Correct recipe for sarson da saag

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by Jassi123, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Jassi123

Jassi123 New IL'ite

Hey,

Sarson da saag is the most famous recipe of Punjab. However, unfortunately despite being a Punjabi I am unable to make a good saag most of the times.

What approach I follow is that I boil the saag first and then apply a tadka of ginger and tomato purie. I am not able to get the same taste as I have tasted in native Punjabi households of my relatives.

Can you share the traditional saag recipe here for me? I would also appreciate if you share some handy tips on the recipe and where I am going wrong. :coffee

2. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

arso Da Saag(Spinach), A well known world famous recipe, is the top on the list of punjabi Cusines when it comes to food and eating styles in punjab. Ask a punjabi about Spinach and he will jump of its feet with mouth watering over it. Well here is what you need to prepare the same in your kitchen.

Serving : 4 Persons

Ingredients:

500gm Mustard Green
    2 cm of fresh ginger peices
    2 pieces of green chillies
    2 fine chopped garlic cloves
    2 table-spoon salt or as per taste
    2 table-spoon Ghee
    2 table-spoon Conrmeal

Preparation And Proceedure:

1:- First of all take the greens wash them and trim then chopp them finely.
    2:- Take a large pot to accomodate the chooped greens and add 2 cups of water with salt in it.
    3:- Cover the pot and let it cook for approx 15-20 min untill the chopped green is tender.
    4:- Once tenderly cooked, remove from the heat.
    5:- If excess water left in the pot drain it out in a sperate glass or cup, you will need that again.
    6:- Mash the green in the post with and also stir cornflour. After stirring place the pot again on the heat and let it heat for another 10-12 minutes.
    7:- Take a Pan and be ready for Saag Tadka, Put ghee in the pan and heat it little bit and then put ginger, garlic and chillies in.
    8:- Lightly fry in the pan and then take the contents of the pan and pour it in the pan.
    9:- Mix it well and your Saag is ready to be served.

Read more: Recipe Sarson Da Saag

3. ManuSethi

ManuSethi Senior IL'ite

This typically Punjabi (North Indian) dish tastes really nice with Makki Ki Roti (Indian maize flatbread) and a dollop of fresh home butter.
    Ingredients:

• 1 bunch spinach washed and chopped fine (approximately 1/2 lb or 250 gms)
    • 1 bunch mustard greens washed and chopped fine (approximately 1/2 lb or 250 gms)
    • 2 green chillies
    • 1 tbsp grated ginger (or paste)
    • 1 tbsp grated garlic (or paste)
    • Salt to taste
    • 2-3 tbsps ghee (clarified butter)
    • 1 large onion grated
    • 1 tsp coriander powder
    • 1 tsp cumin powder
    • 1 tsp garam masala powder
    • Juice of 1/2 a lime/ lemon
    • 1 tbsp bengal gram flour/ maize flour
    Preparation:

• Mix the greens, green chillies and salt to taste and boil in 1 cup of water till cooked.
    • Mash the greens mix well to make a course paste.
    • In another pan, heat the ghee on a medium flame. When hot add the grated onion and fry till pale golden.
    • Add all the other ingredients and fry till oil separates from the masala (onion-spice mix).
    • Add the greens mix to this and stir till blended.
    • Garnish with a dollop of butter and serve

4. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

hey jassi
    dont u add makki da atta?
    i think after the saag boils u should add makki atta. also in saag add bathu, methi ( if u like) , palak and even some coriander , it adds to the taste.
    also u should let the saag cook for long time , the more cooked and pakka it is the more tasty it becomes.
    i usually let it cook for 2 -3 hrs on slow flame.
    for tadka , do it like our traditional punjabi tadka and do it in desi ghee. it will be very tasty!!

par yaar june wich saag kitho mil reha he?
    i miss punjabi sarso:(

5. neetugtb

neetugtb Silver IL'ite

Let me give a very simple and easy to make sarson da saag recipe that I learnt from my MIL.
    Cute monster is right, to 500 gm of sarson da saag, add 250gm spinach, 150 gm bathoo, 150 gm radish leaves + 3-5 green chillies as per your spicy tastebuds + 1.5" ginger+ 1 garlic clove + 2 big tomatoes. Pressure cook them for 5 min on sim after the whistle with salt + asafoetida. After it cools, puree it in the mixer. Now make tadka in dollops of desi ghee + cumin powder+garam masala, add saag to it, cook it for some time and serve with white butter. Trust me, it tastes even better on the second day!