difficult for aged parents to go use stairs at this age. Youngsters don't mind but carrying even shopping bags is a chore when there is no lift.
    Its strange that your father's pension also got lost in the court case, so they must be using the rent for their needs.
    Let your parents stay wherever they wish, don't uproot them just because you consider the house old.
    Help them financially and take care of their medical bills, ask your sister to assisst .
    They can also sell the flat and become financially strong.

3. jill1

jill1 New IL'ite

Thanks flowerlady for the reply! I appreciate it.
    Yes, 3rd floor is a problem regardless, but we were thinking this new place would be bring some positive change and would be closer to hospital and safer perhaps.
    How much a month would you think, would suffice - that I should send?
    I have asked them several times but they are shy I think and I do not have correct idea of the living cost as such.

4. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Hi Jill,
    Maybe your parents are unable to afford the repairs for the flat, why not send some money over for it? 100$=Rs 5000 approx , they can get a higher rent after renovations.
    People who live in houses do not like living in flats as they feel hemmed in.
    Having friends closeby who can chat and help on a daily basis is a boon for your parents maybe that is the reason they don't want to move.
    Have you considered calling them over for a vacation,it can break their monotonous life and bring in some change.
    Its quite expensive here nowadays but Rs 10,000 can cover the basics for a month, no luxuries but ok.
    You can see a thread about this in Senior citizens forum.