Do you think the pictures of cancerous organs on cigarette packs will deter smokers f

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by shreyachatterje, Aug 26, 2009.

1. shreyachatterje

shreyachatterje New IL'ite

Hi,

I hope you all have seen the recently added picture of smoke affecting the lungs as warning on the cigarettes packets. Do you think it will deter any smoker from smoking? What do you think? Please share your opinions.
    dont mind my question being too long did not fit in the Question box, but hope you have understood it.
    Take care,

Shreya

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009

2. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Re: Do you think the pictures of cancerous organs on cigarette packs will deter smoke

I haven't seen the picture but yes I think that kind of educational picture will help keep youngsters away from this harmful habit. Even having restricted places where they can smoke has considerably decreased the number of smokers. Recent studies have shown that smoking among youngsters has reduced from what it was in the 60s and 70s. In those days smoking was considered as a fashionable thing to do and men took pride in it while their wives were mute spectators suffering inside. Nowadays, girls do not want to choose a husband who smokes and people are also getting away from a smoker in bus stops or other public places. Actually, occasionally drinking is fine according to doctors than smoking.

Adara

3. aditimajumder

aditimajumder New IL'ite

Re: Do you think the pictures of cancerous organs on cigarette packs will deter smoke

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CIS%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi Girls,

You have come up with an interesting topic, Shreya, I really appreciate it. I have seen the photo. Now whether this will deter the smoker or not is question to be thought over. I think it depends upon individual to individual. I mean to say that if a smoker wants to leave smoking he can, no matter if there is photo on cigarette packet or not and same goes with the smokers who don’t want to leave smoking. But yes, I feel that there will be some effect on the youngsters as pointed out by Adara.
    Let’s hope for the best!!!!!

Love,

Aditi

4. diptisengupta

diptisengupta New IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CIS%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hello Everyone,

I personally don’t think that the picture will help to deter smokers from smoking. My husband is a chain smoker and the photo means nothing to him. In fact, he does not even care about that new addition in his Gold Flake Kings’ packet, I believe he hasn’t seen the photo. Anyways, it might affect the ‘would-be’ smokers, but I doubt it.
    The only solution is of course banning which won’t be done for sure. This industry earns huge and huge revenue at the cost of the lives of the people. Huh!!!

Bye,

Dipti

5. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dipti,
    I am running off track but cannot stop myself in posting this response.

Are you OK with your hubby smoking? I don't think so. Then why don't you try to help him to quit. There are many methods available nowadays by which smokers can be helped to quit entirely in a healthy way. Did you try any such things?
    The reason why I am saying you all this is one of my relative has COPD due to smoking. The doctor said he has already shortened his life by 10-12 years! His lungs are like deflated and sooty! He is the one who thinks he knows more than the doctor himself. He had a rough childhood and a divorce later. That doesn't give him any excuse but it is difficult to talk to him on this subject. He seriously needs psychological treatment but can any of us dare advise him?

Please try to help get rid of this smoking habit in your hubby.
    It is deadly!!!!

I am telling you all this just because I took you to be a fellow ILite and a friend. Hope I have not hurt you in saying so.

:my2cents
    Adara

6. diptisengupta

diptisengupta New IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CIS%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi Adara,

Of course, I am not OK with my hubby smoking. I have told him repeatedly to quit smoking but in vain. He says it is impossible to leave smoking, I even said that he can at least try. I really don’t know how to get him out of this habit. And to tell you a truth, your post has really scared me a lot. I will make my hubby get of this bad habit.
    Can you please suggest me some ways?

Please?????

Thanks Adara.

Take care,

Dipti

7. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Hey Dipti,

That was not to scare you at all ! Those are facts. The lungs get damaged for a smoker and they end up having all pulmonary disorders.
    Now, what you can do is talk to him about seeing a doctor. Both of you can go and ask the doctor about guiding him in quitting. There are also some related therapies for it. Actually, the sooner the better. These habits get stronger with age. So go see a doc first.

Give him all support and encouragement.

Good luck!
    Adara

8. diptisengupta

diptisengupta New IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CIS%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi Adara,

Thank you Adara for helping me, I will ask him to go to a doc, though I don’t know how far I will be successful. Hope he will listen to me. Whatever you have written might be fact but it did really scare me a lot. I have asked my hubby to eat clove whenever he feels like smoking. Of course he dint continue that.
    Anyways, I will let you know if there is any kind of progress.

Take care,

Dipti