Mani Ratnam’s son is CPM star

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Jlatch, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jlatch

Jlatch New IL'ite

Coimbatore, March 31: In the midst of all the political stalwarts at the CPI(M) party congress here, a young 16-year-old boy is the real star attraction. He is Nandan Maniratnam, son of celebrated filmmaker Mani Ratnam and award-winning actor and director Suhasini, who is working as a volunteer with the foreign delegates at the conference.

On Monday, scores of journalists and television crews were seen chasing the handsome young man for some comments on his book Contours of Leninism, which will be released by West Bengal’s finance minister Asim Dasgupta at the congress on Tuesday.

When the boy finally agreed to speak to the media, it was only after getting clearance from party seniors. "I am not a member of the party. I am not old enough to be one," he said, appearing distinctly uncomfortable with the media attention. When asked if his parents approved of his association with the Left, Nandan shot back: "There are so many young volunteers around here, but you are not asking them how their parents feel about it."

Nandan’s association with the CPI (M) began nine months ago. "He came on his own. He has read Marx, Lenin and others. But he is not a member of the party," said Tamil Nadu CPI(M) secretariat member G. Ramakrishnan.
    The boy’s Marxist work was published by Barathi Puthagalayam, which is run by the party. The author does not really like to call it a book.
    "It’s a pamphlet, hardly 27 pages. It’s on Lenin and all those influenced by him like Stalin and Mao," he said.

It is interesting how this Class 12 student managed to absorb Marxism in such minute detail despite being a student at the elite American International School in Chennai’s Taramani locality. His pamphlet has impressive interpretations of abstract Marxism. "Marxism is the most cogent theory and practice ever devised. So it is but natural that anyone is attracted. It is essentially a scientific approach to class struggle," said Nandan confidently when a reporter asked how he had been attracted to the ideology of the party. "Anyone who is interested in an honest assessment of the working class struggle will be attracted to Marxism," added Nandan.

The boy insisted there was no particular reason or factor that had drawn him to Marxism. "I wasn’t inspired by any one thing, but then Marxism doesn’t need any inspiration."
    What are his plans: a Marxist political career, perhaps? No comment. A diffident smile, a shrug and he was gone, back to the fold of the Marxists.

Courtesy - The Asian Age, 1st Apr '08

2. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

hi JL,

thanks for posting this info
    even in rediff.com i saw some info abt this
    looking for his foto to see whether he looks like mom or dad
    in hasan's fmly all are arivu jeevi only

3. Jlatch

Jlatch New IL'ite

Hi Suja,

Nandan's photo was published in today's paper of Deccan chronicle, chennai edition. Also check @ ibnlive.com/nation
    I think, he reassembles more of Suhasini w/ his similing face...

Yeah, i too agree that he belongs to a great family where people come fwd independently with their thoughts... Kudos to this young chap...

Jlatch

4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Wow.. a book at 16.. way to go buddy!!!

What was I doing at 16.. probably dreaming fairy tales, I guess ;)

5. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

6. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

Interesting information ! Hope he talks properly instead of limited usage of words like dialogues from his dad's movies ;-)

7. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Thanks for sharing, Jlatch...

Welcome...Nandan...

8. sorna

sorna Senior IL'ite

thanks for the info.

9. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

wow,
    booklet on marxist theories at 16....way to go, Nandan...
    seems to have inherited the intellect of the hassan family,and maniratnam's "man of few words" trait...nice answers to the media...(as they say, u don't have to teach a young fish to swim...:) )

rgds,
    sowpar

10. Revathi

Revathi Senior IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this news jlatch.
    thanks for the link nivedhi.