Liver

Discussion in 'NonVegetarian Kitchen' started by Huma, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi everybody

I am very fond of chicken liver's dishes but when i cooked it. The liver has a nasty taste, i think it's because of the membrane, how do i get rid of? How to prepare chicken liver?

thanks in advance

2. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

I always stir fry the liver (or any other parts if cooking) separately in a little oil with a pinch of turmeric before putting it in the main masala/curry or whatver base. Saute it till the meat is sealed and then add to the main dish and cook til done

This way, it looses all the raw smell and still retains a good flavour and the consistency is not very chewy.

3. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Thanks Gurbani. I used to boil liver without water with turmeric and chilli powder. Next time i will try your method. Could you tell me how you cook chicken's liver? I am quite fed up with my own dish.

take care

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Liver shouldn't be cooked very much as it gets solid and iron taste. One way you can cook is to heat butter and put in chopped onions and if you like masala put it in at this point in the hot oil. Cook th onion under transparent on a low/medium heat. Then add your chicken livers and cook them until them are set but still a little soft. You can eat like this or you can mash and put on crackers.

5. sathiyafrancis

sathiyafrancis New IL'ite

Hi
    boiling liver in turmeric water is a good idea but cook liver with coconut oil and pepper u will be surprised as there wont be any smell.try this south Indian style liver recipe.

First boil liver in turmeric water [never cook it }. After removing it out wash it and marinate with little pepper powder , turmeric and salt.Heat coconut oil add saunf when it turns brown add curry leaves . when curry leaves turns crispy add onions finely chopped , fry it till goldenbrown add 2 tbsp coriander powder , drop the marinated liver fry in low heat till the masala is thick and becomes dry . add Salt and pepper powder if required . sprinkle chopped coriander and remove from stove.hope u will like this

6. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi
    I like the liver well done but thank you for the recipe

7. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi
    for how much i will have to boil it? 5 minutes?

8. sathiyafrancis

sathiyafrancis New IL'ite

yes five minutes should be ideal.

9. ankitkaran

ankitkaran Bronze IL'ite

I too love liver and i just pour oil and fry liver and top it with salt and pepper. Try it

10. JP123

JP123 New IL'ite

you can try frying sambar onions with green chillies and salt.Once its fried properly, add a half tea spoon of cumin powder and then add the liver,sprinkle some water too.thee should nt be much of water added.after 5minutes of frying liver, add pepper to your taste and fry it for more than 5 to 10 minutes again.

This will entirely take the smell and also tastes good.