1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed in bying a painting

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by Rakhii, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

ladies, I need you help. I am planning on buying a painting from an acquaintance of mine. Its an oil painting. I liked it very much but he told me that he will not sell me the original but will sell me the limited re-print. Meaning, he is going to make 10 copies of the same and give one to me.

Now, what questions should I ask him to negotiate the price? He told me to name the price. So, I dont want to over or under quote.

Please, experts here, can you please help me decide the price by asking the right questions?

Thank you!

2. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Rakhi
    No art gallery will sell the ORIGINALS.Only photocopy.If originals are sold,the price is fixed by the artist which is surely much higher than the print copy.
    If you feel the price is high,then you can negotiate,but then it depends on the quality.
    Did you bought any pieces.??
    Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Thanks YashiKushi. No, I have not bought anything yet. Actually, he is an young artist but sure is good in what he does. He told me that he is willing to sell the original at a higher cost but wanted to know how much should I be bargaining for a re-print.

Its a water color painting. Since its a reprint, I can select the size. How much do water color reprints normally get sold for? Mind you...he is not a famed artist...just not yet.

4. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Rakhi
    Bow for your artistic interest.

Being an artist,I know how much each single art work values for us as "Master piece".How much the higher value is quoted each artist feel his/her work as unrivaled.
    So far I never sold any of my works.Given only as gifts!!!!!

The price vary from person to person,country to country.
    Its bit difficult to judge the price tag as its purely the mindset of the selling person/the artist.Even the smaller size may cost high.
    What I suggest you is visit some other art gallery nearby,go through the quality,size and price(both original and reprint)
    Gain some knowledge.Then correlate with the young artist's art piece.Go head.

Thanks

5. Rakhii

Yashi...thanks again. This is my second purchase. The first time I paid $800 but this time, since its water color, I really dont want to pay that much.
    Also, I have never seen this in person or his painting. I have seen the gallery online and liked his painting. He, as a matter of fact told me to decide the price. I just dont want to insult him by quoting too less.
    He lives in a different country, so, I cant go.
    I will see if I can go to a gallery.

6. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rakhii,
    How about checking etsy or some other site - can get an idea on the price range of similar works and decide the appropriate price.
    Just my:my2cents

2 people like this.
  7. Rakhii

Thats a great idea...thnaks knbg!

1 person likes this.