Slowcooker Nehari

Discussion in 'NonVegetarian Kitchen' started by tashidelek2002, Nov 22, 2012.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have fiddled around with nehari and figured there must be an easier way to cook this. Finally I think I have it licked and here is what I did:

I was using a small size slow cooker (cheap on from Aldis with three settings: high, low, auto). Now one must use the toughest cheapest meats for this recipe. I used a pork heart but tongue is super good also. Just gives more flavor to the recipe than non-organ meats. I put the heart into the slow cooker with a bay leaf and salt, covered it with water and let it simmer on low all day. In the evening I took it out and cut it up, leaving the broth in the slow cooker. In a separate pan on the stove I made a quick onion masala mix: In a quarter cup ofmustard oil start cooking a big onion sliced in rings. To that stir in the following:
    1 tsp gr elaichi powder
    1 tsp coriander powder
    1/2 tsp cumin powder
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 Tbsp ginger puree
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp black pepper powder
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    (I didn't use but you can also put in 1/4 tsp clove powder, some garlic puree (I don't use garlic ever), 1/2 tsp allspice powder)
    salt

Cook this with the onion to get the flavor into the oil. Don't worry about getting the onion cooked, just half cook. Put this into the broth, rinsing the pan with some of the broth.

Now I keep some soaked chickpeas in the freezer (uncooked), a trick I learned from a friend of mine so you always have them ready when you want them. I took about a cup of them and pureed them really well in the blender with some of the hot broth (before I added the masala). You can also blend in 1/2 c of yogurt with the chickpeas if you remember. Dump that into the slow cooker. Stir in the yogurt (don't worry about lumps) if you didn't put with the chickpeas. Return the meat pieces to the slow cooker. Stir in 1 tsp kasoori methi. Cook on high about three hours or low overnight.

So with this method you can easily cook the meat while at work. Fix the next step in the evening and wake up to nehari the following morning, all hot and tasty.

Now that you know the method you can cook larger quantities in bigger slow cooker and adjust your ingredients accordingly.

Note: I like the taste of the pureed chickpeas better than using besan and I think the consistency is better. Just my opinion. In this recipe it will also work better.