Condos close to DPS - suggestions needed

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by miyer, Apr 15, 2013.

1. miyer

miyer Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    My husbands EP just came through and we will be processing mine and my toddlers dependent passes shortly. we are planning to send our 2.5 yrs old toddler to DPS and would like to rent a fully furnished condo close to DPS. My husbands office is close to sime darby center and since he has a hectic schedule and works close to 18 hrs days, i do want to see if we can find a condo somewhere close to dps and his workplace.

what areas can i look at? can you suggest any specific condos or apartments that we can look at? my max budget is 3500-4000. husband is more worried abt me and son having school and markets nearby and doesnt really mind the travel to work.

but your suggestions are much needed. husband is travelling end of the month to singapore to check out the rentals and school and I want to give him a list of places that he can scout.

Thank you.

miyer

2. miyer

miyer Senior IL'ite

Dear singapore ILs...
    can you pls give me some suggestions and help me out???

3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi M,

Welcome to SG :)

I am not familiar with that area, but i think your budget is fine, you will be able to gat a condo with that. Hope our ILs around DPS will reply with more details.

Best!

4. miyer

miyer Senior IL'ite

thanks Akila,
    it feels great to see your reply :)

lets see how things go... my toddler is pretty fast-at 27 months he is teaching himself to sound letters and can write abt 15 alphabets and i want him to enjoy his school and have fun... thats my main intention when trying to stay close to his school...
    will wait for the ladies to post their suggestions,,,,

1 person likes this.
  5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi M,

wow! he sure sounds like a bright child and am sure he is a cute and sweet kid! hugs to him. You are right about staying close to school.... hope you will find one soon :)

1 person likes this.
  6. blatha

blatha Junior IL'ite

There are few condos like Kovan melody, Kovan residences which are at walkable distance to dps school. They are also walkable to kovan mrt. Pls check.
    Regards
    Latha

7. miyer

miyer Senior IL'ite

thanks Latha.. will check them out and have the husband look them up...

-M

8. ras574

ras574 New IL'ite

HI Miyer!

I am not able to pm you. Do you find any good place near DPS? We are planning to move from US, considering DPS for its ICSE syllabus. Looking for safe, lively, kids friendly neighborhood place. Any suggestion? Thanks

9. miyer

miyer Senior IL'ite

Hello Ras574,

Change of plans... we didn't put my son in DPS as my husbands office was too far and that we didn't want our 2.5 yr old to travel so much for school. what we did instead was to put him in a neighbourhood playschool in Bukit Batok where we managed to find a spacious condo with parks and other child friendly parks nearby.
    He will go to DPS/GISS/NPS/Yuvabharathi next yr or the yr after for his class 1.

Sorry I couldn't give you any help on the DPS front. But a lot of ppl I have spoken to mention kovan as a good place if you have kids in DPS. I believe Kovan melody was mentioned. You might want to check that. in the meanwhile, let me check with others here and see if they can help narrow down some places/apts for you close to DPS. will take some time though..

Another school Yuvabharathi was mentioned by a friend here. the School is in Jurong west and closest to where I stay. Please check that out too.

coming to child friendly areas... I like bukit batok and specifically where I stay the MRT is closeby, parks at walking distance and best of all and indian store so I don't need to make the long tedious shopping trips to Mustafa too often. Let me know if you need any other details..

and I am planning on scheduling a school visit to DPS, NPS and Yuvabharathi next month sometime. let me know if you need any specific questions answered. I can ask them and get the answers to you. and based on the visit I will decide which school and then shift house close to the school...

hope this helps...

and do let me know how your school search goes :)

-Miyer

10. ras574

ras574 New IL'ite

Hi Miyer,

Truly appreciate your reply. You are so kind to share valuable details and it helps a lot. We are still at initial stage of negotiation. We zeroed in DPS (just that they have ICSE syllabus as I mentioned before). My DH will be working near Raffles Place. We are looking for place in and around Novena (seems to be lively), just would like to know about commute time for kids from Novena to DPS (distance 7kms). Here in US it takes 5-7 minutes from home to school, btw classes, library, shops, public transportation at walkable distance. I would prefer them to spend less time in traveling. Also, I prefer to walking to places (shops, parks, one of my priority - library for kids at walkable distance) as well as MRT close by.

As you mentioned "coming to child friendly areas... I like bukit batok and specifically where I stay the MRT is closeby, parks at walking distance and best of all and indian store so I don't need to make the long tedious shopping trips to Mustafa too often."

I would love to live in such a friendly neighborhood, but closer to school. Bukit seems to be far from DPS. If you can suggest kid friendly neighborhood similar to yours but closer to DPS, that would be helpful. I need at least 1000Sqft, please shed some light - rent
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]perspective, how much do I need to shell out. I am not a big fan of high rise, club house, swimming pool, indoor playground etc... [/FONT]We would like to consider non-HDB places as of now. L[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]ove to be in low rise, vibrant, kid friendly, close by/walkable to MRT, park, kids classes, library, shops. I am not sure my expectations are reasonable. Thanks[/FONT]