Brown Rice better than White Rice!!

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by ManuSethi, Aug 8, 2012.

1. ManuSethi

ManuSethi Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I read the following extract about Brown Rice:

"Brown Rice is unmilled or partly milled rice, a kind of whole, natural grain. The process that produces brown rice removes only the outermost layer, the hull, of the rice kernel and is the least damaging to its nutritional value. The complete milling and polishing that converts brown rice into white rice destroys 67% of the vitamin B3, 80% of the vitamin B1, 90% of the vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60% of the iron, and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids. Brown rice retains all of the iron, vitamins, essential fatty acids and fiber that is removed from white rice in the milling process."

Has anyone tried cooking or has anyone had eaten this Brown Rice.....I feel like getting one pack....but wonder if its cooked the same way as White Rice.

Any suggestions?

2. gymfreak4utakenover

gymfreak4utakenover Silver IL'ite

I always have brown rice. It wont taste as good as white rice, but you will eventually get used to it. try getting ong grain brown rice. And always add a pinch of salt when you cook brown rice, else it will taste really bad ! Less than a week and you will start liking it!

3. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

Yup..brown rice are better then white rice...

4. VrittiK

VrittiK Senior IL'ite

Yeah...Brown rice is more fibrous and good for health as compared to white rice...

Though, it may taste a bit bland initially but slowly and steadily you'll start liking it....!
    I usually use brown rice to prepare salad...

All you need is a bowl of cooked brown rice, and lots of vegatables steamed for just 2 mins...then you add these veggies in rice, and put chaat masala, lemon juice, olive oil and season it with fried crispy spinach leaves....
    Yum, I can feel my mouth watering :)

5. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

Brown rice takes longer to cook than regular white rice, and needs more water as well. Where white rice is generally a 1:1 ratio of rice to water, brown rice is 1:1.5 rice to water. The packet will tell you best how to cook it, but other than the time difference and needing more water, cooking brown rice is very similar to cooking white rice. Brown rice isn't usually fluffy, either.

6. RiddhimaT

RiddhimaT Platinum IL'ite

Hey,

I have tried brown rice but my family does not like the taste, so I usually use brown rice when I have to prepare idli and dosas, that is when they are mixed and the taste looks almost the same. ;D

Enjoy!

7. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

I have totally substituted my white with brown rice. It's an acquired taste . Try cooking it with little salt to get an taste while eating .
    I guess the rice you get varies in different countries . IMO brown rice takes very little water .. Compared to white when cooked in pressure cooker .
    it's def healthy .. Must try it !

8. shreepriya

shreepriya Silver IL'ite

I too want to use brown rice.
    How to mix brown rice while preparing idli or dosa.
    What quantity should be soaked and ground.

9. SameeraSingh

SameeraSingh New IL'ite

Hey,

Brown Rice is def healthier....

For making idli/dosa, I usually soak Rice and White Urad Dal in the ratio 2:1 in separate containers
    Let them soak for say 6-8 hours, I prefer overnight soaking. I also soak some methi seeds separately.

Morning, you can grind dal plus methi seeds and then grind rice separately....mix all three....let them ferment for 5-8 hrs depending upon the weather,
    In summers it takes just 5-6 hours to ferment the batter but in winters or monsoons it may take a bit longer...Once they are ferment, your batter is ready for making idli or dosa.
    You can add salt and check the consistency of the batter as per your need.

Remem, idli batter is always thicker than the dosa batter.

Enjoy!

10. shreepriya

shreepriya Silver IL'ite

Thank u Sameera.
    How does it taste,especially the idlies.