Mother Nature At Work

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by rajikannan, Aug 12, 2012.

1. rajikannan

rajikannan Bronze IL'ite

Come on IL's peep through the window when the flight takes off from the concrete dry jungle of Delhi.Now rest for 35 minutes or so and again look out at the excellent art work of mother nature.The scenario changes to dark yellow and green patches of mustard fields and ridges , valleys ,mountains with icecream toppings.That's where mother nature is at work silently,busy with colourful brush strokes on the canvas of our sister state Jammu & Kashmir .
    Srinagar honestly is a mustvisit place for a travelmaniac.Soon our bodies are exposed to 10 degree Celsius chillness of Kashmir.Though Srinagar is a capital city there were no signs of modern culture. Rooms were rented for us near Dal lake and I was astonished at the hospitality of the people who worked there.On first day rains ruined our day.We had to wipe out the misty glass windows of our taxi to look at the beauty of Kashmir.Once we were at Sonmarg which meant literally " The Meadow of Flowers" rains cleared and it started to snow.The landscape which was green and grassy slowly changed to Narnia and the sight was spectacular.We started enjoying by throwing fresh snow at one another little knowing that we are not going to stand this for a long time.
    The next day we visited beautiful Mughal Gardens Shalimar Bagh,Hazratbal mosque and also Tulip Festival where acres of land had stretches and stretches of Tulip flowers.We also did not miss to stay in the luxurious house boat in Dal lake.It is well equipped and it is heaven to have tea in the morning floating in the house boat looking at the men rowing their Shikaras .Most shikaras sell Tulip flowers and even some come with petty shops with snacks and coke tins.Some come to sell wooden pieces of art work.Pahalgam is a beautiful valley where Liddar river cuts it's winding way.This is a tourist spot about 100 kms from Srinagar.Then we went to Gulmarg the world's highest skiing spot.We are taken to the place in Gondolas.Fully equipped with fur coats and boots,we are taken to the place where our eyes could see only white snow everywhere.Indulging in all kinds of cardio activities like riding ice scooters,sledges and skiis, people rush into the centralised hot conditioned restaurant.Hot fire places are set here and there to keep ourselves warm and it was peculiar to see some of them plunging their feet and hands into the flames of fire.
    Those who have gone there could never erase the memories of saffron fields, shikara rides,Tulip gardens,cricket bat factories,slippery snow ans shopping Pashmina shawls. This is a place for nature lovers and i strongly recommend for those in crowded metropolitan cities (crazily hanging out in the misty counters of preserved chicken) to visit this beautiful paradise for a healthy and sound body and soul.
    The one thing I could not stand is the cold climate round the clock.Friends what do you say about this ?Share how you enjoy this or how you despise snow! http://www.indusladies.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3677

2. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Hi RajKannan
    My compliments on a beautifully written article. You have brought the magic of Kashmir home. No wonder tourists are flocking to Kashmir these days. I too am planning to visit the state again. I only hope the peace prevails in the wonderful state. One thing is sure I must have a shikara ride on the Dal Lake.

1 person likes this.
  3. rajikannan

rajikannan Bronze IL'ite

hi Bandahana thanks for your compliments.When i had been to Manali,we went on an expedition to find out snow upon the steeping hills above Rohtang pass but still failed.We landed on a studio with skiis set and took photos as though we skied for thousands of kilometers and the guides threw snow flakes they had brought in a flask to give the snowing atmosphere.How we longed to be in snow!But once we returned from Kashmir we really knew what pinching snow is all about.

4. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Raji,
    Thanks for the cool article and cool pics.......:cool2::cool2:
    Enjoyed them......:)

1 person likes this.
  5. rajikannan

rajikannan Bronze IL'ite

DSC02088.jpg
    The road to Pahalgam is lined by several Willow bat factories in a small scale level.We could see heaps of willow woods cut in the shape of bats and arranged neatly in cuboidal structures.Four to five carpenters work there using simple machines.Finished bats are varnished and colorful attractive labels are stuck and displayed in the outlets in front of the factories.

6. rajikannan

rajikannan Bronze IL'ite

7. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Dear Raji, very well written article.
    Felt as if I was part of this travel !!
    Best wishes for the contest !!

8. rajikannan

rajikannan Bronze IL'ite

thanks sudha,
    I attempted as I do in my blogs.But i came across your link and found out how interesting a travelogue should me made.i too shall try to post like that.Thank you so much .I find it difficult to format.Can you help me in this?
    you can see i cant even format paragraphs:)