How To Wash Silk

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by chanchal088, Jul 27, 2009.

1. chanchal088

chanchal088 Senior IL'ite

What diamond is to jewelers, silk is to the weavers! It is one of the most lustrous and luxurious fabrics in the whole world, which has been used by people for centuries. So, taking proper care of the silk fabrics is very essential and must be done very carefully.

• Water
    • Mild soap (avoid using detergents)
    • Tub or Basin (large enough to hold water and clothes)
    • Plastic Bag
    • Towel
    • Vinegar

• Soak the silk garment in lukewarm water, with a mild soap, for a maximum of 5 minutes. Make sure that the water is mildly warm (dip your finger in it and check for its mildness). If the water is excessively hot or cold, it can cause the garment to stretch or shrink.
    • Rub the stains on your silk garment, if any, very lightly, under the soap-water. Don't rub too hard, as it can cause irreparable damage to the garment. Silk is protein and doesn’t shrink by itself. However, a twist and turn may make it shrink. So, make sure that it is not wringed or washed too hard.
    • Now rinse the fabric with water, which contains 40 ml vinegar. This will remove the soap and restore the shine of the garment as well.
    • For the final rinsing, use cold water only. Take the garment out of the water and wring out the excess water out, by spreading it on a towel and rolling it up. The towel will absorb the water, and the garment will get an effective, yet mild wringing.
    I hope This will help. As we get nice silk clothes in North.. Please tell me how it helped

2. bappika007

bappika007 Senior IL'ite

Hey! thanks for the information about washing silk. I have heard Silk can be washed in ritha. I have tried it once.

Dipping it in ritha and slightly scrubbing it by hand then washing in cold water and letting it dry in sun not on the strings but on the floor.

This way the Silk get ironed all by itself. Well I have never tried with vinegar. I hope it dosent smell bad.