1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Day care or live in maid - Please suggest

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Pisces12345, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Pisces12345

Pisces12345 Junior IL'ite

Hi All,

My DD is 7 months old. I need to go back to work shortly. Like many of you I am confused about the right option for my LO. I live with my DH, FIL and DD. Now to take care of my LO while I am gone I have 2 options -
    to leave her @home, hire a live in maid, under the supervision of my FIL.
    or @ day care.

If it was my MIL to supervise I wouldnt have had a second thot... but unfortunately she passed away a yr ago.

So please advice which is the right thing to do???

2. deepanika

deepanika Senior IL'ite

hi, i have a DD who is 7 months old too and can understand your concerns......personally if i were in your place i would hire a live in maid under fils supervision as your baby is too small for a day care....may be once she is an yr old or so you can think of sending her to daycare....all the best!

3. DRRAMAN2006

DRRAMAN2006 Junior IL'ite

Better to have live in maid under FIL's supervision..I too have maid to take care on 4 month old under my parents supervision..

4. krishlakshmi

krishlakshmi Silver IL'ite

For your information.Many of the day care has the time constraint.They will take care of the kids till 6 pm or 7 pm.That too your baby looks so small for daycare environment.Better get a good maid and take care of your kid under your FIl supervision.Even you can get a good day care but getting the good maid is the most challenging one.

5. Sridevi

Sridevi Bronze IL'ite

As you luckily have your FIL to supervise, having a live-in maid is the best, though it's very tough to get a good & reliable live-in maid....But with your FIL around, that's the best, as you can also have the advantage of the maid doing your other household chores as well....

6. OliveOyl

OliveOyl Gold IL'ite

Agree...a live in maid will do household work as well and she is going to take care of only your child and no one else. In day care, they have 3 kids per care giver. Also, your kid would be playing with her toys and sleep in her own bed. If it was not India and US, my answer would have been different. But since you are in India, this is the best option.

7. Pisces12345

Pisces12345 Junior IL'ite

Thank you all for your replies.... I am trying to get a reliable live in maid... as you rightly said that seems to be biggest challenge... (I had a pretty bad experience with 2 of them from an agency in chennai).

hopefully I find a good one........(fingers crossed)...

Do share your advices on handling these maids and how to train them on taking care of baby... I am first time mom and I've been spending all my time with my DD untill now... I am so worried about leaving my baby with someone else :( :(

8. sunis

sunis Senior IL'ite

better to hire house maid among your frnds and relatives whom they know house maid agency

9. priyankanath

priyankanath Gold IL'ite

DayCare anytime!

I had a live-in maid with both MIL and FIL (though my in-laws were one bunch of lazy people), still inspite of that the maid many a times ignored the child and even when my MIL used to say to do a particular work in a certain way she would do it her way! Trust me these live-in maids are a PAIN. They are not worth it. Had a live-in maid for 6months when i joined work....but tired and disgusted i have put my DD in the daycare and my life has improved a lot. They take good care and my DD is happy. Hunt a good daycare and put your kid there.

Good luck.