Another gang rape: this time in Mumbai

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Rakhii, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Because my dad served in the Indian army..because i aspired to be an army officer...because my friend's dad went to sri Lanka with IPKF...i felt the need to post here.
    Througout my life i have been surrounded by army men...not once i have had bad experience within the army cantonments...not once in my life.From the sahayak's who used to come to our house to the Army officer's who partied with us ,nobody has ever misbehaved with me.
    Let me give you an example now
    once during a new year's bash in an army club civilians were allowed to join the party.During the party son of a famous CM misbehaved with an army officer's daughter.The bachelor officers on the dance floor made sure that was the last time that guy misbehaved with a gal.Today that guy is the CM of an Indian state.I dont want to take names...but let me tell you i was present in that new year's party.I witnessed it.Those officers took the risk.They protected the girl despite the fact that this guy was the son of CM.

i agree rape cases by some army men were reported but then rape has never been the Indian army's strategy.

4 people like this.
  2. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

This is the main reason I'm afraid to settle in India. Every woman in India goes/went through some kind of sexual assault. Came across a blog post on this this morning and want to share with you all:

It’s a baby girl! | Sahaja Patel

1 person likes this.
  3. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Dinny - I am not going to discount your experience. My argument is not that all members of the Indian military have committed crimes, but certain regiments have under support from the government during war committed atrocities. Also military of every country uses rape as a tool of violence during war, not just India. But if they are guilty they need to be punished.

My father-in-law and brother-in-law are both Ex-Indian Navy. My fil served in the 1971 war, and my uncle is ex BSF, fought in Kargil. My father-in-law and Uncle both suffer from PTSD - war crimes they reveal that will always haunt them, which include extreme torture on women and young children. It is my Uncle who told me about some of the instances, which encouraged me to read about it.

One of my friend was terribly stalked and crazed out by an Indian Army officer, phone calls at 12 in the night, stalking her till her apartment. She lived in Colaba, Navy Nagar, in Bombay - an area that is highly populated by folks of armed forces. When she complained to the cops they did not take it seriously. In fact, the excuse given to her was "she should not stay out late, dress decently..." Furthermore she was told that "these men are lonely and hence need some friendship!"

Does this mean all Indian Army Officers are that way - certainly not! We do know of a lot of civilians who do such acts. Anyways I think what Bhuvnidhi said - we do respect the work our armed forces do, but that does not mean that we become blind to what is wrong.

6 people like this.
  4. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

i agree to that.
    every family has a black sheep....Indian army is a big family and there are some black sheeps.

1 person likes this.
  5. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Lets not wear blinkers on our eyes, rape has been an instrument of suppression and punishment throughout the ages and armies have been actively involved in atrocities all over the world.
    There are gory stories of how women performed 'jauhar' to escape torture and rape from enemy hordes.
    Even today women are targeted to take revenge in a family/caste feud to punish the men!

There will never be any harsh , fast track justice as the law makers are the law breakers themselves and are guilty of more heinous crimes.
    See and hear the cheap comments of the netas , calling a colleague 'tanch maal ' -Digvijay Singh , the lady in question laughed away !

2 people like this.
  6. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Hmmm
    Genghis Khan's army was famous for it.
    But that was centuries back.

I still find it hard to believe that a CO( commanding officer) will ever ask his solider's to rape women just to bring a situation under control.
    Now lets not generalize things here.
    I completely agree to what Arch1209 had to say that its not about all the men in uniform but some of them.
    So Lets stop dragging ARMY as a whole to this discussion again and again.And lets stop giving the readers a skewed view of Indian army.

Those men in uniform deserve more respect than this.

Rape is a sensitive issue and i dont want anyone to think that i am supporting anyone who is involved in this heinous crime.
    I am one of those who supports capital punishment to all rapists.Nothing less.

3 people like this.
  7. Vanitharaju

Vanitharaju New IL'ite

Ladies at the rapists home should punish them.That is their mothers,wives,daughters, and sisters they must punish them with their behaviour.If they are ignored by their beloveds then they will realise i think.Unless they themselves nobody will mend them.

1 person likes this.
  8. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

The grandma of one of the culprit changes his DOB and claims he is juvenile.She should also be punished.What kind of people are these people.Does the lady want to justify a henious act now?The people who support them including the lawyer who defends should be hung.

4 people like this.
  9. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

My previous post 15 has some of the evidence.

10. zainabsarfraz

zainabsarfraz Platinum IL'ite

Weather its a politician/ Army person/ Public servant/ PM of India or a commoner, Rape in any case is not acceptable, Capital punishment is a must for the rapist and people who support these rapist by hiding and manupilating facts should also be put behind bars.

2 people like this.