Let’s make INDIA safe for women

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by sumathianand, Feb 27, 2013.

1. sumathianand

sumathianand New IL'ite

Let’s make INDIA safe forwomen

WOMAN – a name that is enough to describe her roles,she is a mother, a sister, a daughter, a wife, a friend, and many morerelations that are being bind by her, a saying says “A house can be buildby anyone but a Woman can make it a home” . Everything is incompletewithout her, but in my India, she is unsafe before her birth and after thattoo. The issue is not new, it’s like since ages but still uncontrolled.

Yes, she is not safeprior her birth, a family can borne a boy but not a girl, so why to bring herin this world? Why not to kill her in womb itself? Why to let her open her eyesand see this world? Finish it off!!! And a girl has to die before her birth. “Naaaana is des meri laado”.

And if a girl takesbirth, then she is not safe here, though the age could be 1 month or 50 yearsor even more or less. She can be raped anywhere, anytime, by any number ofpeople who proudly call them “MAN”.

The worst situation ofdecreasing sex ratio and its adverse effects were marvellously depicted in theprogramme “Satyamev Jayate” (an initiative by Mr. Amir Khan), where the boys ofHaryana are not getting brides to marry.

Still parents do notwant a girl.

“Reducing the age ofgetting married” is not a solutionfor this, because if it would have been the positive output then could anybodyplease let me know why the married women are not spared of getting raped?I think this could be changed if we change our outlook, instead of advisingthe girls not to go out when its dark, the parents should teach their sons to behavewell, to respect women, should teach them she is not a commodity, she havefeelings too, while raping you are not only hurting her physically but mentallyand emotionally too, you can get some enjoyment but have you ever realizedafter this hilarious act would there be any fun in her life? Can she everovercome this trauma, I think no....

Keeping my fingers crossed, I wish every parent shouldcontribute in making India safe for women”.

2 people like this.

2. shreyajain

shreyajain New IL'ite

I agree with what you say in this article. But I also feel that there are so many other crimes that are happening against the women in India. Not only rape, but girls who are abducted through smaller cities and towns, are bought and sold in metropolitans. I ask you, isn't that another form of rape in itself?

These pimps and johns lure these young girls and kids to help them earn money and transport them to cities like Delhi and Mumbai where they force them into bonded labour and prostitution.

It's such a pain to even think about the kind of atrocities these women and children go through on a regular basis. I strongly believe the government should stop behaving carelessly towards passing laws and amendments. Rather they must do something strict to stop these crimes like rape, extortion, trafficking, assaults that keep happening around us and save this country from the minute-by-minute torture. Of course, we also need to change our mindset and the patriarchal views that have engulfed Indian mindsets since ages. Hope you'd agree.

Regards
    S

3. swaroo

swaroo Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Thought to share my very close friend, Priya Dharmavarapu's, who is a media person, personal experience at the very famous Paradise Restaurant, Secunderabad. The link is given below, this was her blog post and everyone made sure that this went viral in all SN sites and now the case has been seriously taken..

Paradise no more | Reporting Live
    In Priya's words:

For all those living in Hyderabad, India, Paradise hotel is synonymous to biryani and is one of the most visited restaurants in the city. Located in Secunderabad, the hotel was so iconic that it lent its name to the place where it is. I say ‘was iconic’ because it no longer is, for me anyways.

Last night, I was there with my family celebrating my mother’s birthday. After dinner, we came down and were waiting for our car to be brought around by the valet. There was this one woman who was selling mogra flowers, a street hawker, right near the restaurant.

Now Paradise for whatever reasons has bouncers as security personnel outside its premises. My husband, my cousins and I were just talking about what was an outright lecherous look of a bouncer towards this woman, when another bouncer walked in (at this point, the woman was surrounded by four bouncers) and asked her to move away from there. Now, I understand that the parking area is managed by these guys, but what right they have to order people off the roads? Anyways, even as she began to walk away, the bouncer pushed her to the ground–yes on a road where traffic flow is quite heavy; snatched her basket of flowers, tore them and began to hit the woman. When we along with the other customers started to scream and run towards the bouncer hitting the woman, he pushed her again to the ground, and ran inside the Paradise garage.

We were quite enraged at this point and ran inside the garage only to be stopped by other bouncers who told us to ‘get lost’ and one went to the extent of saying that the woman was beaten because she was ‘drunk’ and ‘misbehaving’. By this time, a considerably big crowd had gathered all of them demanding for the bouncer to be handed over. Not only were the other bouncers and security guard protecting the culprit but they went a step ahead and threatened customers to leave or forfeit their cars which were in the garage.

In a matter of seconds, the bouncers also began closing the garage doors and had barricaded one of the entrances to the hotel. A so-called Manager appeared on the scene, behind the barricades and told us to leave, saying “You are making a scene out of nothing”.

At this point, I called 108 and had also informed a couple of media houses about the incident. Soon, i saw a Rakshak vehicle (police patrol jeep) and stopped the vehicle and informed them of the incident. When the SI, one Shiva Prasad, asked the security guard what happened he said “nothing happened these guys are just making a big deal out of nothing”. When the police went inside to get the guy, they could not find the guy either. But what was heartening, at this point to see were the many people who had witnessed the incident, coming forward and informing the police. Many had waited for the police to come to complaint.

When i spoke to the other women hawkers there they told me that they are bullied on a daily basis by the Paradise security men. “They push us around, spoil our flowers and sometimes even grope us. We put up with it because we have no choice and have to do this for a living,” said one of the hawkers Lakshmi.

This is the appalling state of affairs in our city and country. What did the guy who pushed that woman and beat her think? That no one would react or that he would get away with it? I guess he thought both. And for all that i know, he might actually get away with it. While i did file a complaint with the SI, am yet to hear about the actual details and realistically speaking, i know that Paradise can ‘afford’ to bribe their way out of this incident. Their reputation will be hardly hit if the media does not take up the issue. Despite, working with the media i feel thoroughly helpless and frustrated that this matter has not been brought to light (as yet atleast) And so decided to go ahead and blog about it.

The manager who was apprehended by the police last night was almost nonchalant and seemed assured that nothing would come out of this.

But what caught my attention was this- even as i was ashamed that something like this happened in my city, the number of my fellow Hyderabadis who rose to the occassion and fought for this woman who believe me was quite shaken and scared.

There are a lot of underlying issues here. One of class and gender. The inequality of it all. This security guard aka bouncer was assured of his management’s support and hence took the step of assaulting a hapless woman. A woman he knew, would not be able to fight back on her own. By calling her a drunk, the other bouncers somehow felt they had the moral authority to hit a woman. What was disgusting was the complete lack of responsibility on the part of the management.This attitude that she is no body so we can do whatever needs to be cracked down on not to mention these so called security guards need to be sensitised.

At a time when there is so much public anger on the lack of safety for women, this incident just goes to show how much work’s to be done when it comes to this issue. But, I have hope now. Hope, that people will no longer stay quiet when incidents like this happen. Often, it takes one person to react-(in this case it was my family which reacted in unison)- to encourage other bystanders to stop being spectators. If the police takes action against these guys, they will be setting a wonderful precedent in the city. The incident also brought to the fore the concept of safety for thousands of women employed like this. Who are they to approach when such things take place and to what extent is justice actually delivered? Apart from strengthening laws, its time we even think of how to make women aware of their rights so that they can fight back.

And yes i know for a fact that I will NEVER step foot into that restaurant or any of its branches again or even order from there. The only way these big establishments will understand the gravity of what happened last night is when people begin to boycott them.

I generally don’t ask for my blog posts to be shared, but this one i will. Please read and share this as widely as possible. We need to come together to teach a lesson to these guys and cut their arrogance. This might be a long shot, but i believe in the power of social media.

May 5 Update: The issue has been picked up by almost all mainstream papers in Hyderabad – The Hindu, The Hans India, New Indian Express and Times of India. Paradise has informed all these media houses that they have terminated the services of the security agency and the bouncer Prakash yadav has been arrested and was sent to the magistrate yesterday morning ie May 4 morning. The blog post has also gone viral on FB and Twitter. I want to thank all those who read, shared, tweeted and reblogged this post for spreading the message.

2 people like this.
  4. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this.

5. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

Boycott the Paradise restaurant !!

6. DoesntMatter

DoesntMatter Silver IL'ite

This is so sad, and i see such incidents happening daily. But the crowd going so far to support the hapless woman's case is such a good news, this is a great reason to hope for a better future. The ones i know say things like- these things happen, if you interfere in each and every such incident you will end up in trouble.

1 person likes this.