Panchkula Cactus Garden

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by uttarkideepika, May 5, 2009.

1. uttarkideepika

uttarkideepika New IL'ite

I've heard about a Cactus garden in Panchkula; please share some details about it? How far is it from Chandigarh and what should we look out for there.

Thanks in advance.
    Deepika

2. jasmine1763

jasmine1763 Senior IL'ite

Cactus Garden Renamed as National Cactus and Succulent Botanical Garden and Research Centre situated in the heart of the city Panchkula, Satellite town of Chandigarh City. The objective behind developing the garden was preservation and conservation of endangered species of cacti and succulents and to create Tourist attraction. Covering an area of 7 Acres it is considered as Asia's largest outdoor landscaped cacti and Succulents Garden with over 2500 species of Cacti & succulents. The garden has comprehensive collection of Indian succulents, the largest in the world, some of them extremely rare and have already been declared as endangered species, which includes complete collection of Genus Caralluma of Indian origin. The garden has three green houses. The cacti and succulents also have medical values. Indian succulents are being used in Ayurveda and Unani medicines for centuries. It is a great source of attraction for not only only tourists but also for botanists.

3. pamellasingh

pamellasingh New IL'ite

<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceName"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceType"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place" downloadurl="http://www.5iantlavalamp.com/"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City" downloadurl="http://www.5iamas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> <st1:placename w:st="on"></st1:placename>Hi Gals, This is a fantastic place not only for tourists but also for botanists. Sharing a picture of the Panchkula Cactus Garden with you all. Have you seen such beautiful Cactus? You must visit this place to see Asia's largest collection of Cacti.

[​IMG]

4. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Hi Deepika, what a beautiful picture of Cactus garden. Is that Cactus flower in bloom? I'm really fascinated....would definitely visit the Cactus Garden the next time I visit Chandigarh & Panchkula.

Does this Garden also host any kind of 'Garden festival' like the other gardens in Chandigarh.

Happy Posting!
    Sonia

5. sethihardeep

sethihardeep New IL'ite

That's really nice. Never saw such beautiful cactus. :hatsoff

Can we actually have a cactus garden at home? Any ladies here who have grown cactus beautifully?

6. menila01

menila01 Senior IL'ite

Some people say that growing cactus at home is not a good sign. But as the technologies and education is growing so much, I really do not believe in such talks. A cactus garden can be grown at home too. But to maintain them is a difficult job as they needs constant care. Once they start growing in there respective shapes they will require less or no attention at all. I hope You find the right choice of cactus..

7. NabanitaS

NabanitaS New IL'ite

Hey, I couldn't stop myself from replying here....
    We have a lovely cactus garden at home apart from other plants and they are a beauty. I do not believe, cactus at home is bad; see i consider them as excuses made by some unsuccessful people who make an effort to bury their incompetence on some cactus, Vaastu or even people. :rant

Also, I disagree with you that maintaining cactus is a difficult job. Infact, cactus can be easily grown with the least amount of care (even watering) as being succulents they retain water. However. I must mention, I've never visited a Cactus Garden as in Panchkula; and I definitely would love to visit there someday.

It'll be great, if you can share some information about how to reach Panchkula from Delhi? How much time does it take?

8. keerat45

keerat45 Senior IL'ite

Panchkula is situated at 15 km from Chandigarh city and is well connected by air, rail and road. “Indian airlines” has a daily flight to Chandigarh from Delhi. Rail and road transport are also comfortable due to its proximity to Chandigarh.

I do agree with you that Cactus is not hard to maintain. I guess menila has got some diffrent ideas about growing cactus at home. And I also agree about the bad omen people say of having them at home. People simply need reasons which are unnecessary if you directly believe that GOD watches over all.

Well if anyone has more information about how to get there can please share it here.

9. chanchal088

chanchal088 Senior IL'ite

Cacti are some of nature's most beautiful and exotic plants. I do not believe in omen and all sorts of thinking. But I have some info which might be useful for planting your own cactus garden.

Choose plants that will do well in your area. You should be able to get this information wherever you buy your cacti. If you live in an area where the temperatures fall below 45 degrees Fahrenheit, there is an easy way for you to still have a cactus garden. Plant the cacti, pot and all, in the ground. Then when wintertime rolls around, you can simply lift your plants out of the ground and bring them inside to wait until spring.

When planting your cacti, be creative in your design. You can plant the cacti in a pattern or randomly, however you choose. After you have finishing planting your cacti, your garden is complete.

MAINTENANCE:

Your cacti garden will need very little maintenance. No watering or irrigation is needed, the rainfall will be enough. Feeding your cacti with 10-10-10 fertilizer
    once a year in the spring is the only thing you will need to do.

I hope this will help...

10. krishnabhatt

krishnabhatt New IL'ite

Thanks for the info Chanchal. Can you please clarify the '10-10-10 fertilizer'? Where do we get to buy that and is the fertilizer same for all types of cactus? <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">