1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Birthday gift ideas for 5 year old

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by srilak, Jan 16, 2007.

1. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

HI,

MY sister's kid, of ocurse my kid too, entering into 6th year on 31st Janvary. I like to send her a gift. Till now I used to send her some pretty GOWNS which avilable here in Macys.However, now my sister's kid gave me an ultimatum that she doesn't want gowns. But she didn't ask me anything perticular. Now I am left with the dilema of what to send her?

I have plans of buying children books/some small gold earrings/toys...so please give me ideas of what books a 5 year old likes or can read ?If u have kids probably u will have some idea right...so please please give me some ideas about the gift.

THank you.
    Srilak.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Srilak,
    The Ramakrishna Mutt has brought out Pictorial stories for children- religious stories for children as comics. It is a good start in 2 ways, reading habit and to know about our Hindu religion. You could try to get these, I guess the Mutt has branches in US.
    The website is www.sriramakrishnamath.org Try in that.

sindmani likes this.
  3. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Take a look at this

Pls visit this website www.justmail4me.com you have lots of gift ideas

4. priyanka

priyanka Junior IL'ite

hi

i think a small piggy bank would be good.you can find these in beautiful shapes ,like animal shapes or building shaped.you might even get a musical one.they can learn about money and savings.

enjoy..

sindmani likes this.
  5. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

Thanks!!

HI,

Thanks for the suggestions. Rajmiarun,I coudn't open this link. Valeroo,nice vivekanada books...however,her mother already bought those when she visited India last year. I am still searching for the different options and if I don't get any new idea, I always can send some clothes to her. I hope this year I will give her a new present not a boring one.

Thank you.

6. balaallaka

balaallaka New IL'ite

gift for 5 year old kid

hai srilak,

Apart form clothes u can find lots of gifts for 5 year old kid.i have 2 nephews ...........so i ahve little bit idea.

u can find lots of activity toys in "TOYSRUS" store .they have the website also.let me send u the link.

http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2255956

here u can find the toys based on gender and age and cost.so start searching ...........

all the best,
    bala:wave

7. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Goody bag gift.

Hi friends,

My daughter's birthday is approaching and looking for a decent gift in return to the kids. All the time, ended up with same old toys and really so fed up with that. Can you all suggest me some educational toys like some globe or anything else there in the age group of 3 to 7 yrs ? FYI, live in NJ.

Have any of you heard abt this wooden kit? It is very simple, just that, have to assemble and paint them, then, the wooden aeroplane or bus is ready. Just want to know where it is available?

Waiting for yr replies..

Rgds.

8. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Birthday gift - Play Station

Hi Srilak,

I think you can get her a ‘fancy-dress kit’. (I think she is in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>) I heard that you will get all types of dressing kits for the Halloween day function. So if she is in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>, she can use it for her school annual function for Fancy dress competition which will be held Feb/Mar of each year. If she is in US also she will enjoy by seeing your ‘kit’.

OR

Get some ‘building set’, so that she can make animal, fruit or the given figure with the help of given blocks. This will help the child to improve creativity.

OR
    If she is so smart get her Play Station and CDs. Normally elders will say that, Play station or Video games will not suit children, and they will play always and will not study. But we have to make them ‘work while you work and play while you play’. Then Play station will not be a problem. But the other hand it will make children to have more concentration and accurate in their work.

My son who is studying BE final year, still plays Play station II, I will usually get CDs for him from Saudi, till date. He started playing Video games when he was 8 years old. I want to tell you one thing he got his car driving license with out any strain only because he practiced to drive many cars and many tests he passed in Play station II.

I can give you another example, have you seen the latest movie, Snakes in the plane?
    In that, the boy is able to land the plane only because he played in Play station and practice to land the plane in that game.

So you can get a Play Station I or II to her. And naturally choice is yours.:-D

9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

For Ami

Dear Ami,

Here are a few suggestions from me:
    I think the wooden craft toys can be found in Michaels or anyother craft supply store. I think sometimes, 1 dollar stores have it too.

Other than the above you can:

For all ages: give a gift card /certificate to Pizza hut or any such restaurant.
    for 3 to 5 yr old girls: hair accesories, bracelets, bead necklaces, books.
    for 3 to 5 yr old boys: books, model cars/autos that they have to put together, puzzles.
    For 5 to 7 yr old girls: can give the do it yourself crafts for bead braclets, necklaces etc... , Glass painting kit, again hair clips etc.., cook book( simple paperback cook books are available for this age group.)
    For 5 to 7 yr old boys: science kit ( i have seen a number of kits available covering various topics and available for about 5 bucks). Again art and craft kits like glass painting, ceramic painting etc... puzzle books, puzzles.
    Once i had my sons party at this ceramic painting store, and the goody bag ofcourse was each kid got to take home the ceramic item they had painted.
    On the whole i think books make great gifts, they are available in a wide range of course a wide price range too.

Also instead of candy , i usually give the 100 cal packs of cookies, a packet of juice and may be a nutrigrain bar or something like that.

Hope this helps.

Vandhana

10. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

thank you.

HI,

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. My sister live in Chicago and I bought a gift for the kid today from Amazon and I already gave her address for shipping.

Here is the gift:

Amazon.com: V.Smile Nitro Notebook Interactive Learning System: Toys & Games=

I think this will help her kid to learn and play. I hope my sister will not scold me for this. I know my sister she will not give this gift to her kid untill next year. She may think this is too early for her to play on laptop.

Regards
    Srilak.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007