Puchka Recipe - Anybody? Plz help!!

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by papiyarose, Feb 4, 2009.

1. papiyarose

papiyarose New IL'ite

Hi IL gang,

I really miss "gods own creation - Puchka." Staying in US for the last 7 years, I miss the Puchka so much! In my school and college days, there was not a single day when I did not delve into this pleasure. But now I am in a place where I cannot even think of having one. So I have actually thought of making them in my home.

I really hate all those "puchkawalas" who refused to give me the recipe whenever I asked themRant. Had they given me, then I would have never forgotten the taste of that wonder.

Please girls lemme have the recipe if any of you know.

Waiting for an early reply... Love, Papiya Sen

2. bidishauroy698

bidishauroy698 New IL'ite

Hi Papiya,

You brought up my favorite topic in your post - Puchkas I mean. I have traveled to other parts of India and found the very same tasty puchka in other names and slightly variant tastes. In Mumbai it is ‘panipuri’ and in North India they call it ‘gol gappa’! Whatever the name, it is yummy as ever and keeps the Indians thinking about it when they go abroad.

As far as I know, it is now available in foreign soils as well - you are really unlucky if it is not sold in Boston. You know, you could really try to make it though I am not so certain about the results. Why don’t you buy some packed puchkas next time you visit Kolkata? They are available in all the food stores. You just need to make the ‘alu chaat’ and ‘imli paani’ then and these are quite easy to make.

What do the other ILs have to say about this?

Love u... Bidisha Roy

3. samira

samira New IL'ite

i am samira .ok baby wait few sacand .
    1-)1teble spun urad dal atta,1teS mayda,1teS mung dal atta,1teS fine rava , 1teS rice atta,1teS cappti atta, 1pinch salt,1pinch soda, 2te S warm water .
    mathod------ all attas mix and make dough( its very hard dough)
    make small balls (like rajma size)and small puri rolling and keep it side half hour.these dry than deep fry and your puchka is reddy.
    chatnis ,sev,boil mung dal ,tarmnid chatni,boil alu,chat masala you have you will doing very simple.ok bye some mistake you PM me.

4. Susila

Susila New IL'ite

5. papiyarose

papiyarose New IL'ite

Hi Susila, Samira and Bidisha.... Thanks a lot for helping me out... :) I would try your recipes this weekend... let's see how well I come up. But, first I would check the local Indian Stores - if I find the ready made ones it would be nice. Thanks a lot girls... You all saved my life... :bowdown Papiya Sen

6. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Hi Papiya,
    Also you can get panipuri in Hotbreads in Woburn or Framingham. Its yummy there, you get other chaat items too. You get the puris ready made in all indian stores in the boston area and you can make the chutneys and dal at home,
    Aparna

7. papiyarose

papiyarose New IL'ite

Hi Aparna, Thanks a lot. :thankyou2: I’d check Hotbreads soon! Let me try the packed ones first, then I’d try to make some at home. The IL gals are cool :cool2:. Soon I’ll let you all know about my grand Puchka experience. Bye… Papiya Sen