Leh Ladakh - Ph-Yang Tsedup

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by keerat45, May 2, 2009.

1. keerat45

keerat45 Senior IL'ite

My cousins have just come from a trip to Leh Ladadh. They say it is a beautiful place. So I thoght of sharig something about that place.

Phyang is one of the two ancient Monasteries in Dringungpa at Ladakh. Here the Phyang Tsedup Festival is held during July-August. During the festival men throng in the Monastery dressed in colorful costumes and also wearing a beautiful smile on their faces.

I wish I could visit there once.

2. bappika007

bappika007 Senior IL'ite

All these seem to brighten up the mood of the carnival and thus the sacred ceremony Phyang Tsedup is celebrated with enthusiasm and vigor all over Jammu. People from India and abroad throng the grounds of the Phyang Tsedup Festival and enjoy the Phyang Tsedup Festival to their heart’s content.

I liked your post Keerat. Keep writing.

3. chanchal088

chanchal088 Senior IL'ite

The founder of the Dringumpa Monastic Dynasty also known as Skyabje Jigten Gombo was regarded as the saintly person. In his memory a Thankha has been erected which is the present site of the famous Phyang Tsedup Festival at Phyang.

The Tibetan skill associated with the construction of Thangkha came into action from the time of Dalai Lama V. the Thankha artifacts are renowned throughput the world and as been Internationally accredited.
    Did you know this?

4. chanchal088

chanchal088 Senior IL'ite

Similarly the colossal Thangkha of Skyabje Gombo is the most renowned Thankha at Jammu and people from all parts of the world visit this place to pay homage to the great soul of Skyabje Jigten Gombo.

I had heard this history from my grandmom, Anyone thanks for the good post.

The Phyang Tsedup Monastic Festival is usually held in July-August. It continues for two days.

5. menila01

menila01 Senior IL'ite

The festival of Phyang Tsedup is celebrated with great deal of pomp and gaiety. It is actually a Buddhist ceremony. The Buddhist Lamas participate in the dance drama known as Chhams.

This dance drama forms the core ceremony of the Phyang Tsedup festival, apart from the worship of the Thankha of Jigten Gombo. The Buddhist Lamas dress up in colorful costumes and play the various characters of the dance drama.

6. loveleen001

loveleen001 Senior IL'ite

But the most interesting part of the dance drama is the mask. The Lamas perform the dance drama wearing masks. An exhibition is also held during the two day festival of the Phyang Tsedup.

During this festival numerous Buddhist articles are being displayed in order to spread the message of Lord Buddha to the people.

It was a nice post!