1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

when is the right time to plan for second kid ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by bhavatarini, Jun 8, 2012.

1. bhavatarini

bhavatarini Silver IL'ite

I am a 30 year working mom with a two and half year old kid.
    when is the right time to plan for second kid ? What should be the ideal age difference between the kids ?
    Is it ok to postpone for two or three more years from now ? what are the health and pschycological consequences ? How do working women manage with two kids ?

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Bhavtarini
    IMO its better to have age difference of 5

3. noel26

noel26 New IL'ite

Its better to have kid as soon as possible, because you had enough gap ., if so on delay you may face health issues later.

4. just20

just20 Silver IL'ite

The sooner the better, if want you have another one after 2 or 3 more years then I have few points I can list of for you:

1. Health consequences
    2. You grow your first kid for 5 or 6 yrs and then start again with new born. If you have them one after the other than they grow in same pace. Though it is bit harder managing them both initially.
    3. It would be easy for you to drop both in school rather than drop one in daycare and one in school :)
    4. You wont have lot of energy going forward - it could be because of age, 2nd kid etc

I hope this helps!!!

3 people like this.
  5. sunita23

sunita23 Silver IL'ite

Ideally there should be 4-5 years Gap between two kids......I don't think any issue with having second child after 2-3 years......As the first Kid will be matured enough & will not have any complex feeling of not getting much attention from Parents when second kids arrive.......FIrst Kid will take proper care of the kid, when you are not around.....

& if you get baby one after other, then first kid's love & affection gets divided between two..hence the complex feeling & insecurity capture their mind.....which sometime stay too long in their mind....they will not love the second kid...as they have to share evrything right from the toys to the Mom's love & attention....

I would suggest please follow what you have decided.

1 person likes this.
  6. alwaysyouthful

alwaysyouthful New IL'ite

i think you should wait till your first child is about 6-7 years of age. the reason being he will be able to manage some of his tasks by himself and you will have sufficient time to focus on your new-born baby.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Each one gave one answer differently! This question has been bugging me too; wondering when to have. I know, it's different for each family. Waiting for more replies.

8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rakhii
    We answered from experience ... If you think you are ready and physically mentally fit to have another then on doctors advise you can decide...

2 people like this.
  9. revathiv

revathiv Junior IL'ite

Even i am also in same situation as you are ..lots of confustion whether i can have baby as my first baby is just 2 ..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
  10. RuthuVetha

RuthuVetha Junior IL'ite

One of my friend had a second child when her 1st one was 7yrs (2nd std) She manages both her first and second child beautifully. The youger one is very active and a quick learner. Does everything that the elder one does.