1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me - I need my life back

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by lr7, Aug 19, 2012.

1. lr7

lr7 New IL'ite

Hello
    I'm 38 and married with a 14 yr old son.
    My past....I'm the eldest of 2 daughters and my father passed away a year after my son was born. I've passed my MCA with distinction but did not work except for a short stint at teaching before my son was born. My husband is not from my city, but he moved here after we got married and took up a job here. We lived next to my parents' home for a few years...my son was born...and then in the year 2005, my husband got his H1 visa to the USA. I was always very attached to my parental home and was brought up in a very closed and protected atmosphere. One of the few things we were taught to dislike was change of any sort and definitely no moving to any place. Given all these, I made my husband promise me that he would never reside in the usa permanently and my son and I would visit him April/May during school holidays. I stayed with my mom the rest of the time. Faithful to his words, my husband did not apply for a green card and would visit India whenever he could. He returned to India and my city last year after transferring to the regional office of his company.
    In the meantime, my mom always assured me that I could stay in the first floor of her home whenever my husband returned. (My sister is a divorcee and she lives 3 houses away with her 13 yr old daughter).
    I do not know when and exactly how, but I was taking on a very stressful task 3 years ago to resolve the documentation issues of a property that belongs to me, my mom and my sister. There were some legal tangles as the property had been brought as a partnership along with some of my father's colleagues. There is no real dispute on who owns what....the other partners too their share and we have ours, we are peaceful neighbours....it's just that the documents are not perfect. Besides this, I had just one friend I had stayed in touch with since my school days, and a couple of incidents happened where I cut off from her completely. This led to my entire social circle being erased as I had never made an effort to stay connected to my college friends etc and they have all moved away to far off places now.Thanks to the stress of these two events simultaneously, I became very irritable and intolerant of people. Nothing made sense to me if it was not associated with the legal issue I was trying to make sense of. Life became a series of lawyer hunts and visits and I was doing this all alone....my mom and sis told me they are not going to run around.
    Around this time, it was time for my husband to pack his belongings and return, so I went to the usa for my last trip ever. As we went about clearing stuff, packing and vacating the apartment, I realised how much I had lost and how much my husband had silently sacrificed for me. It was too late a realization that I had no bonds left with family or friends in India. After we moved back to my mom's home, she got the tenants to vacate the first floor. I always had this craving for a dream home and since there was no way to see it materialize, I took on the task of making a few modifications to the first floor even as we continued to live in the ground floor home along with my mother. Suddenly, my mom started protesting about the work to her sisters and would loudly cry and curse me but she never gave me a chance to explain to her what I was actually doing to the home. She just refused to let me into her bedroom(She's 75+ and is restricted to her room along with a 24 hour nurse. She is more mentally unwilling to move around and socialize that any physical incapacity. Also, a very very negative and pessimistic person). Having started with the work, there was no way I could stop it and had to complete what I set out to do. This took a couple of months before I was so stressed out, I hurried through as much as I could and finally moved up. My husband was not very happy with this arrangement, but he agreed as he knew I wouldn't move to a rented apartment and we plan to sort out a few things and have a home of our own in another couple of years.
    Finally, in my renovated home, I'm not happy at all. I'm even more unnerved than before and feel surrounded by negative energies.
    There's no one I know and nobody I can talk to. My husband's trying to sort out my issues for me ... but it's taking a long time and other than his long work hours, the weekend just passes by with him setting out to talk to people and negotiating on my family's behalf.
    I'm tired of all this. I don't even feel human anymore. I'm hurt with my sister's attitude. Since her divorce a couple of years ago, she's totally kept to herself and barely spends time even with my mom though she lives 30 seconds away.
    My mom has been upset with me even before all this work started...I don't remember or know what put her off me. She insults me every chance she gets. But she still calls my sister every other day on the phone and checks on her. Sometimes, I feel the only reason she's upset with me is because I have a spouse around me still.
    My son is a good child, diligent and academically good, but I feel bad that I'm not being a responsible mother at all. Added to that, is a bit of teenage rebellion that has just started.
    I have been through every kind of therapy......meditation, counselling, depression medication....and though I know I should not hang onto bitter memories of the past, I'm not able to unburden myself.
    Of late, I'm so lonely at home, I feel that the only thing that will help me is a job. I do need the income it can bring in and will help my self esteem too. But I'm unable to make a move on it.
    My mind's numb...pls help me.

2. yesican

yesican Gold IL'ite

Hello lr7,

why did you live separately from your husband for the last 7 years and deprive yourself of a spouse and deprive ur son of his dad???????!!! Was it -
    - too much attachment to mommy at the cost of ur hubby and ur marriage (also known as MOMMA's GIRL)
    - was it the greed n temptation of making sure ur mom n dad's properties would not go out of your hand?

Did no one ever tell you that taking care of your marriage is also important, similiar to taking care of a parent? or were you too "sheltered" or just too dumb to figure that yourself? Your sis is staying near your mom so she could have taken care of ur mom too, and u could have visited india every year to visit ur mom from the US, instead of visiting ur husband in the US annually. Not staying in US long term is a decision made by you and ur husband so that's fine, but you should have focused on your hubby, son and marriage too instead of just focusing on ur mom as ur sis was around to take care.

Now, interesting that you do you get a feeling that ur mom is upset that u have a spouse around still.
    Did your mom start to get upset with you around the time she knew your hubby would be getting back permanently from the USA and instead of ur mom being the sole center of attention, now ur attention and time needs to include ur hubby too and she is now acting out against that?
    Does your sis feel that ur mom was in any way shape or form responsible for her divorce by sucking up too much of her time away from her marriage and her ex hubby and hence ur sis might now be avoiding visiting ur mom even though she lives nearby?
    Please start thinking over the questions raised in this post, I do not mean to be rude to you but sometimes a strict and frank talk seems to open the eyes of people as to what is really going on.

I might not have helped in asnwering ur question that u posted, but do think and reflect on ur position in life, all your relationships with ur hubby, son, mother, sis, friends etc. and recognize next steps that you need to take. And stop this "dislike of any change" = the only thing in life that is constant is change, you will always have to accept change in life - good luck!

3 people like this.
  3. naliniraut

naliniraut Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ir7,
    Sometimes it really helps to look at all the positives things that happened to you, for example you are blessed with a loving husband and bright talented son. As per your account your hubby is even sorting out things for you. So don't feel guilty for neglecting your family, trust me every mother goes through that guilt trap. Think about the future and concentrate on your son and hubby.
    Your mother is old and sick so don't keep any expectations from her and make peace with yourself. Saying that don't forgo your duties towards her. Stay positive and keep up the good work. Wish you all the best.

1 person likes this.
  4. lr7

lr7 New IL'ite

Hi yesican, thanks for writing.....

Yes, "mommy's girl" aptly described what I was. And a few minor irritants with my husband at that time kept me thinking I was having the best of both worlds. My comfortable cocoon in India and an annual vacation to sightsee and shop where hubby footed the bill! What else did I want?

I was so, so stupid I realize. Thanks for the shake-up....

And no, there's not much here to be 'greedy' for. Things are so shaky, I realized in the last two years that it might disappear in a moment if it has to. If I had been working and been 'aware', my husband and I could have achieved more. It's only after he returned to India that we've been talking about ground realities.

It's more a sense of shock that people let go/weaken relationships so easily. It's even more shocking that I never had/have a clear head of my own!

Agree about the change factor.....the question is....from here, to where do I head?

5. lr7

lr7 New IL'ite

Nalini,
    Thanks! It's just that every time I counted my blessings, I lost something....
    I'm afraid to show gratitude now, I don't know what will be snatched from me next!
    I do not have the energy to think about how I'll handle my mom...for the moment, I'm just keeping away from her and monitoring the household help where she lives.

I do need positivity....immense amounts of it!

6. aaral

aaral Silver IL'ite

There is a saying familiarity breeds contempt. Stay away from all the negativity and concentrate on your marriage. God bless you

2 people like this.
  7. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

Yesican has asked some very important questions a ndlooking at your subsequent post - i feel you have realized your mistakes. No use crying over spilt milk - look ahead instead of the past. learn your lessons and ensure you do not repeat the same mistakes. You need to understand one thing here - showing gratitude will not snatch away anything from you. It will give you perspective and the much needed positivity that you are seeking. Learn to be thankful - for your hubby specially! and SHOW GRATITUDE!

2 people like this.
  8. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

I am really surprised to hear tat you stayed 7 yrs away from DH. You realized your mistake. So that is a good start. I think it would be nice if you stay away from your family and start living on your own. Your Husband is a nice guy who agreed to everything. So it's time you show some compassion towards him.

2 people like this.